U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:38 PM

29,892 posts, read 34,951,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I apologize for the delayed reply back to you - I was taking a nap. Just kidding!
Yeah this is NFL Sunday so not a good nap day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,885,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My wife has coffee at 10 while she is waiting for me to finish breakfast. She is also reading and catching up her shows or the morning financial news. She gets up about 7-7:30 ish give or take. For the most part that is when the dog needs to be walked after she showers etc etc.
OMG. You obviously did not read the post I was responding to . . .the guy said his mom wakes up from a nap at 10p.m. and has coffee . . .

Old 10-30-2011, 05:31 PM

419 posts, read 659,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
OMG. You obviously did not read the post I was responding to . . .the guy said his mom wakes up from a nap at 10p.m. and has coffee . . .
So, what? These people are nearing 90 years of age. Many, many people of that age were huge coffee drinkers beginning when they were young adults. I know my mother had a coffee pot going constantly throughout the day & night and I would guess she had her last cup of coffee before going to bed. She did not take naps and lived to be 90 years old.

Caffeine does not affect everyone in the same way. I can drink coffee late at night and it does not keep me awake. If drinking coffee bothers you then don't drink it but not everyone is bothered. Also, many people like to take naps no matter their favorite beverage. I don't think several naps a day is unusual for people nearing their 90's. Or maybe they just doze off for short periods of time. Again, not unusual.

No need to become horrified when you learn there are people out there who are different than yourself or others you think you know.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
So, what? These people are nearing 90 years of age. Many, many people of that age were huge coffee drinkers beginning when they were young adults. I know my mother had a coffee pot going constantly throughout the day & night and I would guess she had her last cup of coffee before going to bed. She did not take naps and lived to be 90 years old.

Caffeine does not affect everyone in the same way. I can drink coffee late at night and it does not keep me awake. If drinking coffee bothers you then don't drink it but not everyone is bothered. Also, many people like to take naps no matter their favorite beverage. I don't think several naps a day is unusual for people nearing their 90's. Or maybe they just doze off for short periods of time. Again, not unusual.

No need to become horrified when you learn there are people out there who are different than yourself or others you think you know.
Thanks for the lesson in humanity. You are quite the wise one.

I was not horrified at anything - I suggested that perhaps drinking coffee at 10 p.m. might be a lifestyle issue that, if modified, might reduce nap times . . . or not . . .

With the OMG I was reacting to my own omission of the "pm," which caused one poster to go off on a tangent about how his wife drinks coffee at 10 a.m., which as far as I understand, is very "normal."

Old 10-30-2011, 06:36 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,569,580 times
Being curious is laudable but to be curious and express intolerance of difference, when those viewed behaviors and antributes cause no harm is destructive, more to the viewer, as the viewed do not care for the curious intolerant.

The oft repeated saying that "Curiousity kills the cat..." I submit is best completed by:
Curiousity kills the cat who roams too much, and neglects its nap.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-30-2011 at 06:46 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,552,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post

The effects of caffeine can also change with age. Used to be if I drank coffee after dinner I'd have trouble falling asleep even several hours later. As I've aged, that's worn off and I could have a cup or two, go straight to bed and be sound asleep in minutes.

Same with naps. It used to be that taking one say, early afternoon, for even just an hour, interfered with my ability to fall asleep at night. I'd also usually wake up in a less than cheerful mood. Now I can take that nap for a couple of hours, get up feeling refreshed then enjoy a good night's sleep.

While certainly not an everyday occurrence, I quite enjoy napping at times, especially if I've been lulled into one because I haven't felt like doing anything else instead. I look upon them as a privilege of both age and retirement and don't over-think them or try to read anything else into them. That would be tantamount to questioning and trying to analyze why a child liked Disneyland in my opinion. I'm sure I'll appreciate naps even more with the passage of years.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Being curious is laudable but to be curious and express intolerance of difference, when those viewed behaviors and antributes cause no harm is destructive, more to the viewer, as the viewed do not care for the curious intolerant.

The oft repeated saying that "Curiousity kills the cat..." I submit is best completed by:
Curiousity kills the cat who roams too much, and neglects its nap.

Livecontent
Oakie-doakie. Evening cocktail, perhaps?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:14 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,786,529 times
Once we got a Dr. Breus latex bed, an afternoon nap for about 30 minutes everyday works great. W/o it, sleeping isn't as much fun.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM

9,600 posts, read 10,970,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Once we got a Dr. Breus latex bed, an afternoon nap for about 30 minutes everyday works great. W/o it, sleeping isn't as much fun.
Is that anything like a Procrustean bed?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 PM

7,342 posts, read 16,678,483 times
Awe, we took one. We sort of knew the Jags were going to lose and Miami was headed that way as well. Good time to have the snooze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yeah this is NFL Sunday so not a good nap day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement