U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,586,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The truth is . . . some people are gonna feel displaced and challenged - and maybe even angry. Some are gonna take what they consider the "high moral ground" and start spouting off stuff about how that is essentially trying to "cheat death" or it is "insincere and fake" etc etc.

The truth is . . . if a person is secure in how he or she looks, it shouldn't make a damn how someone else looks - for better or worse.

Maybe we should all ask ourselves why we get so up in arms about other people's decisions.
Brava! <standing ovation>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,429 times
Quote:
Maybe we should all ask ourselves why we get so up in arms about other people's decisions.
That is an interesting question. I remain conflicted about cosmetic surgery not for any personal reasons, ie I am OK with my looks. Rather I think it says something about our culture that I find disturbing. I also wonder if it will be one more thing that separates the haves from the have nots.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
That is an interesting question. I remain conflicted about cosmetic surgery not for any personal reasons, ie I am OK with my looks. Rather I think it says something about our culture that I find disturbing. I also wonder if it will be one more thing that separates the haves from the have nots.
Yes, that is what I think the discussion comes down to, Orngkat. However, I have noticed, from the time I was about 5 or so, that the wealthy nearly always look better than the rest of us, lol.

My dad was a minister so I had the privilege of getting to know folks from every walk of life . . . from the very poor to the very privileged. I noticed at a young age that some women just looked terrific as they aged and some looked "normal" - with the measurement of "normal" being my grandmother, who was born in 1890, wore her grey hair up in a bun (modified gibson girl style! yes! all those years later!), wore house dresses and aprons. She looked very much like Aunt Bea in Mayberry and smelled, intermittently, like either vanilla or clorox, depending on what chores she was handling at any given moment of the day.

Then there were the folks who were slim and trim and wore fashionable clothing around the house, gorgeous jewelry on their manicured red nail polished finger tips, had perpetual tans from winters in Florida and rounds on golf courses . . . perfectly coiffed blonde hair . . . and housekeepers. And smelled like heaven (Chanel # 5). They all looked like Janet Leigh or Tippi Hedren.

The second group got facials and swedish massages. They would fly up to the Red Door Salon in Manhattan. The first group had Jergens lotion by the sink and epson salts to soak their feet in at the end of the day.

In my mind, there has always been a division between the haves and the have-nots as far as who looked fabulous and who looked "normal." Money can buy a lot of "pretty" - with or without surgery.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,279,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Not true.

I have lived a stressful life, endured pain and loss, live an unhealthy lifestyle and constantly have to deal with people who tick me off, which I resent.

I look at least 15 years younger than my real age.

YOU don't know what you are talking about. Genetics plays a HUGE role in how people age. If somebody wants to nip and tuck to enhance their features, so what?? Your preaching is ridiculous

Haha! Great post. you're joking, right?

One thing for sure is you do know how to express a resentment. As for looking 15 years younger than your age, why do I doubt that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or