U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 AM

863 posts, read 2,582,400 times

Advertisements

Beat Junk Mail By Returning Pre-Paid Envelopes? - BreakTheChain.org (http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/prepaid.html - broken link)

"Doing what the chain letter suggests (returning the postage paid envelope) may give you some sort of satisfaction from giving the system a taste of its own medicine, but will likely do very little to reduce the amount of junk mail you receive. In fact, it may increase. Mail solicitation is effective and businesses spend billions of dollars on it annually. Another chain-breaker who works in a mail processing center for several of these companies reports that, whether filled with a complete application or with your trash, each envelope that is returned is counted as "a success" to the company. These "successful returns" are used to determine the effectiveness of the mail solicitation."

We started getting AARP before turning 50. We also recently got an AARP addressed to a first name I've never heard of in our family, but with our correct last name (which is OFTEN spelled wrong) and address? (We've been in our house over 15 years and there are no previous owners.)

I'll look at our next mailing, but I believe they are sent bulk mail. If they are not sent First Class, there are additional costs and data entry that needs to be made to update the mailing address list with forward and return address corrections. I could be wrong, but I doubt that's happening.

Additionally, people forget or don't know is that just as advertising on TV, in newspapers, and in magazines, pays a large portion of the cost, "junk mail" is what keeps the price of postage down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
My wife signed me up for AARP about 4 years ago. I don't know why.
I got some much mail from them and mailers from insurance companies I dropped my membership after the first year.
I have since requested that they remove my name from their mailing lists and was told that would happen but it has not.
So, from now on when I get a piece of mail from AARP or one of their vendors with AARPs name on it I use that postage paid envelope and send back whatever came in it with my own little personal message!
Let them pay the postage both ways for nothing.
Maybe the well get the message, maybe not.
Has anyone ever got off their lists?
I signed up for AARP years ago when I was first eligible. However, they never "did anything" for me so I dropped it. I STILL get a lot of stuff from them. I have given up trying to get off of many mailing lists. I just shred it all when it comes in. Between AARP and my bank I am inundated with "offers" of one kind or another...usually some kind of insurance...but my shredder works fine.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
I requested "no junk mail" in as many ways as I could find. It really works ... I see what goes into my neighbors' mailboxes compared to what goes into mine. https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs4b-junk_mail.htm

Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,836,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Every time you get a mailing send the prepaid envelope back empty

That is what I do, for AARP, and credit cards, and the rest of the junk.
We know how to contact AARP, if we are interested.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:35 PM

509 posts, read 1,411,614 times
a lot of places sell or exchange peoples addresses . it used ti tick me off until i decided to have fun with them . for each different one i would change a letter in my name or other bit of info . then when i mailed it back to them and they sell my info i know who is doing it . i get all kinds of mail with so many variations of my name that i have to laugh .

Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,728,968 times
I always said if the government wanted to find Osama Bin Laden earleir, just inform ARRP he turned 50. Them fockers can find anybody...LOL

Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM

152 posts, read 442,316 times
Mail a brick back (or any heavy worthless object) to them using the prepaid postage envelope. yes it is legal, yes it does work. It turns out the receipents don't like paying seven dollars for the brick. It is very effective for credit card offers also. I have done it and I am proud of it. Chase and Bank of America no longer bother me and as a bonus they told all their friends.

Here are the detailed instructions: Mail a brick to junk mailers using paid postage - Creative tips with dealing with spammers and bulk mailers

Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM

134 posts, read 207,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traeger View Post
Mail a brick back (or any heavy worthless object) to them using the prepaid postage envelope. yes it is legal, yes it does work. It turns out the receipents don't like paying seven dollars for the brick. It is very effective for credit card offers also. I have done it and I am proud of it. Chase and Bank of America no longer bother me and as a bonus they told all their friends.

Here are the detailed instructions: Mail a brick to junk mailers using paid postage - Creative tips with dealing with spammers and bulk mailers

Just go to their website and opt out.
Worked for me.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 AM

152 posts, read 442,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trocadero View Post
Just go to their website and opt out.
Worked for me.
AARP reminds me of a Countrywide mortgage I had on a vacation home before the real estate crash. I had a small note at a great rate that I paid on time. Those are not big money makers, it seems. So they called me every two weeks or so with all sorts of offers to increase their revenue on this note, mainly offering a HELOC.

I tried everyhting to get them to stop. Emails, letters, opt outs nothing worked until:

ring, ring

Hello.

Mr. Traeger this is Rick of Countrywide calling to offer you a HELOC.

Hi Rick, how are the kids?

(sighs) we've called before...

Every other week.

I'll take you off the list.

I've tried that it doesn't work, you'll call again. Say how about you bring the family over for brats this Saturday, I've got the pool opened!

Thank you for your interest in Countrywide.

It turns out he couldn't be rude to me, but he had a quota to make and me taking his time was the worst punishment. I never heard from Countrywide again.

Best of luck on the opt out.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:46 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,310,108 times
Let them waste their $$ we just dump them in the recycle bin. The worst to me is the Reader's Digest. They continued sending their magazines long after the subscription ran out and kept sending me bills, even after I canceled the subscription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement