Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

A lot of people here - me included - have mentioned reasonable home maintenance costs - without specifying dollar amounts.

And it entered my mind that one person's "reasonable" may be another person's "budget buster".

So to give you some idea of what I find where I live. General "show up" cost for someone like a plumber or an appliance repair person or an electrician will be about $90. For 20-30 minutes. If repair is possible - but parts are not on truck - the initial cost will be applied to the next visit where the repair is done.

Our lawn and weed maintenance cost is $100 month. My husband is the mow and blow guy - and I do a fair amount of gardening too - but we won't handle chemicals. Probably $100-200/ year for landscape equipment as it has to be replaced. Pool maintenance for a really small pool (we don't have a pool) is about the same. Tree work is *very* expensive (workers' comp for tree guys here runs 125% of payroll). We spend about $1.5k/year keeping our trees in shape (we have lots of them on almost an acre). We also have a landscaping service come in once a year in the spring to prune shrubs - define lawn edges - re-sod small areas if necessary. $500. Note that we love our lot - everything that's on it. It's our park. YMMV - and if this is not your cup of tea - don't wind up on almost an acre with dozens of big trees! Just like I couldn't see paying 10 cents to own a dog .

We've had the same home handyman for over a decade (he was the super on our house). He does a lot of stuff for us. And I can't say that what he charges us for X, Y or Z makes any rhyme or reason (sometimes he charges us more than we expect - sometimes less). Think it depends on what's going on in his financial life from month to month. In any event - we budget about $500-750/year for him for the small things that pop up.

I pay my housekeepers $85/week for 2 people working about 60-90 minutes/week. They are self-employed - very fast and efficient. Might seem like a lot - but they have to pay for their health insurance too.

We were fortunate to build our house in the 90's - when appliances were designed to last for at least a decade. Today - I think people are happy when they last for 3 years. Budget accordingly.

People have other mechanical stuff in their houses. Like the HVAC system (or whatever people use up north ). Hot water heater. We also have a water softener and a hot water recirculating pump. Items like this all have useful lives. And you have to budget for their regular replacement.

Anyway - perhaps others of you here will discuss what "reasonable" means to you. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Often the helping others (at my convenience ) becomes a demand/expectation on their part, thus I try to avoid such.

Getting back to the OP's request for information and a bit of an aside, I think we could aid each other more (on this subject as on others) if we stuck to advice/information rather then lament/brag about ones personal situation.
Oh, bother! I rather enjoy the back-and-forth, the exchange of ideas and experiences. I don't consider posts of success or failures in terms of bragging or lamenting. I look upon them as valuable lessons for others about what has worked and what hasn't.

But then, I also look at the glass as half full!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Now...that sounds like my kind of place. And to have a neighbor who will help out? The people who live around us (I'm debating whether to call them neighbors or not) all keep to themselves and no one talks to anyone...with the exception of the folks next door who were here when we got here 22+ years ago. That's another "thing" I would like in a new location...people who actually help one another out.
We moved north to upstate NY and live out in the country, everyone on our road has about 3 acres and what a great neighborhood. We moved here and didn't know a soul, got a golden retriever puppy and walked every day. Met everyone within two miles. People on our road ages vary from 30-late 70's. If someone needs a fence put in, one guy helps dig holes, one helps cement the posts, etc. Our current project is a 38x40 deck. Almost done, hopefully before the snow falls. We travel 3 hours to doctors, our neighbors are more than happy to keep the dog, overnight or for the day. In summer have constant fresh vegetables from gardens, whoever has too much. Never would move back to cookie cutter land.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
We also believe that it is the upkeep on all these things that keeps us young. Almost everyone that I know that was my parents age(they would be in their late 80's or early 90's now) went down hill fast when they had less to do to manage their lives. Having to plan to take care of the house, mow the lawn, blow the snow, get your own food and cook it, arrange your own entertainment, make new friends, etc., seems to make people live much longer. And when you do it on your own, you get to associate with more people who are younger than you, thus tending to stay young. When everybody is your age, then tend to concentrate on their infirmities and not on having fun in retirement.
I have to agree with you. We handle all our own yard work, taking care of the house, etc. It's great exercise! I build things in the woodshop and rarely watch TV during the day. Plus we walk the dog two miles a day, go to a Silver Swim group twice a week in the winter. If I was in a condo I would become a vegetable in front of the TV.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Thus my near closing comment, "Everyone's mileage will vary." Of course it's not going to work for everyone. I have no idea where the nearest golf course is. I'm sure it's a ways away. Then again, I haven't golfed since college. Nearest hospital is 22 miles away (doctor is four miles closed) but our minimally mixed age community maintains a lighted helipad for emergency evacuations if needed.

Lemons, huh? It takes planning but our larder is always well-stocked so we haven't felt a pinch in that department.

But again, when it comes to retirement, a rising tide DOESN'T raise all the boats equally. We freely acknowledge that one day we may have to move back to "civilization" but if that happens, it will be close to where we are. This is home.
Well I reckon if the nearest grocery store were 18 miles away - I'd come up with a lemon substitute . Note that I have a very nice pantry (we built our house - after many years in condos - I had to have a pantry). But sometimes I forget something.

And I understand what you mean about home. I moved to Florida in 1971 - and it has been home to me since I've been an adult. I have lived in 2 very different parts of Florida over the years - but the whole state is home to me (perhaps because when I was working - I had a statewide law practice - and perhaps because I know how stuff works in Florida after all these years). I go one step over the border into Georgia or Alabama - I might as well be in Kansas.

I think what you might find with the helipad/medical stuff is that most of the medical stuff we need as we get older simply isn't emergency helicopter stuff. It's much more boring routine day to day stuff. OTOH - excellent primary care is important. Can avoid those helicopter rides. I'm familiar with health care in various parts of the US - and thought I might be able to give you some recommendations. But I looked up about where you live - and I'm sorry that I don't anything about your area. Take care, Robyn

Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We moved north to upstate NY and live out in the country, everyone on our road has about 3 acres and what a great neighborhood. We moved here and didn't know a soul, got a golden retriever puppy and walked every day. Met everyone within two miles. People on our road ages vary from 30-late 70's. If someone needs a fence put in, one guy helps dig holes, one helps cement the posts, etc. Our current project is a 38x40 deck. Almost done, hopefully before the snow falls. We travel 3 hours to doctors, our neighbors are more than happy to keep the dog, overnight or for the day. In summer have constant fresh vegetables from gardens, whoever has too much. Never would move back to cookie cutter land.
My husband and I have lived in upstate New York at various times over the course of many decades (Buffalo - Cooperstown - Ithaca - etc. - etc.). I can't imagine any place that's 3 hours away from a doctor. Where do you live - and what kind of doctor are you talking about? Robyn

Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well I reckon if the nearest grocery store were 18 miles away - I'd come up with a lemon substitute . Note that I have a very nice pantry (we built our house - after many years in condos - I had to have a pantry). But sometimes I forget something.

And I understand what you mean about home. I moved to Florida in 1971 - and it has been home to me since I've been an adult. I have lived in 2 very different parts of Florida over the years - but the whole state is home to me (perhaps because when I was working - I had a statewide law practice - and perhaps because I know how stuff works in Florida after all these years). I go one step over the border into Georgia or Alabama - I might as well be in Kansas.

I think what you might find with the helipad/medical stuff is that most of the medical stuff we need as we get older simply isn't emergency helicopter stuff. It's much more boring routine day to day stuff. OTOH - excellent primary care is important. Can avoid those helicopter rides. I'm familiar with health care in various parts of the US - and thought I might be able to give you some recommendations. But I looked up about where you live - and I'm sorry that I don't anything about your area. Take care, Robyn
Thanks but not to worry. We have absolutely excellent, former employer-provided health insurance; to include my, now, Medicare supplement, that honors our local PPO which includes the hospital I spoke of. Our primary care physician is from, deeply attached to this ares and not going anywhere. He's also considerably younger than we are. He'll be around as long as we are, and beyond. [Besides, we're both avid shooters and can talk guns with one another ] Best of all, after a thorough physical last month and every test known to man, he says I'll live! The network provides for home health care for those who need it, hospice care, in-home and without, respite cares services, et al. These were all things we researched prior to making a 2,000 mile move here in retirement.

By the way, my wife and I spend about 15 collective years in senior service legislation for our former state and I wrote a fair number of medically related statutes. We decidedly didn't make our decisions blind.

PS. Minute Maid fresh frozen lemon juice is great!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Often the helping others (at my convenience ) becomes a demand/expectation on their part, thus I try to avoid such.

Getting back to the OP's request for information and a bit of an aside, I think we could aid each other more (on this subject as on others) if we stuck to advice/information rather then lament/brag about ones personal situation.
Somehow...I never got the idea that Curmudgeon was requesting or needed advice. I think Curmudgeon is doing just fine and...as stated...was curious and wanted to initiate some discussion.

And...I can understand your position on whether or not to help or get involved with neighbors. I think we all have to decide what level of involvement we want to encourage. For example...you would NOT see me mowing someone else's lawn. But...I would gladly pick up their mail or simply keep an eye on their property while they are out of town. If someone wanted to be completely uninvolved with neighbors...that's their choice....and I would think they wouldn't expect their neighbors to come running if they needed something.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:20 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
We do 99% of our own work on the house and yes, it is worth it. We hire someone to do a roof check, caulk around the skylights, fireplace and vents on the roof, check all the windows and doorways to make sure everything is water tight and make sure the rain gutters are in good condition - we do everything else. My husband is 65 and I don't want him getting on the roof so we hire that out - everything else we do - plumbing, electrical, yard maintenance, inside maintenance).

We still enjoy having a house and are young enough to need the physical exercise of taking care of a house and yard - I'm sure that will change at some point.

As far as being a money pit - this is true, especially with regards to the flower gardens and lawn but we really enjoy a beautiful yard.

We have our winter projects lined up - take down the horrid wallpaper in the guest room, clean out the two walk-in storage closets in the basement, take off all of the kitchen cabinet door and drawer fronts and slightly sand, re-stain and varnish....we are always actively involved in something and I don't see this as a negative.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
What I'm seeing here on this thread is that a house is a money pit, but it is also a chosen lifestyle. Some of us put money into our homes, hoping for a return (moi) and some of us shell out the money because although we will never get it back, we would not want to live any other way than in our own house (moi, for now).

The difference in health and/or energy between the ages of early-mid sixties (most of us??) and mid-late seventies (where we're headed) can be significant, and those years fly. So to me, planning is very important. Will we age in place in our own current homes (as my mother did, past 90), no matter what? Will we say okay, this (where we are now) is fine for a few years, and then the cost money-wise and personal energy-wise may be too much, and then what? I think it's always a good idea to have a Plan B at this age.

As for money pit, I'm pretty convinced that the $ outlay will probably not bring the return on the investment, as the housing inventory will increase nationally, younger folks will probably not want the kinds of houses we have, and many of us are in areas that will not be good for resale. Our home, as others have said, is no longer a major investment. With that in mind, we can make our decisions from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement