U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:53 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,677,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I've heard lots of good things about Northern Arizona. My wife recently met someone who moved here from St. George Utah. I may check these areas out. NM actually has a nice moderate climate. I think it would be a very popular retirement location, but the govt. problems and policies discourage a lot of people. Very heavy handed regulations, uncontrolled illegal immigration, and high taxes make for a bad combination.
I'm leary about NM but in the past, I've considered it. I'm leaning away from that state because it's ranked 2nd in "most dangerous states." Nevada is #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,917,465 times
Here's a little tip for anyone considering Arkansas:

Although I personally do not like the weather in Arkansas that much, I have been following a few retirement places there, including Hot Springs Village and Bella Vista, for about 15 years. The mildest weather in the state is at Hot Springs Village, IMO. The hills surrounding HSV do a remarkable job of shielding that community from a lot of the severe weather that strikes the rest of Arkansas. They had some storm damage this past winter, but most years it seems like the storms are diverted by the hills. Wind damage is definitely less of an issue there. Also, the summer heat doesn't seem as bad as in other parts of Arkansas. Ice is still a bad problem there. Not quite a weather issue, but it can't be said enough that chiggers in the summer are a bad problem there.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm leary about NM but in the past, I've considered it. I'm leaning away from that state because it's ranked 2nd in "most dangerous states." Nevada is #1.
I've always thought Los Alamos would be an interesting place to retire to. Now that the lab has seen dramatic lay offs I'll bet homes aren't expensive. I think the crime rate there is much better than in the rest of the state. A weather issue would be fire danger, however.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:19 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,483,887 times
Quote:
Don't sell yourself short. People in their 80s are still shoveling snow and cutting their own lawns. I plan to be doing so IF I can get out of a climate with unbearable heat during the lawn-cutting season. It about gives me a heat stroke and I'm only 63 (will be on November 6 anyway). I'm so danged independent that I hope to never have to rely on another to help me. I just can't bear that thought.
I read some sort of study, years back, that said northern people tended to be more inventive and lived longer. This even held true for the northern part of a single country.

I don't know, but it would seem that our population is so mobile that it might not be possible to take a valid statistical sample here.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I've always thought Los Alamos would be an interesting place to retire to. Now that the lab has seen dramatic lay offs I'll bet homes aren't expensive. I think the crime rate there is much better than in the rest of the state. A weather issue would be fire danger, however.
Actually, you are correct; Los Alamos does have a lower crime rate than many areas. I checked it out several years ago. It's just too much of a desert for me with not enough rain. I'm not sure about the fire danger there, but in Timberon and Cloudcroft, there is somewhat of a danger.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Here's a little tip for anyone considering Arkansas:

Although I personally do not like the weather in Arkansas that much, I have been following a few retirement places there, including Hot Springs Village and Bella Vista, for about 15 years. The mildest weather in the state is at Hot Springs Village, IMO. The hills surrounding HSV do a remarkable job of shielding that community from a lot of the severe weather that strikes the rest of Arkansas. They had some storm damage this past winter, but most years it seems like the storms are diverted by the hills. Wind damage is definitely less of an issue there. Also, the summer heat doesn't seem as bad as in other parts of Arkansas. Ice is still a bad problem there. Not quite a weather issue, but it can't be said enough that chiggers in the summer are a bad problem there.
Here is what city data says about tornado activity in Hot Springs Village...

Hot Springs Village-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Arkansas state average. It is 175% greater than the overall U.S. average.

Also the comfort index level is not good at a 28. Where I live in Texas, it's a 24 and that's way too uncomfortable for me. I'm looking more in the range of 45 or higher.[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I read some sort of study, years back, that said northern people tended to be more inventive and lived longer. This even held true for the northern part of a single country.

I don't know, but it would seem that our population is so mobile that it might not be possible to take a valid statistical sample here.
I honestly don't doubt that.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:52 AM

786 posts, read 1,907,721 times
Quote:
I've been in Albuquerque 23+ years. In my opinion, Los Alamos is a good town. It's full of educated people and has a culture that's much different from many small towns in New Mexico. Although I still like Albuquerque to some degree...and live in the lowest crime area of the city, the gang/thug culture is "out there," and I'd like to move (not just for that reason).

My wife and I own a very nice 5 acre lot in a subdivision just outside of Ruidoso, and we really like that little town. The weather is excellent for our tastes (highs 45-50 and lows around 20 in the winter...highs about 80-82 in the summer with lows around 50). If it weren't for the lack of medical care, we would have built a house on our 5 acres several years ago.

We're looking more at Colorado. There are more tax incentives for retirees than in New Mexico, and less of a gang culture.

Since this thread is really about weather tolerance...I'll say that my wife and I both grew up in the Deep South (Mississippi). I used to love winter here in NM and couldn't wait for the snow to get my cross country skis out and head up the mountain behind the house. Now...I spend all winter trying to keep my feet warm. My wife likes winter more than I do, but her tolerance for extremes (both ends of the spectrum) seems to be diminishing. So...we're thinking of a house in Colorado...and when the winter gets to be too much, we'll take the camper down to the southern portion of the Texas Hill Country and use that as a base to visit the family we have in southeast Texas.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Here is what city data says about tornado activity in Hot Springs Village...

Hot Springs Village-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Arkansas state average. It is 175% greater than the overall U.S. average.

Also the comfort index level is not good at a 28. Where I live in Texas, it's a 24 and that's way too uncomfortable for me. I'm looking more in the range of 45 or higher.[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Well.... I'm not sure where that data comes from, and who knows--maybe the past 15 years have been unusual. All I know is I've been actively watching that area for many years now and I've seen this happen time and time again. The hills around the Village always seem to divert the storms and protect this community.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,598 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I've been in Albuquerque 23+ years. In my opinion, Los Alamos is a good town. It's full of educated people and has a culture that's much different from many small towns in New Mexico. ...

My wife and I own a very nice 5 acre lot in a subdivision just outside of Ruidoso, and we really like that little town. The weather is excellent for our tastes (highs 45-50 and lows around 20 in the winter...highs about 80-82 in the summer with lows around 50). If it weren't for the lack of medical care, we would have built a house on our 5 acres several years ago.

We're looking more at Colorado. ...

Since this thread is really about weather tolerance...
tolerance for extremes (both ends of the spectrum) seems to be diminishing. So...we're thinking of a house in Colorado...and when the winter gets to be too much, we'll take the camper down to the southern portion of the Texas Hill Country and use that as a base to visit the family we have in southeast Texas.

OK, I'm with you!! (having grown up in CO, but now in WA (we_tside) for 30 yrs) & Just returned from ABQ Balloon Fiesta (my first!)

I concur that NM has some REALLY attractive retirement spots (my mom has been in Las Cruces for ~10 yrs, and I really have enjoyed engaging with the 'educated / diverse / active' retirement community while visiting. She also used Ruidoso as a summer spot, so I have spent time there too. (I grew up in Estes Park, so was too 'Touristy' for me... I am a farm / ranch kid, so I don't do 'traffic'). but nice none-the-less.

I am currently suffering Rain Drain... First week of Nov brings cold wet heavy rains, of which lead into our 200 day period of drizzle / freezing rain / mud. (but green ).

so...Weather related. I fear for water in NM and CO (and WY, my personal favorite, due to REALLY nice (and inventive / northern) people)

Thus, my plan will be to keep a place in WA (...since I can't seem to sell it...BUT, plenty of water (and no Income taxes)) and have a place in TX Hill Country (Kerrville, Canyon Lake, or Wimberley), also one in CO / WY and NE TN. All will be self supporting income properties with space for me. When I need more income I will sell them on contract. Generally they will each provide $1200/ month net income (x4=~$5k/month; I have no pension or SS)

I will have space for YOU too (All will have a few RV spots with a community building (shower, kitchen, dining, hobby / workshop / guest house / extra 50 mpg car(s), in case you prefer to leave RV and travel via air). I plan to rent the RV spots for $300 / month. Putting the first one together as we speak. It is a very nice spot in Scenic Columbia Gorge, WA side, but 20 Minutes to Portland Oregon Airport. Fishing wind surfing / hiking / photography within 5-10 minutes. Downtown Portland = 30 minutes, $1 bus is 3 miles from site.

I intend to keep my options for weather varied, but avoid HOT / DRY. This creates particular challenges with needing healthcare, (medi-vacations ) where the current options seem to be mostly Asia. Already lived there, AC was a MUST. I prefer open windows.

BTW: A few places in CO that warrant looking (Banana Belts) =Delta, Salida, Loveland (previous home). I rode my bicycle to work everyday except 3, the last yr I was there.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-05-2011 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or