U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 AM

7,003 posts, read 7,568,851 times

Advertisements

Anifani - It all (akmost all) sounds wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 AM

35,885 posts, read 68,197,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Anifani

All your hard work will pay off. I commend you for being so resourceful in your renovations. You may be able to find a retiree who will do the carpentry for a more reasonable price. Before you know it your place will be done, to either live in yourself, or sell. Good luck on the whole process
Thank you, NEGirl! Yes, the work is coming together and will definitely pay off, regardless of what we do in the future. Retrofitting for energy efficiency has made a difference in utility costs, so that is a "savings" right there. Our son had to move in during Nov - Jan, while waiting for a rental house (occupants bought a foreclosed property and the original Oct. closing date kept getting bumped). Altho this has been a warmer than usual winter, the electricity and gas costs were dramatically lower than in years past. We are hoping that is a trend due to more energy efficiency, and not merely a lucky break due to a mild winter.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-11-2012 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-11-2012, 10:38 AM

23,604 posts, read 32,126,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
We looked at the possibility, but as far as we can tell from our discussions with those that have gone that route, the outcomes are disappointing at best. With all the complaints we've heard about onerous HOA boards, covenants, and poor upkeep, we've decided to just dramatically downsize -- if we can ever find a small home in an attractive area that doesn't have trashy yards, decorated with an over abundance of old vehicles parked around them, and old appliances.
We have as property owners association that is not at all intrusive. Our community is all single-family homes on the shore of a large lake and we all are part owners of the roads, a boat ramp, a park, a community center, a lighted helipad for emergency medical evacuation if required (we're 22 miles from the nearest hospital) and a pool. The POA takes care of the roads, including snow clearance on the relatively rare occasion that's necessary, all commonly owned areas and vacant, unsold lots of which there are a handful left. It also maintains the community wells from which we get our water.

We do have an annual assessment for all of this; a walloping $205 a YEAR. That's it. We also pay a base fee for water which is $30 a QUARTER. It will be higher if you do a lot of watering which is rarely necessary.

New construction has to be approved by the board to insure that no one puts in a McMansion but that's about as restrictive as it gets. Our lots are a quarter acre or more and we own them individually. Pride in community keeps everything neat and trimmed and there's no junk or old cars lying about. We think that's about as good as it gets in this close, supportive community of about 220 homes.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 68,197,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Anifani - It all (akmost all) sounds wonderful!
Thank you, Umbria! Day by day . . .

I just took my doggie out for walkies and I gotta tell ya - it is a bit nippy out there, lol. Wind is still under 20 mph, snow is still coming down - just beautiful! I didn't freeze while outside, but I sure do wish I had packed my "longjohns!"

I put some laundry in and am sitting here figuring out a shade garden that I can't wait to start working on in the coming months.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,508,620 times
Personally.and in talking to firends owning a home that was prepared for retiremnt has been fiancially a blessing.Just firends I know who went the rent route have moved at least tweo times which is always a hassell.Perosnally having lived in condo and apartments ;there is no way I couldn't go that and to rent a equal house would be even more expensive really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or