U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:03 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,794,599 times

Advertisements

Lost 15%? I'd like to see the details on your portfolio...don't know who is handling your account--but it would appear they are not doing it very well.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM

3,673 posts, read 4,937,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
How?

Going into today the S&P 500 was basically flat YTD and bond funds are mostly up. (Admittedly, the market lost 2% today, but still....)

I'm still trying to figure out how the OP has lost almost 15% since Jan. 1 in a "pretty diversified" portfolio. Is it posible that he was looking at a statement with an ending period of 9/30? If so, it doesn't take into consideration the close to 10% gain so far in October.

BINGO. right on! good guess.

i just checked and it is period ending 9/30/11

here's my allocation....

• 24%

VFINX
Vanguard 500 Index Inv

• 17%

VHGEX
Vanguard Global Equity Inv

• 8%

VLACX
Vanguard Large Cap Index Inv

• 5%

VMGRX
Vanguard Mid Cap Growth Inv

• 4%

VIMSX
Vanguard Mid Cap Index Inv

• 12%

VISGX
Vanguard Small Cap Growth Index Inv

• 10%

VTTHX
Vanguard Target Retirement 2035

• 10%

VTSMX
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Inv

• 9%

VWUSX
Vanguard Us Growth Inv

Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,028,155 times
Oy vey. Who chose this "diversification" for you? Have you checked the holdings in each of your funds? Bet the ranch there is tons of overlap. Index funds duplicate the holdings in small, mid, large cap and international funds.

You are not diversified. Without knowing your choices, it's hard to identify better options.

You should have had some corporate bonds, mid and long-term treasuries, and reits this year a well as equities.

Looks like you may have your pick of many Vanguard funds. Putting all of it in VWINX would have been a better choice. Not stellar returns, but certainly not a loss. YTD return 5% so far.

You need good advice on a strategy and you need to REBALANCE at least once a year to keep the allocations in line.

Call Vanguard. Or get on their website. There is a better way.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Oy vey. Who chose this "diversification" for you? Have you checked the holdings in each of your funds? Bet the ranch there is tons of overlap. Index funds duplicate the holdings in small, mid, large cap and international funds.

You are not diversified. Without knowing your choices, it's hard to identify better options.

You should have had some corporate bonds, mid and long-term treasuries, and reits this year a well as equities.

Looks like you may have your pick of many Vanguard funds. Putting all of it in VWINX would have been a better choice. Not stellar returns, but certainly not a loss. YTD return at 5% so far.

You need good advice on a strategy and you need to REBALANCE at least once a year to keep the allocations in line.

Call Vanguard. Or get on their website. There is a better way.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,028,155 times
I would also suggest you post this inquiry over on the investment forum. Lots of smart people over there who can steer you in a better direction.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 AM

8,087 posts, read 4,422,299 times
Ariadne is spot on. VGD is a great company, with much to choose from; and you can trust their advise. No offense, but this mix looks odd. There are better and easier ways to get to what you appear to be trying to achieve. Treat it as a learning opportunity, but definitely talk to VGD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post

Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 AM

5,356 posts, read 16,352,909 times
As others have said you are diversified in funds, but not so much diversified in holdings as there is far too much overlap between funds. What I don't see is a bond component. Holding a bond fund would have reduced your unrealized losses as most bond funds have done well in a lower interest rate environment.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
As others have said you are diversified in funds, but not so much diversified in holdings as there is far too much overlap between funds. What I don't see is a bond component. Holding a bond fund would have reduced your unrealized losses as most bond funds have done well in a lower interest rate environment.
Thank you, and thanks everyone.
i will look into it.

to address your comment specifically, i don't want to go with bonds because i'm trying to be as aggressive as possible given that i have a couple of decades worth of time.....

thoughts?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 PM

8,087 posts, read 4,422,299 times
Talk to VGD about what, if any bond component is appropriate for you. Bonds is a entire galaxy by itself, in a universe of investment options.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 PM

219 posts, read 484,667 times
Greed is always a gamble and there are risks to weigh. Contrary to popular belief, greed IS good, or else we would all put our money in non interest bearing accounts until we spend it.

How much one makes on their principal depends on many factors and people go to school and get certifications in planning to be in a position to help you with that decision. They also will provide free planning if you are interested in their product (vehicle) toward your goals.

I am being so painfully obvious and not answering the question because you may want to consider the background of the person giving the advise, which can't be done here with any ease.

BUT, IMHO, real estate, either in title or REIT is always a good, safe way to have your money grow (just don't go overboard on obtaining the asset with debt).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement