Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

In a story that should be close to your heart, I retired and my wife and I bought a 1200 sq ft home in a gated community west of Phoenix. I had a pool and the community had a pool, two golf courses, gym and resturants. We weren't there six months before I was forced to take in my son and it was looking like I might have t take my mother.
I bought a larger house 2400 sq ft, no pool in the same complex. It never worked out, we never used the facilities, they charged me extra for my son, and the local "Republican Club " made life impossible for anyone who wouldn't goosestep to their tune. Two years later, just before the bubble burst, I sold for double what I had paid and went back to renting in San Francisco.
The wife loves San Francisco but prices there were still prohibitive so I gave each person a piece of paper to write down five places they would want to live. I took the list, removed any doubles and then we passed it around, each scratching one place in turn. That is how we came up with Ft Huachuca. It was the last place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
In a story that should be close to your heart, I retired and my wife and I bought a 1200 sq ft home in a gated community west of Phoenix. I had a pool and the community had a pool, two golf courses, gym and resturants. We weren't there six months before I was forced to take in my son and it was looking like I might have t take my mother.
I bought a larger house 2400 sq ft, no pool in the same complex. It never worked out, we never used the facilities, they charged me extra for my son, and the local "Republican Club " made life impossible for anyone who wouldn't goosestep to their tune. Two years later, just before the bubble burst, I sold for double what I had paid and went back to renting in San Francisco.
The wife loves San Francisco but prices there were still prohibitive so I gave each person a piece of paper to write down five places they would want to live. I took the list, removed any doubles and then we passed it around, each scratching one place in turn. That is how we came up with Ft Huachuca. It was the last place
Well, that's one way to land. Thankfully, we arrived at our decision somewhat more directly. My wife had lived in the Ozarks for seven years back in the 70s and loved and missed the area. I'd admired it ever since passing through a few times in the 50s and 60s on the original Route 66. Seemed like a marriage made in heaven. Here we are and here we're gonna stay - only about 40 miles from where my wife had lived way back when.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebe8528 View Post
Where in Ponte Vedra are you living? My husband and I are currently looking at the Jacksonville (and south) area of FLorida to move to. We want a yard so that I can do organic gardening. Do you have suggestions? Thanks, Betsy
I live in Marsh Landing. It's a gated community. I guess my main advice to you would be to stay out of the gated communities here - perhaps some non-gated HOAs as well. Because of the landscaping rules. Assuming you're talking about something like a real vegetable garden (as opposed to a few plants/herbs in containers). Robyn

Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
The bottom line is everyone rents. Life is even rented. I think when considering where and how to live it should be a financial decision. "Buying a home has the possibility of a reverse mortgage at retirement time. Then again owning and added cost can take away from potential long term investments which can enhance the retirement years.

It's basically rent verse rent. I have yet to see anyone buried along with a home they bought and paid for.. People make the payments and handle all the cost only to leave it to someone else who sells it and pockets the profit without any of the long term headaches.

So consider the financials and rent a home or rent an apartment.. I have never seen a hearse with a luggage rack and everyone in most instances ends up in a casket. I'm not trying to be a downer but none of us will get out of life alive so we should live as best we can for as long as we can.. We come into the world naked and leave with nothing.. Live,,,People Liveeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I'm not trying to be a downer but none of us will get out of life alive so we should live as best we can for as long as we can.. We come into the world naked and leave with nothing.. Live,,,People Liveeeeeeeeeeeeee.
But you're doing a damn good job of it nonetheless.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, I awoke this morning with both pulse and respiration. Correct me if I'm wrong but that would seem to indicate that at least for today I am living.

Now then, should I awake tomorrow, or not, without one or both of those then odds are I won't be living any longer. If that occurs with both my wife and me then in time our home will be sold and the proceeds divided between our children - about enough for each for a nice night on the town in today's economy.

But first of all, we will have assumed room temperature. Ergo, we really won't give a damn. Secondly, we will have done so in our own home on our own land.

This is strictly a personal view but I find the above far preferable to expiring on someone else's plot.

Side Note: If I was in Oakland I might not recognize the difference between living or the alternative.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But you're doing a damn good job of it nonetheless.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, I awoke this morning with both pulse and respiration. Correct me if I'm wrong but that would seem to indicate that at least for today I am living.

Now then, should I awake tomorrow, or not, without one or both of those then odds are I won't be living any longer. If that occurs with both my wife and me then in time our home will be sold and the proceeds divided between our children - about enough for each for a nice night on the town in today's economy.

But first of all, we will have assumed room temperature. Ergo, we really won't give a damn. Secondly, we will have done so in our own home on our own land.

This is strictly a personal view but I find the above far preferable to expiring on someone else's plot.

Side Note: If I was in Oakland I might not recognize the difference between living or the alternative.
Not to mention the fact that, esp if you own your own home free and clear, you will never have to leave due to any landlord decision. And, as you indicate, you die with your boots on in your own place on your own terms, not with some renter above, under, or beside you blaring their TV or music as you draw your last breath. These thoughts are what keep me holding on in my own place, thankfully.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 PM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
owning is no guarantee of anything. if you dont like the landlord you can move. if you have a house you own the neighborhood can change and you no longer want to be there either and have to move.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:12 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
owning is no guarantee of anything. if you dont like the landlord you can move. if you have a house you own the neighborhood can change and you no longer want to be there either and have to move.
Or property taxes or homeowners insurance can increase and exceed your ability to pay them.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yes, you and Windwalker point out the downsides of owning, esp while still in the workforce. But all increases in property taxes and insurance translate to...hikes in rents.

I myself would actually love to make my last stop in a big brownstone walkup in Boston or Brookline or Portland, Maine on the harbor.

BTW, how's it going with the sale of your Pocono home?

Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
very quiet in the poconos. perhaps it will p/u in the spring.

i was in boston a few months ago. what a fabulous city. my first time there too.

we took accella from nyc to boston ,it travels over 120 miles an hour.

if it wasnt so cold i could see living in boston forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement