U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 04:26 PM

8,221 posts, read 11,939,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Thanks, I just got on their mailing list yesterday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ust so you know robyn passed away earlier in the year
Just as an fyi, that post from Wwanderer was from 2012 and s/he hasn't been active on C/D since last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 05:24 PM

150 posts, read 71,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liznytx26 View Post
Thanks to everyone who's information and experience is so timely for us! I've read all your comments about two homes in retirement and they are so helpful. We are just about there - both of us retiring this year. We own our primary residence in North TX where our kids and grandkids live and 2 places in FL where both of our extended families and our siblings live; a family place in N. FL; a modest retirement community place on Tampa Bay. We are about to make the transition from our home to spend our first few months in Tampa as retired folks. All your comments are so helpful and we're excited to put your advice to good use. I'll comment as we go along if its helpful and we'll learn together!
Thanks for reviving this thread! I hadn't seen it before. We've been there, done that with a second home in the US (we're in Canada), and now that we've sold it, I'm all for renting all over the damn place without having to worry about anything. Hubby is raring to buy a second home in the BC mountains where we could spend our summers. I'm not so sure, but I'm willing to be talked into it. We've done well in real estate and we've done poorly, so okay I guess we could roll the dice again? As the dude from Lethal Weapon famously said..."I'm getting too old for this bleep." LOL.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,824,679 times
Been there and thank goodness done with that.
Had a condo in FL and one in MA, did the 5 months here
and 7 months there thing for 5 yrs until the travelling got
really tired, early on we drove, then shipped the car and
flew, finally sold both condos and decided to give FL a
year long try, bought a pool home on 5 acres, lived it for 3
years, then threw the towel in and moved to the mountains of W. NC, newer home on 65 acres, been here 2 years this Dec., unfortunately my wife developed RA,
The property is on the market, when it sells we're heading to the desert.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 PM

150 posts, read 71,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Been there and thank goodness done with that.
Had a condo in FL and one in MA, did the 5 months here
and 7 months there thing for 5 yrs until the travelling got
really tired, early on we drove, then shipped the car and
flew, finally sold both condos and decided to give FL a
year long try, bought a pool home on 5 acres, lived it for 3
years, then threw the towel in and moved to the mountains of W. NC, newer home on 65 acres, been here 2 years this Dec., unfortunately my wife developed RA,
The property is on the market, when it sells we're heading to the desert.
Oh my goodness, that's exhausting just to read about! Americans are very lucky that they have the spectrum of climates and settings to choose from when they decide where they're going to live. In Canada, if you want a warm winter you have to leave the country. Woe. Good luck in your travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or