U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2011, 07:52 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Reputation: 29071

Advertisements

I like every crease and wrinkle in my face because I earned every one of them. Beyond that, they're just me! I find it hard, if not impossible, to understand why some fight the aging process so vehemently when it's such a natural part of life. It's simply not nice to fool Mother Nature!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I like every crease and wrinkle in my face because I earned every one of them. Beyond that, they're just me! I find it hard, if not impossible, to understand why some fight the aging process so vehemently when it's such a natural part of life. It's simply not nice to fool Mother Nature!
That said, and many would agree, that a man can age and look "wrinkled" (even overweight) and still have a chick on his arm. In general in our society, a woman cannot look old and expect much of a dating/romantic life (I know there are men who claim this is not a factor, and it's not--for them). There are definite lines (no pun intended) between men and women on this subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
That said, and many would agree, that a man can age and look "wrinkled" (even overweight) and still have a chick on his arm. In general in our society, a woman cannot look old and expect much of a dating/romantic life (I know there are men who claim this is not a factor, and it's not--for them). There are definite lines (no pun intended) between men and women on this subject
That was at least two-thirds of a pun, the first 2/3!

When we finally got together after five years of friendship my wife classified me as "ruggedly" good looking. Don't know 'bout that but as long as she's happy, I'm content. My one saving grace is that I'm not overweight. Got that way for a time but took care of it. As for her, I love every crease and line in her as well. Gotta. She likely got them because of being married to me.

You're right, there is a decided dual standard for men and women. But I maintain that as long as a couple really loves one another, they do so regardless of looks, warts and all. Unless one of them is on the prowl it's nothing more than pure vanity to go under the knife.

As always, just one man's opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 AM
 
Location: East Coast
2,902 posts, read 4,580,910 times
Reputation: 4291
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I hope our society never becomes so fixated on youth that the natural process of aging (wh/ should be a process of learning and gaining wisdom!) becomes something we wish to hide . . .
Too late...it's already happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Reputation: 15649
There is a different standard in different cultures for what makes a person attractive. I read somewhere that in some African culture it's a woman's feet, in another, earlobes. Here in the states, I look very European (tall, reddish hair, fair complexion, classic Italian nose). Not the usual kind of American good looks. No sooner did I land in Italy when I was approached by first one, and then another, good looking older guy who both praised my face--"Ah, Italiano, belle!" Kinda swept me off my feet. But here, I can't say I've never contemplated changing my nose. Fortunately at this time, I don't have any wrinkles per se, or extra weight under my chin. But if I did, what the hay. People know how old you really are no matter what you do to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 10,851,419 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There is a different standard in different cultures for what makes a person attractive. I read somewhere that in some African culture it's a woman's feet, in another, earlobes. Here in the states, I look very European (tall, reddish hair, fair complexion, classic Italian nose). Not the usual kind of American good looks. No sooner did I land in Italy when I was approached by first one, and then another, good looking older guy who both praised my face--"Ah, Italiano, belle!" Kinda swept me off my feet. But here, I can't say I've never contemplated changing my nose. Fortunately at this time, I don't have any wrinkles per se, or extra weight under my chin. But if I did, what the hay. People know how old you really are no matter what you do to yourself.

You reminded me of something . . . I had a female friend who had a very interesting nose. She was gorgeous! Her nose was very "interesting" and had a little bump. I thought it was super attractive . . . when she was in her late forties, she had it "done," and as far as I'm concerned, she ruined her looks.

I also study nose jobs of celebrities and they don't seem to realize that a large nose, when reduced, makes their other features look strange . . . a tiny little nose doesn't go with the rest of the face . . .

People should be proud of what God has given them, unless they are horribly deformed . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

You reminded me of something . . . I had a female friend who had a very interesting nose. She was gorgeous! Her nose was very "interesting" and had a little bump. I thought it was super attractive . . . when she was in her late forties, she had it "done," and as far as I'm concerned, she ruined her looks.

I also study nose jobs of celebrities and they don't seem to realize that a large nose, when reduced, makes their other features look strange . . . a tiny little nose doesn't go with the rest of the face . . .

People should be proud of what God has given them, unless they are horribly deformed . . .
Now yur talkin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 PM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 8,126,907 times
Reputation: 8886
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
That said, and many would agree, that a man can age and look "wrinkled" (even overweight) and still have a chick on his arm.
True, but his wallet needs to be even more overweight than he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 PM
 
Location: California Mountains
1,448 posts, read 2,587,252 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
People know how old you really are no matter what you do to yourself.
Yep. When your children are in their late 30s or early 40s, it's hard to pretend you are only 55.

My sister had a minor plastic surgery when she was in her late 40s. When she was in her mid 60s, she had a few big things done. Afterward, she looked beautiful and much younger than I did even though she's a decade my senior. Now, she decided it's time for some touch up, so she's planning to have it done again next year before she turns 70.

She has money, she has minor fame (as a writer with two published books), and her social calendar is often filled to the brim, so I told her if looking young and beautiful made her happier, then why not?

Twice she offered to treat me to a face-lift; twice I refused. I want my husband and children looking at me the same way they always do: with love, no matter what. I also don't wish to see a younger face in the mirror. Lord, I probably wouldn't know what to do with a younger face.

That doesn't mean I am at peace with my wrinkles, mind you. I'm fighting against them every day with creams and lotions, but it is a fair and private fight, no third party involved, and I like it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Yep. When your children are in their late 30s or early 40s, it's hard to pretend you are only 55.

My sister had a minor plastic surgery when she was in her late 40s. When she was in her mid 60s, she had a few big things done. Afterward, she looked beautiful and much younger than I did even though she's a decade my senior. Now, she decided it's time for some touch up, so she's planning to have it done again next year before she turns 70.

She has money, she has minor fame (as a writer with two published books), and her social calendar is often filled to the brim, so I told her if looking young and beautiful made her happier, then why not?

Twice she offered to treat me to a face-lift; twice I refused. I want my husband and children looking at me the same way they always do: with love, no matter what. I also don't wish to see a younger face in the mirror. Lord, I probably wouldn't know what to do with a younger face.

That doesn't mean I am at peace with my wrinkles, mind you. I'm fighting against them every day with creams and lotions, but it is a fair and private fight, no third party involved, and I like it that way.
I really don't believe lotions and creams prevent wrinkles, but it's a lucrative industry. I believe ***stress***, lack of sleep, quality of nutrition (from birth), and heredity all determine it. I met a 90 year old woman who had a lovely, soft, unwrinkled face. She was just luminous. Of course I asked her, and she said she was never stressed in her life, and she never wore makeup (maybe that's the culprit??). Another very old woman with similar skin did say she used something that sounded like "jaffy oil"--of course I rushed home to google it but found nothing remote to what I thought I heard her say.

I am reminded of the Tennessee Williams play Streetcar Named Desire, the scene in which Mitch tells 30-something-year-old (!) Blanche that his mother wants to know how old she is...and he snatches down the paper lantern covering the lightbulb to see her face better (Blanche always made sure she was seen by him in low light, and never outdoors). Maybe that's a solution...wearing a paper lantern as a hat...

Last edited by RiverBird; 11-03-2011 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top