U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:36 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
And, are you giving something other than "your opinion"?

And, I am not sure how "bad teeth" got into this discussion.
I suppose it is a red herring you are running up to distract the discussion.

Fact is that one can tell a lot about how a person has lived their life by looking at their face. Anyone who doesn't not know this is in denial. It is not always a persons fault, but frowning anger stress and hardship take their toll over a lifetime. People who accept their situation, make the best of it regardless, look on the bright side of things, laugh easily, refrain from anger and resentment, don't need plastic surgery. Simple answer, live your life as though you enjoy it and act as if you do even if it is hard. All that angst and anger doesn't change anything, just makes you ugly when you get old.
You seem to feel doing anything to improve on nature is evil, lol. Crowns and veneers fit into that category. So no, it is NOT a distraction - it was a valid point. One can go the cheap route if utilitarian is all one desires - and just put in metal teeth or buy dentures, yet most people will invest the money in crowns, veneers, implants, bridges . . . rather than just stick metal (wh/ is UGLY) into the jaw.

We would all prefer a "pretty" smile. Even if it means acquiring one w/ crowns, veneers, and bridges.

I agree with you - that for most of us - we earn the face we have by our 50s or so. In fact, I stated that earlier on this thread, I believe.

But that hasn't a thing to do w/ someone wishing to refresh their appearance. Just b/c you can look at my face and see I must like to smile a lot (I do!) . . . it doesn't mean I am doing something to deny my mortality or mutilate my body by having some collagen injected or get a face lift.

My point is . . . in your opinion . . . such procedures are not for YOU. I haven't had any procedures, either. But I certainly don't feel it is my right to condemn anyone else and try to demonize them (or their intentions) should they decide it is right for THEM.

That's all.

ETA: I also agree w/ you that one should work to acquire a pleasant countenance on one's face, even if that outward calm or serenity does not reflect what is going on (at any given moment) on the inside. It is amazing how "rearranging" one's expression will send messages to the brain to "rearrange" one's mental/emotional state. Plus, it takes less muscles (and creates less wrinkles) to smile than frown.

Last edited by brokensky; 11-07-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
In the end, plastic surgery is just dishonest.
Life is full of pleasantries and innocuous little lies, m'dear. Most social conventions are based on lies or at least - some variation on stark truth.

Life would be unpleasant, indeed, if everyone were truly honest all the time, lol.

"Thank you so much for the invite! Hate I can't make it! But I am already tied up Friday night" is gonna go over a whole lot better than "Just b/c you are my sister, it doesn't mean I enjoy being in the same room with you and your annoying narcissism and need to condescend for more than five minutes, so NO, I do not wish to attend that concert w/ you Friday night."

Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,868,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Life is full of pleasantries and innocuous little lies, m'dear. Most social conventions are based on lies or at least - some variation on stark truth.

Life would be unpleasant, indeed, if everyone were truly honest all the time, lol.

"Thank you so much for the invite! Hate I can't make it! But I am already tied up Friday night" is gonna go over a whole lot better than "Just b/c you are my sister, it doesn't mean I enjoy being in the same room with you and your annoying narcissism and need to condescend for more than five minutes, so NO, I do not wish to attend that concert w/ you Friday night."
Touche!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,313,169 times
Quote:

ETA: I also agree w/ you that one should work to acquire a pleasant countenance on one's face, even if that outward calm or serenity does not reflect what is going on (at any given moment) on the inside. It is amazing how "rearranging" one's expression will send messages to the brain to "rearrange" one's mental/emotional state. Plus, it takes less muscles (and creates less wrinkles) to smile than frown.
Interesting that we end this in agreement.

We cannot control what is caused by others, but we can control our own response to it. I am convinced that I am exactly where I a am supposed to be, every minute of every day doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing. Call it fate or a higher power or God as you choose. I did not get dropped from space into the bad/good situation in which I find myself, I earned it by my actions. And, I can't call 911 and yell "I'm a celebrity. Get me outta here." So I must accept my place, try to do things different the next time if I don't like the result and for the time being, put on my best smile and make the most of it.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,590,441 times
Quote:
I suppose that it stems from the fact that people who are happy and live healthy honest lives tend to look younger, whereas people who fill their lives with drama, hate, worry and resentment and abuse the body with substances and bad lifestyle tend to look old beyond their years.
Good Lord.

Let's forget that there are people who lost everything due to the circumstances of which they had no control (yes, there are many things that happened to one's life that one can neither control nor change, and ran for one's life was not even possible at times,) barely escaped with their lives, had to start over from zero, worked two or three jobs to support themselves and their families for decades on ends.

Let's not mention that there are people who are as healthy and honest as the day is long but nonetheless look haggard and worn out due to genetic traits.

Let's not be honest with ourselves by ignoring the fact that since we had never walked in other people's shoes for a day or two, we had no idea what kind of burdens they carry on their shoulders, burdens that are so far removed from "drama, hate, worry and resentment and abuse the body with substances and bad lifestyle" as summer from winter.

Let's not use the wisdom that we are supposed to achieve with age and just grab whatever floating on the surface of our brain and fling it out for all and sundry to see.

Quote:
the desire to look younger is a desire to pretend that one has had a healthy happy life. My suggestion is to actually live a happy and healthy life and you won't need to have the surgeons cut on you to make you look like you did.
The best example of condescending I've seen for a long while.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 11-07-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,313,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Good Lord. . . . .

The best example of condescending I've seen for a long while.
I'm sorry you see the need to personalize this discussion by attacking me. First, let me tell you that I do not consider it any of my business what you may think of me or why. Therefore, I really don't care.

But, it sounds like a nerve has been touched by my comments. hopefully, you can put aside your anger and learn from your own emotions. They are telling you that you have fear and guilt over what you have done (not what I have said). Forgive yourself. You probably did the best you could.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:07 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,590,441 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you see the need to personalize this discussion by attacking me.

But, it sounds like a nerve has been touched by my comments. hopefully, you can put aside your anger and learn from your own emotions. They are telling you that you have fear and guilt over what you have done (not what I have said). Forgive yourself. You probably did the best you could.
We must have not read the same thing here.

The discussion became somewhat personalized when, after I shared what my sister did, you wrote:

Post #46: "You had better do so or get a ski mask because an old surgery is a lot worse looking than an old face, boob or buttock.

...No one cares if your sister look 55 instead of 60. She's still an old lady, she is not in the game anyway, and the only satisfaction she gets is looking better than her younger sibling. And is that an altruistic motive?
"

The attack continues:

Post #52: "Persons who cannot accept themselves as they are (with only the modification of disturbing anomalies) deserve pity. Their insecurity and vanity is not a good thing to brag about or encourage. You would do your sister a great service by telling her that her good character and her lifetime of experience is reflected in her aging body, and changing her appearance to disguise herself as someone she is not is a bad mistake."

and continues:

Post #55: "It is a dysfunctional behavior so prevalent and widespread that people can say it out loud without a twinge of embarrassment or self consciousness....

...People who are happy and live healthy honest lives tend to look younger, whereas people who fill their lives with drama, hate, worry and resentment and abuse the body with substances and bad lifestyle tend to look old beyond their years.

... The desire to look younger is a desire to pretend that one has had a healthy happy life. My suggestion is to actually live a happy and healthy life and you won't need to have the surgeons cut on you to make you look like you did.
"

On my reply to your last attack of my sister and others, I asked whether we should use the wisdom that comes with our age, or just willy nilly pulling things out from the top of our head without regards to understanding, compassion, logic, and research. I do not consider that a personal attack. Your sensitivity told you that it is. That sensitivity somehow does not extend to others since you failed to use it when looking at people who do not live according to your decree.

You also said this about me: "put aside your anger and learn from your own emotions... that you have fear and guilt over what you have done. Forgive yourself. You probably did the best you could."

That was another excellent example of the condescending attitude that you have freely shared with us in this thread.

Besides, it was not anger, but annoyance that I experienced when someone repeatedly attacked my sister and others, all perfect strangers, none had ever done anything wrong to the attacker. The only "wrong" thing they did was trying to enhance their looks to give themselves a boost and make themselves better in their own eyes. For reasons that are mysterious to me, you granted yourself the role of authority to judge and condemn them as "selfish, insecure, vain, hatred, resentful, and abusive of their bodies" (all adjectives are yours).

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 11-07-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Interesting that we end this in agreement.

We cannot control what is caused by others, but we can control our own response to it. I am convinced that I am exactly where I a am supposed to be, every minute of every day doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing. Call it fate or a higher power or God as you choose. I did not get dropped from space into the bad/good situation in which I find myself, I earned it by my actions. And, I can't call 911 and yell "I'm a celebrity. Get me outta here." So I must accept my place, try to do things different the next time if I don't like the result and for the time being, put on my best smile and make the most of it.
I suspect we may have a similar outlook on life and how we fit into this plane of existence. I, too, believe I am here for a reason, even if that reason is only to support someone else's mission on any given day.

I was simply making a case for all those who do want some "nip and tuck" or botox for the laugh lines. I guess I believe in "live and let live" . . . I am just responsible for me.

I don't care how someone looks "on the outside" - and perhaps that is the real point you were making (?). . . we are given these vessels for better or worse . . . it's that inner light that matters - and hopefully, shines through.

I also think . . . if people feel doing something to enhance themselves will make them wake up w/ a bigger smile on their faces when they look in the mirror - good for them.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Quote:
Yeah! Think makeup!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

It sort of goes along with the Occupy Wall Street protests of such an immoral culture, from my perspective. I see plastic surgery as not only personally ill-informed, but politically significant, as well.
OWS immoral??? What they are protesting is immoral.

Plastic surgery is no more unnatural than chasing the almighty dollar all our lives and letting the "crooks" off the hook for their outrageous crimes. But let's not go there here, it is the subject of another thread.

On another level, those who are "out there" in the public, like actors and newscasters who make their living largely by their appearance, owe it to society not to wind up looking like some wrinkled old hag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or