U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,307,058 times

Advertisements

The only reason for a senior, male of female, to have cosmetic surgery is if they have something really distracting on them like a big eye tag or a nasty looking mole on the nose. The whole idea of a 65 year old trying to look 55 is just plain stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 04:56 PM

973 posts, read 1,490,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The only reason for a senior, male of female, to have cosmetic surgery is if they have something really distracting on them like a big eye tag or a nasty looking mole on the nose. The whole idea of a 65 year old trying to look 55 is just plain stupid.

Besides STUPID being a weird adjective to use, I disagree totally, for if the person still FEELS like he/she is 55, then there is nothing wrong with the outside matching the inside! Not everyone "falls apart" when that magic number of 65 is hit! And to be honest, I think some people may just be jealous of the fact that the person is able to "knock off" a few years.

BUT with that said....being 65 and trying to look 35 would be another matter!

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 11-05-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 05:42 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,589,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The whole idea of a 65 year old trying to look 55 is just plain stupid.
I don't know about stupidity, but I was in awed when I saw my sister after her second plastic surgery, looking like a woman in her early 50s when in fact, she was in her mid 60s. The surgery only made her beautiful on the surface, but the sincere praises from loved ones and the admiration from strangers gave her the vibrant glow that seemed somehow to come from the contentment within. Her happiness was contagious, I was grinning from ear to ear watching her floating like a fairy.

Plastic surgery is still not my thing, but there is nothing wrong with creating happiness with the means one has. We all do the same thing to find happiness, some by traveling and pursuing hobbies, others by paying off the mortgage and padding the nest egg, still others by involving in intellectual and cultural goals. Everything we do is to make ourselves happy, so why deriding someone's wish to look young and beautiful? Who are we to inflict our standards on others?

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 11-05-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 06:28 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,542,446 times
I had medical related plastic surgery as an 'older American'. And the healing did not go well. 3 years and a second surgery to repair the surgery, I am finally healing and HOPE that all is well this time around.

Just saying I am not convinced that healing goes as smoothly at 60 as it did at 30.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:16 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,917,673 times
My big sister had a face lift a few years ago. Let me tell you, she looks AMAZING. It was the right thing for her to do and she loves the results. Those who are against the surgery..dont have it. For those who want to look a bit younger, rested and healthier....why not? the negativity here is amazing.
Sis didnt do it to capture a man. she was unhappy with sags and wrinkles that had developed (family history? Mom had bad wrinkles to) The surgery eliminated the bad stuff and left her looking as beautiful as she did at 40. Whn my time comes, I will do exactly what she did and I hope the results will be as good as hers.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 PM

20,068 posts, read 14,447,368 times
The Twilight Zone Number 12 Looks Just Like You beauty clip - YouTube

Watch this and then decide.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,589,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I don't understand.

The topic of the thread, when expanded, is "Older Americans have the freedom either to age naturally or to fight for their lost youth and beauty, and many chose the latter."

It's not at all similar to the situation portrayed in the clip, in which the state forced the surgery down a woman's throat even when she begged to stay as she was.

If, by saying, "watch this and then decide", you mean to agree with me that we should not force our standards on someone else, then I thank you.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
Some procedures are non-invasive, so that would be my suggestion for the "first line" of cosmetic procedures. If the solution to the look one desires requires surgery - finding the right surgeon is key. Then you have to add good common sense about medical history. If there is no history of problems with anesthesia, for ex., then you are a better candidate for cosmetic surgery over 60 than someone who has had problems w/ surgery.

It is an individual decision. For those who feel it will enhance the way in wh/ they interact w/ the world (or that it will help their career) . . . I think it is great that there are options for "freshening up" one's appearance. Even if I don't choose it for myself - bravo to those who feel it is the right thing for them - and if you have done your research re: medical setting (inpatient? outpatient?) hopefully, the procedure will go well. There are no guarantees - and that is what a person has to keep in mind - things do go wrong and desired results don't always meet expectations. But when things go well - people are typically quite positive about the results.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:54 AM

857 posts, read 4,474,818 times
As someone who had always been considered "very attractive" for most of my adult life I can understand how certain midlife changes can affect someone psychologically. Over the past ten years I have gained weight, developed wrinkles, and have transitioned into someone that no one would even give a second glance at. Do I miss being attractive? Sure! Does it bother me enough to do anything about it? Nope.
I think that if having plastic surgery is going to make someone happy then have at it! I consider myself fortunate that I am okay with my lack of appeal because now I can spend the money on things other than surgery.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:13 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,864,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
I don't know about stupidity, but I was in awed when I saw my sister after her second plastic surgery, looking like a woman in her early 50s when in fact, she was in her mid 60s. The surgery only made her beautiful on the surface, but the sincere praises from loved ones and the admiration from strangers gave her the vibrant glow that seemed somehow to come from the contentment within. Her happiness was contagious, I was grinning from ear to ear watching her floating like a fairy.

Plastic surgery is still not my thing, but there is nothing wrong with creating happiness with the means one has. We all do the same thing to find happiness, some by traveling and pursuing hobbies, others by paying off the mortgage and padding the nest egg, still others by involving in intellectual and cultural goals. Everything we do is to make ourselves happy, so why deriding someone's wish to look young and beautiful? Who are we to inflict our standards on others?
For me, personally (and as a member of a society whose values I wish I could relate to), there is very much something "wrong" with trying to "create happiness with the means one has," IF it includes maiming/mangling/cutting/defacing the body . . .I believe it is an ill-informed attempt to defy death and I resent that the popular culture has dictated that there is nothing "wrong" with this - that anything that money can buy SHOULD be bought . . .it is so superficial and materialistic . . . I resent it because the entire culture is so morally bankrupt, shallow and superficial . . .and each individual's actions are buying into this.

It sort of goes along with the Occupy Wall Street protests of such an immoral culture, from my perspective. I see plastic surgery as not only personally ill-informed, but politically significant, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or