U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,485,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I hate hot weather. My favorite weather is about 55 degrees to 70 degrees. I do not mind the cold. If its too cold, just stay in the house. I like it that I live in weather that is changeable.
I'm with you. It's strange how we all age differently. I will go out on nice walks in temperatures between 50 and 70. I don't like too much wind, though. On a really calm day I can take lots colder temperatures as long as the sun is shining on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 AM

7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
I don't mind hot weather as long as "hot" is below 90 and there is little to no humidity. Summers here generally top out in the high 80s with a few days in the mid/low 90s, and about 15-20% humidity. Since we are in the high desert, nights are cool, in the 50s, so it always cools off at night. Our summers vacations are generally camping trips up into the high(er) elevations.

Fall is nice, the cold weather doesn't bother me. It's usually below freezing at night, in the 20s and 30s, with the days in the 40s and 50s. Winter I am not so fond of, mostly because it lasts too long. Along about February and March, I want to be elsewhere - that is when we take our "let's get out of here" vacation. Last year we spent a month on the beach in Northern Florida, which we enjoyed. If it wasn't around 3,000 miles away, we might look into a very small second house to spend late Dec-March in, but the logistics of traveling that far for an extended period, especially with 2 dogs, are just too ugly. Most people hereabouts head to Arizona in the winter, but the idea of parking on the low desert floor, slide-by-slide with a couple hundred other RVers, doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

The spouse has Raynauds, though, and in the winter his hands stiffen - he can't keep them warm enough out in the snow and cold, not even with heated gloves. Since virtually all of his hobbies (and his "surprise" retirement business) involve using his hands, that is turning into a problem.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 12-10-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-12-2012, 02:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
I just posted on another thread how much I now realized that I love cool-moist (even relatively cold but moist) weather. I breathe easy and can walk much easier (marching to my doctor's orders). I have been in Portland and Eugene (where a son lives) and feel great in that general climate. I don't wish for relentless bright sun. Do you like your typical PNW weather?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,743,032 times
If one says one home only (as the OP did), then I can tolerate hot/humid July and August to be rid of the bone chilling cold and snow.

Being retired in a hot/humid area is different then "out working" in it. Yes one could stay in during the winter but as a golfer, I wanted year round golf. Year round golf will mean some hot and humid weather in the summer.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
I like summer weather but found I didn't like the almost all summer weather of Florida.
Texas is to my liking with a short winter.

But we do get these odd turns. Two days ago it was in the mid-70's..and today it was in the 40's.
When a cold front blows through you can get a drop of 40 degrees in no time. Then it's bundle up time.
But we're due to be back in the 70's by the weekend. That's what I love about Texas..if you don't like the weather just hang around for 24 hours.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,061,197 times
I lived in Florida year round for 6 years and I had little to no tolerance for the extreme heat. Even the winters were too warm for me. Now I live on Cape Cod and I'm good. I think the winters make my arthritis worse and the heat dries out my sinuses but I love bundling up and walking in the cold. There's no perfect place as far as weather is concerned.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 PM

7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I just posted on another thread how much I now realized that I love cool-moist (even relatively cold but moist) weather. I breathe easy and can walk much easier (marching to my doctor's orders). I have been in Portland and Eugene (where a son lives) and feel great in that general climate. I don't wish for relentless bright sun. Do you like your typical PNW weather?
I lived in Portland about 25 years, and absolutely had to get OUT. I needed more sun in winter, and where I live now (still in Oregon but on the other - eastern - side of the Cascade Mountains, which is high desert - heavily treed with Ponderosa pine, wild plum and scrub manzanita, buck brush, rabbit brush and sagebrush) has about twice the yearly sun of Portland, with the trade-off of a long cold winter and about a 2-4 week spring before summer starts again.

In winter in Portland, what really bothered me was not the wet but the low heavy overcast, which felt like it was right on top of my shoulders. I did get tired of damp and green mold growing on everything, too. It can be beautiful, the gray and silver and green in winter, but I'd had enough.

Although after living in Portland that long, I can't keep my skin moisturized enough here - it's definitely gotten dry and cracked in this very dry climate.

Visit your son for a month in, say February and see what you think.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I lived in Portland about 25 years, and absolutely had to get OUT. I needed more sun in winter, ...Visit your son for a month in, say February and see what you think.
agreed... it's the DARK (days and nights) that are pretty tough to feel FREE. Winter gets pretty LONG since it is so PROLONGED. and days are pretty short at the moment (thus I'm in San Diego for a little SUN) $50 & 2 hrs one way !!! awe, so nice.

Do you like your typical PNW weather? (There is a HUGE variety of PNW climates, general we_tside of Cascades 285 days with overcast, and 'dry side' (majority of land mass, but MINORITY of people mass)). ~285 days WITH out overcast. Roseburg, OR and Sequim, WA are somewhat of a we_tside 'banana belt' / enclave with LOW rainfall each. BUT does not equal SUN. still pretty overcast in general.

I grew up in Colorado / Wyoming and am used to pretty harsh and cold winters that are FILLED with SUN . But... I'm not keen on FARMING in the MUD. (reading is a good hobby that doesn't require overshoes...)

PNW is pretty tough to beat for mild summers (cool nights... I DO NOT do AC), but both spring AND fall can be pretty wet. (Got 25" of drizzle in Nov 2012). Annual is ~ 100+" of drizzle. (2x Portland amount but only 16 miles east and 1000' higher). We get more CLEAR (windy) days, the clouds have to UNLOAD to get over Cascade Mtns.

I have significantly changed my activities and take LOTS of sun breaks TRIPS (which is fine, cause I prefer to travel than be home, regardless of weather). That will change with age, and I will have to be in more sun as I am less able to ESCAPE. More sun is 50 miles further east in White Salmon, WA (Hood River, OR). 60 miles east is TOO DRY and hot. (The Dalles / Goldendale).

For the moment... a $50 flight to SF, Sacramento, LA, San Diego, LV, Reno, ... or a $89 flight to DEN, SAT, TUC, PHX, ABQ, ELP, AUS is my highly desired remedy.

If ONLY I had a 50 Meter indoor lap pool within 20 miles, THEN I would be a happy camper.

Being to the beautiful OR coast, Mt St Helens, Mt Hood, or Mt Rainier, Willamette Valley in one hr provides unlimited options, if looking at this view all day gets old. (it changes every few minutes)
https://www.google.com/search?q=crow...SaI8OgtAbzpIEI

or hiking this area becomes to boring (<5 minutes from home)
https://www.google.com/search?q=cape...ed=0CAQQ_AUoAA

Quote:
The spouse has Raynauds,
same here... so much for the nice housing Coops I enjoy in Minneapolis... not while 'with Spouse'. (ah, saved from the SNOW and 'skeeters)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-12-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,750,631 times
I've lived in many types of climates - midwest, Florida, TN. Of those I liked TN the best.

I also lived in Uganda and loved the climate in the area we lived in. High elevation so the temps were normally from a low of mid-50's at night to a high in the low 80's during the day. Low humidity. Being on the equator the sun was very strong though so you couldn't stand out in it for a very long time. There were rainy and dry season but otherwise it was the same all year. It was nice wearing capris and sandals all the time but it go monotonous with no seasons.

I live in Scotland and the climate is the only thing I don't love. Too wet, never gets warm enough for very long. I never put away winter clothes. Weather is unpredictable so a summer day can be sunny and 75 or 50 and rainy. I won't move though, just travel to warmer climates a couple of times a year.

An ideal climate to me would be lots of sunny days with temps staying the range of 50-85.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
For some people, it's certainly possible to become less tolerant to both extremes, heat and cold, with increasing age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or