U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-06-2011, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Why not just reduce the price and sell it "as is". Robyn
Good idea. I'm not convinced that it pays back to sink any money into a house. Sell as is and get the best price possible, before the huge flood of boomer homes come on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2011, 03:59 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,618 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Reputation: 23772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Why not just reduce the price and sell it "as is". Robyn
really depends on the need / local market.

Due to the fact there are fewer buyers at the moment, I note that really spiffed homes have the best probability to sell quick at a reasonable price. (I keep a very close eye on RE).

When you enter the market as a 'fixer', you really restrict your buyers to those with a 'vision' and energy / $$ to fix it up. You also suffer on appraisal / confidence of the bank, and 'winning-the-sale' (quickly).

You can make up a spreadsheet and spend a day with several high performing RE agency BROKERS (not agents) and get a feel for the cost / benefit of the project.

Best wishes on selling, I'm not having any luck (and again torpedoed by my assessor). Valuation dropped by 70% but taxes went up. 30 seconds away (another county), the property taxes are 1/10th of my rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 04:35 AM
 
7,029 posts, read 6,996,426 times
Reputation: 5857
Default Selling As Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Why not just reduce the price and sell it "as is". Robyn
Is this market and in our area (north metro ATL), houses do not sell if they need work. Couples want it "move-in ready." The ones that sell are updated, clean, and well decorated. Ones that need work sit on the market forever and sell at very reduced prices.

Our only hope for a decent price is to try to finish up the painting, plumbing updates, etc. and put it up for sale next spring.

My original post was whether to try to sell the house next spring or wait a year in hopes that that the market will improve. HOWEVER, if we wait until spring 2013, I'm concerned many Boomers will also have the same plan and the market will be flooded with large homes they are trying to dump. This competition will knock down the prices, perhaps further. It's a conundrum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
HOWEVER, if we wait until spring 2013, I'm concerned many Boomers will also have the same plan and the market will be flooded with large homes they are trying to dump. This competition will knock down the prices, perhaps further.
I'm absolutely convinced of this. That's why I got out of my last house this past year, taking a lower price, convinced that it's now or wait for a rebound in the market that may not occur in my lifetime. I sold at the "best" of my house--newer roof, furnace, etc. and had just had all the ceilings and walls painted, the floors refinished, the siding stained. If I'd waited to sell, it would be only a matter of time to have to start all over again on these things. When I stop to think about what my "profit" really was, I'd really be down. But at least I got out at a reasonable gain.

The boomers flooding the market and possibly more foreclosures will drive down prices for SF homes. Plus, as you say, the younger couples want perfect and they can get that in newer-built homes---why buy an older money pit?

The boomer demand for very small SF homes with no yard, condos, and townhouses will climb now. Owners of these kinds of places can hold their price pretty much. I'd like to see some numbers on what boomers are going for now (condo, townhouse, etc). The boomer wave, imo, is going to change the housing market dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Reputation: 29076
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm absolutely convinced of this. That's why I got out of my last house this past year, taking a lower price, convinced that it's now or wait for a rebound in the market that may not occur in my lifetime. I sold at the "best" of my house--newer roof, furnace, etc. and had just had all the ceilings and walls painted, the floors refinished, the siding stained. If I'd waited to sell, it would be only a matter of time to have to start all over again on these things. When I stop to think about what my "profit" really was, I'd really be down. But at least I got out at a reasonable gain.

The boomers flooding the market and possibly more foreclosures will drive down prices for SF homes. Plus, as you say, the younger couples want perfect and they can get that in newer-built homes---why buy an older money pit?

The boomer demand for very small SF homes with no yard, condos, and townhouses will climb now. Owners of these kinds of places can hold their price pretty much. I'd like to see some numbers on what boomers are going for now (condo, townhouse, etc). The boomer wave, imo, is going to change the housing market dramatically.
Oh, yeah! Condos and townhouses - fancy names for apartments in which you may gain some equity but still pay "rent" for the space they're built on.

I know, I know. Everyone's mileage may differ. That's simply one man's opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 AM
 
5,397 posts, read 6,540,598 times
Reputation: 10472
yep, money pit. i just walked around the house to check and found a pin prick leak in my pool pump spraying water everywhere. which has to be fixed before it gets worse and blows the whole pump.

before that it was updating the irrigation system because the county has new requirements for backflow with no grandfathered in properties.

the day will come when i sell and I probably will rent the next time around. I 'may' rent from one of my children if they want to have an investment property and it is where I want to live. But doesn't really matter.

houses become money pits for retirees unless you want to do investments and rentals. then it is just a cost of doing business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 07:27 PM
 
34 posts, read 66,000 times
Reputation: 26
We agree. Where in NY are you living? We are looking for a place with a good acreage, where we can have a small home and garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 07:31 PM
 
34 posts, read 66,000 times
Reputation: 26
Where in Ponte Vedra are you living? My husband and I are currently looking at the Jacksonville (and south) area of FLorida to move to. We want a yard so that I can do organic gardening. Do you have suggestions? Thanks, Betsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 08:04 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Reputation: 29076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebe8528 View Post
We agree. Where in NY are you living? We are looking for a place with a good acreage, where we can have a small home and garden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebe8528 View Post
Where in Ponte Vedra are you living? My husband and I are currently looking at the Jacksonville (and south) area of FLorida to move to. We want a yard so that I can do organic gardening. Do you have suggestions? Thanks, Betsy
Betsy, it might help if you indicate to whom you're directing the questions. Perhaps the easiest way is to do what I did which is hit "quote" in the lower, right-hand corner and then type in your questions or remarks.

I copied your first "quote" then pasted it above your second for this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 AM
 
7,029 posts, read 6,996,426 times
Reputation: 5857
Default Organic Gardening in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebe8528 View Post
Where in Ponte Vedra are you living? My husband and I are currently looking at the Jacksonville (and south) area of FLorida to move to. We want a yard so that I can do organic gardening. Do you have suggestions? Thanks, Betsy
Unless you are familiar with what will grow in FL, beware. Many plants that grow "up north" do NOT grow in FL. Different soil, climate, etc.

When we lived in SoFL, the big box stores sold all sorts of plants and flowers that died quickly because they were never meant to be planted in FL. Finally, we took a friend's advice and "only planted what grew along side the road." This worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top