U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I can't stand humidity and can't stand it increasingly over the years (or has there been more of it?) When I've been out West, in blistering heat but dry, yes, it's too hot but I don't feel sick or sodden the way I do with humidity. Doesn't even have to be hot, but humid will do.
Never thought of Arizona as "the West Coast"!
I don't think I could go further south than South Boston.
You must be loving the weather for the past week and today....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,913,849 times
It's interesting that different people develop different tolerances. I guess I'm just lucky that both my husband and I are developing the same tolerances--wouldn't it be horrible if you grew in two different directions?

The older I get the less I can tolerate too much dryness. Which is a shame because dry air feels nice--but my skin cracks and I get nosebleeds very easily now.

Also, the older I get the less I can tolerate freezing temps. A winter with a little bit of snow is fine, but not months and months of freezing temps.

My husband's biggest problem is with temperature swings. He can acclimate to hot or cold weather, although he doesn't care that much for cold anymore. A major swing in temperature is the real problem--it causes him leg and hip pain.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
The recent chilly week has been fine with me! But where I work, if it's cool and humid outside, it's sticky and overheated inside. Another thing to look forward to dropping when I no longer work fulltime, if that day comes.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 PM

750 posts, read 438,364 times
I spent my first 28 years in Europe and lived through some brutally cold winters. But now, in my sixties, I need a jacket anytime below 60 Fahrenheit. Ten years ago it was a jacket anytime below 50.
In the summer I'm hurting in the sun when it's about 80, but I can take 90 or higher in the shade. I think shade or not is more important than the actual temperature.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 PM

239 posts, read 456,028 times
I'm originally from Boston and my husband is from Hawaii. I tolerate the cold much better than he does, but I don't do well when it gets too warm. As I've gotten older, I don't tolerate the heat as well as when I was younger.

We both like a more humid climate and love the rain. We lived in a rain forest in Hawaii and loved the humidity. I didn't do well on the hotter days, but most days there are trade winds, which keep it comfortable.

Our least favorite states are places like Colorado, Arizona, Nevada...any of the hot, dry states in the west. We lived in North Carolina and it was okay. Too hot in the summer, but with central air conditioning it was fine. The winter isn't too cold. It does snow, but it's not that bad.

My favorite temperature is about 70 with some moisture in the air. My husband finds that a bit cool. I'd say his favorite temp. is more like 80.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I figured that the experience in life people could relate to this topic and could give me some guidance. Obviously, whenever we contemplate retirement, weather plays a BIG part in our choice. What have the good folks in this forum found as far as tollerating weather. My wife and I would like a moderate climate since we can't afford to have two homes, depending on the seasons. So, we'd like to find a one size fits all retirement location. However, I'm wondering what your collective experience has been in tolerating weather. As you have gotten older, is it easier to handle cold weather or hot. I used to think that everyone who got older found cold harder to handle and so wanted to escape south. However, living in Texas I've found that I am having increasing problems handling the heat, and look forward to the cold. What do you say gang?
I say low humidity makes both heat and cold easier to put up with. And, being retired, you don't have to drive, at least, when the weather is inclement.

Eastern WA is dry, mostly, and we intend to stay here when I retire, there are a few hot summer days and a few cold winter days, and occasionally it snows enough that they need to plow the roads - but when retired we can just stay home those days. Even now it's rare for me to use a vacation day rather than work based on weather.

Final thought - if you are cold you can put on more clothes or burn a fire in a wood stove - cheap. If you are too hot, once you have undressed as far as your situation allows, you need air conditioning - expensive. Although, in a dry climate, usually either a swamp cooler or simple fan is enough.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Rotator cuff tears are no joke. Have one as well and like you, no surgery. It can be painful at times (sudden movements especially) but I've learned to manage it for the most part and surgery is NOT going to happen. I'll just grin (or grimace) and bear it. As long as I can still drive, to include the yard tractor, I'm doin' OK.
Ever try rehabbing with those glorified rubber bands you hook around doorknobs and over the tops opf doors, etc.? When I first started swimming for fitness after I quit smoking, I overdid it and blew out each shoulder. My PT got me started on the surgical tubing exercises, and I took it slow and easy and built the inner muscles up to where I was able to resume regular swimming in about three months.

Like you, I was dead set agaisnt surgery, and the exercises helped me avoid it while still keeping up my fitness routine, which continues to serve me well every day. Of course, I was a youngster at the time (in my late 50's).

If you haven't already checked this out, are are a couple of good links...

Shoulder Exercises And Surgical Bands | LIVESTRONG.COM

How To Rehab A Shoulder Injury | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 10-20-2012, 11:47 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
I cannot stand humidity and it gets more so every summer. If I ever tried a steambath, I felt like I was strangling, whereas I enjoyed the sauna. At my job, if it's cool and damp out, it's overheated and damp inside (even if the temperature outside is in the 60s or so) and I just steam, like a baked potato in foil. I would never live anywhere more humid than eastern Mass., and have considered more than once moving somewhere much drier. It would absolutely figure into any move I might make in older age, although I am thinking I will stay where I am and just hole up in a/c the way people hibernate in the winter.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
The older I get the less I can tolerate cold like most people. Its really just a matter of joints mostly aging.I do think being raise in a certain climate makes a difference in adaptig to it;tho.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 PM

3,868 posts, read 5,932,642 times
I hate hot weather. My favorite weather is about 55 degrees to 70 degrees. I do not mind the cold. If its too cold, just stay in the house. I like it that I live in weather that is changeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or