Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,856,582 times

Advertisements

I figured that the experience in life people could relate to this topic and could give me some guidance. Obviously, whenever we contemplate retirement, weather plays a BIG part in our choice. What have the good folks in this forum found as far as tollerating weather. My wife and I would like a moderate climate since we can't afford to have two homes, depending on the seasons. So, we'd like to find a one size fits all retirement location. However, I'm wondering what your collective experience has been in tolerating weather. As you have gotten older, is it easier to handle cold weather or hot. I used to think that everyone who got older found cold harder to handle and so wanted to escape south. However, living in Texas I've found that I am having increasing problems handling the heat, and look forward to the cold. What do you say gang?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,347,360 times
Thank goodness for heating and cooling systems. I believe that in general, the young fare better with weather extremes than the elderly but most of us, over time, can and do acclimate to a great degree unless there are medical issues.

We purposely chose a retirement venue with four distinct seasons. There are periodic extremes on the temperature scale but they're usually relatively short-lived and we thoroughly enjoy the variety. We don't consider any of the seasons particularly harsh as a general rule. Besides, the reality is that if weather becomes a difficulty for a time, being retired we don't have to go out in it. We keep the larder well stocked. If we do have to go out it's from temperature-controlled house to temperature controlled car and back again. Roads are rarely impassable and then only for perhaps a day at a time.

We find this much preferable to from whence we came which consisted of two primary seasons - hotter than blazes or cold and wet with maybe two weeks of Spring and a month of Fall.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I figured that the experience in life people could relate to this topic and could give me some guidance. Obviously, whenever we contemplate retirement, weather plays a BIG part in our choice. What have the good folks in this forum found as far as tollerating weather. My wife and I would like a moderate climate since we can't afford to have two homes, depending on the seasons. So, we'd like to find a one size fits all retirement location. However, I'm wondering what your collective experience has been in tolerating weather. As you have gotten older, is it easier to handle cold weather or hot. I used to think that everyone who got older found cold harder to handle and so wanted to escape south. However, living in Texas I've found that I am having increasing problems handling the heat, and look forward to the cold. What do you say gang?
I spent two whole years, while my son was in NC, thinking I was moving South. I had a realtor take me all over creation. The several times I was there was in summer, could not stick my head out the door into the suffocating heat/humidity, outside of air conditioning...though I must say the early early mornings before the sun comes up were quite nice on the screened porch. By mid-day I was in brain fog meltdown unless I was indoors, and I hate the feelng of AC. (In terms of household heating vs. household air conditioning, give me a winter woodstove any time.) Even so I was hoping to escape the northern winters, but when I couldn't walk my son's dog for more than a few blocks on a summer day I knew I wouldn't make it there. Plus, the winters in NC are not all that dramatically better as they would be in GA or FL.

As a New England native, I have to be honest and say that I feel better, and am in better health, in the colder weather. Today I was able to hobble quite a distance in 34 degrees with a big snowstorm on the way tonight. Bundled up with scarf hat and gloves, I was reminded that I feel most alive in the cold. I'm not a skier or outdoorsperson, just love in-town walks in the cold.

The winter thing is largely psychological for some like myself. We dread it every year but when it arrives it's actually a relief from the summer heat and humidity. If you're outdoors at least an hour or two a day, even in snow, it's great.

For people who have to commute, it's not so great. Scraping off the car, hoping your car doesn't skid or get stuck in a snowbank, waiting to get plowed out is all part of the picture. For retirees, not a problem. You can always change an appt on a snow or ice day, and sit inside and read or hobby. If New England rural, many neighbors get together for weekend potlucks and other socials so that adds to the winter atmosphere. Some rurals love to get snowed in, but more often than not, they've got the equipment to dig themselves out.

Many complain that New England is humid in summer, but thats NOTHING compared with the South. Here, as they say, if you don't like the weather wait a minute....but that's getting to be true all over the U.S. now (in some places).

Also, the kind of property you live in has a lot to do with dealing with any climate. All I know is that I would need to wear a plastic bubble of air conditioning around me to live South in the summer. Other than that I bet it's a great place to live.

Where do you feel best, what kind of climate? What makes you feel your best?

Last edited by RiverBird; 10-29-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 11:19 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,536,195 times
I am finding that I handle the heat and cold less. I prefer to put up with heat. though. Part of that is caused by snow. I am sick and tired of moving it, driving through it (and ice), walking and hopefully not falling because of it (and ice), and generally freezing my butt off for a good portion the year.

I have a rotator cuff injury that I acquired in 1999 from falling on ice. In a non-ice climate I would not have it and the restrictions it places on me. No surgery. I had surgery once. Unless I'm dying I won't do that again...

So I vote for roasting over freezing. The biggest complaint I have in a hot environment is humidity. I have trouble breathing in that, but I'll suffer through it in a swimming pool, thankyouverymuch.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,347,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am finding that I handle the heat and cold less. I prefer to put up with heat. though. Part of that is caused by snow. I am sick and tired of moving it, driving through it (and ice), walking and hopefully not falling because of it (and ice), and generally freezing my butt off for a good portion the year.

I have a rotator cuff injury that I acquired in 1999 from falling on ice. In a non-ice climate I would not have it and the restrictions it places on me. No surgery. I had surgery once. Unless I'm dying I won't do that again...

So I vote for roasting over freezing. The biggest complaint I have in a hot environment is humidity. I have trouble breathing in that, but I'll suffer through it in a swimming pool, thankyouverymuch.
Yeah, I take it real easy when there's ice or snow on the ground. But since we receive all our bills electronically, anything in the mail box which is across the street can just wait there awhile.

Rotator cuff tears are no joke. Have one as well and like you, no surgery. It can be painful at times (sudden movements especially) but I've learned to manage it for the most part and surgery is NOT going to happen. I'll just grin (or grimace) and bear it. As long as I can still drive, to include the yard tractor, I'm doin' OK.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,235,435 times
Quote:
From one Texas resident to another, let's get outta here soon. Seriously, I hate summer and always have, but this last one was the worst ever. I doubt I'd love freezing cold weather for as long as summer lasts here, but I definitely want a place with four distinct seasons and I want out of tornado alley. Of course, something else I desire are mountains.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 AM

767 posts, read 2,283,821 times
I like hot weather. I don't care if I never see snow again.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:57 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,629,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I like hot weather. I don't care if I never see snow again.
I agree.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,862,764 times
Quote:
I live in Arizona and I think most people, who've never been here, picture a big hot inhospitable desert when they think about the state. It IS hotter in summer south of me but given the different elevations all over the state it's not ALL blazing hot all summer. I think the state really does have "something for everyone" if they look, research and explore.

I like to think we do have four seasons. Winter gets plenty cold here at times but it's also mostly sunny year round so it doesn't seem all that cold. Most of the state is quite pleasant in winter time. Spring is windy and cold sometimes, where I live, but down south it gets warmer and is delightful! Summer...yep, it gets hot! Where I live is about ten degrees cooler than further south and 40 miles away it's another ten degrees cooler than here. When you live here you just acclimate, get used to it or leave. Fall is undoubtedly my most favorite time of year here. No cooler since Sept. and only occasional heat on...very early in the morning.

The thing about the heat here is the low humidity. With the exception of our Monsoon season...July thru Sept....and even that isn't all that hard to deal with.

I do MUCH better with heat than with cold and always have. Maybe because I was born and raised in the southwest. I've lived places that got to -40, snowed from Oct. to April...and even into June sometimes...and my arthritic joints simply do NOT do well in that kind of weather. Within a month of moving back to Arizona I was doing great in that department! As much as I love the PNW I could never live there again. Fantastic to visit in summer though. For me, I have to say Arizona is about the most perfect place to live. And if I get tired of the valley heat I can always move back to the mountains which, to me, WAS "perfect".

Old 10-29-2011, 12:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,856,582 times
It might have something to do with what you were raised with. I grew up in Wisc. Walked to school, usually over a mile unless it was below 10F. Played in snow, ice skating, skiing, ice fishing, hunting. A hot summer day was 85-90.

CanineC. I'm with you. After this summer and the one we had in Dallas 10 years ago, we are out of here when retirement comes, but where to land is the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement