U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 AM

2,902 posts, read 4,580,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I believe ***stress***, lack of sleep, quality of nutrition (from birth), and heredity all determine it.
You forgot to mention the MAJOR contributor to wrinkles...the sun!

Wrinkles - MayoClinic.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post

Ain't that the truth. I can attest to it as well as the dangers since every few years I have to have pre-cancerous areas on my head and face "burned" off. But I sure enjoyed getting them as well as many of the lines and creases. It took being raised at the beach and actually playing outside all day, every day and every moment I wasn't in school. I worked as a ranch hand on a large cattle ranch to help finance my way through some college years then spent 12 years in the military, outdoors almost constantly.

The sun can certainly be unforgiving - something not understood or appreciated back when i was growing up in the 40s and 50s and just barely considered a factor in the 60s. But I gotta say, ignorance was decidedly bliss!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
Quote:
Another very old woman with similar skin did say she used something that sounded like "jaffy oil"--of course I rushed home to google it but found nothing remote to what I thought I heard her say.
Google "Jafra", that may be it.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,126,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ain't that the truth. I can attest to it as well as the dangers since every few years I have to have pre-cancerous areas on my head and face "burned" off. But I sure enjoyed getting them as well as many of the lines and creases. It took being raised at the beach and actually playing outside all day, every day and every moment I wasn't in school. I worked as a ranch hand on a large cattle ranch to help finance my way through some college years then spent 12 years in the military, outdoors almost constantly.

The sun can certainly be unforgiving - something not understood or appreciated back when i was growing up in the 40s and 50s and just barely considered a factor in the 60s. But I gotta say, ignorance was decidedly bliss!
I'm 49 and have had two pre-cancerous growths removed (cut away and sent for testing) from my upper back. You're right about not knowing the dangers of overexposure to the sun years ago.

I got water blisters from bad sunburns more times than I got count when I was a kid. Also spent a lot of time in the sun for a number of years when I was older.

Reading up about melanoma I found out the most prevalent places for it on men is the upper black, and oddly enough, for women, the lower leg area.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post

Probably for some, but I have two friends who literally soak up the sun and seem to have a natural tan that lasts into the fall (they don't use tanning beds) and not a wrinkle on them. Jealous? I do wonder about the tanning beds as a contributor.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:52 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,312,141 times
Quote:
That said, and many would agree, that a man can age and look "wrinkled" (even overweight) and still have a chick on his arm. In general in our society, a woman cannot look old and expect much of a dating/romantic life (I know there are men who claim this is not a factor, and it's not--for them). There are definite lines (no pun intended) between men and women on this subject
Unfortunately those "chicks" could care less what he looks like, all they're interested in is how much $$$ is in his bank account and how he spends it on them. Sadly, men "think" they're still a hot item.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Unfortunately those "chicks" could care less what he looks like, all they're interested in is how much $$$ is in his bank account and how he spends it on them. Sadly, men "think" they're still a hot item.
I trust you're speaking either of or for yourself and/or based upon isolated personal experience.

I'm a "men" and when I asked my wife out I was two years post-divorce, had lost everything, was paying significant child and spousal support and was living paycheck-to-paycheck. She certainly did NOT marry me for my money. She was smarter than that and I had none anyway.

Never considered myself a "hot item," nor did I have any desire to take up with some "hot young thing" even if I could have. I was 50 years old, in good shape, well-groomed and not ugly, dressed well and was secure in my career but was never going to be rich. The ex was five years my junior and my interest, if I really even had one at the time, was someone my own age or very close to it. My wife is but two years younger than I am.

Ya see, generalities are generally less than correct.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
I trust you're speaking either of or for yourself and/or based upon isolated personal experience.

I'm a "men" and when I asked my wife out I was two years post-divorce, had lost everything, was paying significant child and spousal support and was living paycheck-to-paycheck. She certainly did NOT marry me for my money. She was smarter than that and I had none anyway.

Never considered myself a "hot item," nor did I have any desire to take up with some "hot young thing" even if I could have. I was 50 years old, in good shape, well-groomed and not ugly, dressed well and was secure in my career but was never going to be rich. The ex was five years my junior and my interest, if I really even had one at the time, was someone my own age or very close to it. My wife is but two years younger than I am.

Leave it to Curmudgeon to bust out of the stereoptype

(she married you for your looks, don't kid yourself)

Old 11-04-2011, 02:17 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,312,141 times
Quote:

I'm speaking about the men in a condo in FL, who strut around like Hercules and are constantly trying to pick up the young babes. One guy stands on his balcony naked and my daughter has to shield the kids. AFA my experience, I also married for the 2nd time, post divorce, as well as she was post divorce. I was paying large amount to ex and my wife didn't marry me for $$. We were both 50 at the time.

As a reference point, how many times do you read in the paper, local or otherwise, about some old coot who got taken for all his $$ from his girlfriend/housekeeper/significant other, etc.? I don't know why you would take what I said personally. Five years difference in age isn't what most of these guys are trying to attract. They want the "trophies."

Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I'm speaking about the men in a condo in FL, who strut around like Hercules and are constantly trying to pick up the young babes. One guy stands on his balcony naked and my daughter has to shield the kids. AFA my experience, I also married for the 2nd time, post divorce, as well as she was post divorce. I was paying large amount to ex and my wife didn't marry me for $$. We were both 50 at the time.

As a reference point, how many times do you read in the paper, local or otherwise, about some old coot who got taken for all his $$ from his girlfriend/housekeeper/significant other, etc.? I don't know why you would take what I said personally. Five years difference in age isn't what most of these guys are trying to attract. They want the "trophies."
Didn't take it personally. Why would I? Neither my wife nor myself fit the pattern you described. Just pointing out that generalities are just that. I'll go a step farther and say they're also usually wrong but perceptions of them usually come from related personal experience.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 11-04-2011 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or