U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,811,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I figured that the experience in life people could relate to this topic and could give me some guidance. Obviously, whenever we contemplate retirement, weather plays a BIG part in our choice. What have the good folks in this forum found as far as tollerating weather. My wife and I would like a moderate climate since we can't afford to have two homes, depending on the seasons. So, we'd like to find a one size fits all retirement location. However, I'm wondering what your collective experience has been in tolerating weather. As you have gotten older, is it easier to handle cold weather or hot. I used to think that everyone who got older found cold harder to handle and so wanted to escape south. However, living in Texas I've found that I am having increasing problems handling the heat, and look forward to the cold. What do you say gang?
I prefer the four seasons myself. Not much of a sunbelt guy myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:47 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,422,290 times
I will take the cold any day. We have lived here our entire lives, we retired and stayed. Much happier shoveling snow than worrying about southern hurricanes or western earthquakes.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 AM

400 posts, read 647,290 times
Where I live, on Long Island, the ocean moderates the temperatures so that they are not so polarized between daytime and nighttime. That's one thing to think of when you pick a place. We have very few unbearably hot summer days because of constant ocean breezes, and USUALLY our winters are not as cold as where my boyfriend lives, for example, in the mountains in Vermont. Last winter was an exception, pretty brutal.

Most of the time our snowfall is only a few feet in winter, and we get a lot of sun so it's possible to bundle up and take walks. Just watch out for the ice (didn't care about that years ago, but now find myself looking down at the ground all the time!).

Summers are basically breezy and warm, good for swimming, boating, and all outdoor activities.

Until recently, I had my heart set on south Florida for retirement, as I just love it there in the winter, but now am not so sure I'd be able to handle the heat in summer. I'm getting leery of either extreme as time goes on. I can't afford to have two homes, but I wonder how I'll do in winter here in the future. I hate driving and walking on ice and scraping off/warming up the car in the morning. It just makes me miserable.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:15 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,483,631 times
Snow I would think would be OK if you live near grand kids who can do the shoveling or cutting the grass for you. No place is going to be perfect. I will say this the WC does have some great weather but your going to pay for it.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:51 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
Until recently, I had my heart set on south Florida for retirement, as I just love it there in the winter, but now am not so sure I'd be able to handle the heat in summer. I'm getting leery of either extreme as time goes on. I can't afford to have two homes, but I wonder how I'll do in winter here in the future. I hate driving and walking on ice and scraping off/warming up the car in the morning. It just makes me miserable.
Love our over-sized, two-car garage! Driving on ice has yet to be an issue for us but if it was we just wouldn't drive. It's a benefit of retirement; nowhere we have to get to as we keep our kitchen well-stocked at all times. Walking on ice - not good. But one benefit of electronic billing, banking and bill-paying is that emptying the mailbox across the street can just wait until the ice melts.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:28 AM

400 posts, read 647,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Love our over-sized, two-car garage! Driving on ice has yet to be an issue for us but if it was we just wouldn't drive. It's a benefit of retirement; nowhere we have to get to as we keep our kitchen well-stocked at all times. Walking on ice - not good. But one benefit of electronic billing, banking and bill-paying is that emptying the mailbox across the street can just wait until the ice melts.
You're right, and that is one thing I'm really looking forward to in retirement -- not having to drive on ice. That may change the whole picture for me. And yay for online banking and bill-paying! And shopping! Right to the door, that's how I like it.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I hate the heat and humidity in Houston and will be moving back to Little Rock when my husband and I retire. I can tolerate cold fine, as far as I can tell. Having lived in Los Angeles for the first 34 years of my life and then in Little Rock for the next 20, I prefer Little Rock.

The weather gets very hot during the summer in LR, but it does cool down in the fall. The fall is very pleasant with lots of beautiful foliage. Winters are moderate...maybe 2-3 snow events and the most I ever saw was around 4". Spring is glorious with mild temperatures during the day and chilly evenings.

Houston has only summer and not summer with summer lasting 7-8 months. Spring lasts maybe a week and Fall is pretty much non-existent.

I look forward to moving back to my little house in Little Rock and enjoying the four seasons again.
Houston is horrible but really, most of Texas is. I've considered Arkansas (have a friend in Bella Vista), but I just can't stand the thought of moving to another tornado state. I'm from Burbank, so we have a little in common as far as living elsewhere is concerned. I will take the possible threat of earthquakes any day to the possibility of tornadoes.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
Where I live, on Long Island, the ocean moderates the temperatures so that they are not so polarized between daytime and nighttime. That's one thing to think of when you pick a place. We have very few unbearably hot summer days because of constant ocean breezes, and USUALLY our winters are not as cold as where my boyfriend lives, for example, in the mountains in Vermont. Last winter was an exception, pretty brutal.

Most of the time our snowfall is only a few feet in winter, and we get a lot of sun so it's possible to bundle up and take walks. Just watch out for the ice (didn't care about that years ago, but now find myself looking down at the ground all the time!).

Summers are basically breezy and warm, good for swimming, boating, and all outdoor activities.

I was born in Kew Gardens and lived the first 14 months of my life in South Ozone Park. Unfortunately, I've never been back to my birth state. My parents left NY for the promised land of CA and back then, it really was the place to be. I wish I'd never left it for TX, but I can't keep beating myself up for it even though I keep doing so. One day, I'll find that perfect spot for me (wishful thinking anyway).

Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Snow I would think would be OK if you live near grand kids who can do the shoveling or cutting the grass for you. No place is going to be perfect. I will say this the WC does have some great weather but your going to pay for it.
Don't sell yourself short. People in their 80s are still shoveling snow and cutting their own lawns. I plan to be doing so IF I can get out of a climate with unbearable heat during the lawn-cutting season. It about gives me a heat stroke and I'm only 63 (will be on November 6 anyway). I'm so danged independent that I hope to never have to rely on another to help me. I just can't bear that thought.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:59 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Don't sell yourself short. People in their 80s are still shoveling snow and cutting their own lawns. I plan to be doing so IF I can get out of a climate with unbearable heat during the lawn-cutting season. It about gives me a heat stroke and I'm only 63 (will be on November 6 anyway). I'm so danged independent that I hope to never have to rely on another to help me. I just can't bear that thought.
I turned 63 in May and I have come to the realization that I have better things to do with my time than shoveling and blowing snow, and mowing grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or