U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,131,832 times

Advertisements

Mary Lou Ray decided at age 65 that she had seen enough of the person in her mirror.
"My life led up to this. I had been divorced for 13 years, my children were grown, and with the death of my mother — not to be unkind — I was finally free of criticism about things like dyeing my hair," she says.
So last year she spent $13,000 on a face lift and other cosmetic procedures that proved rejuvenating.

plastic-surgery-rising-among-seniors-wsj: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Like anything in life, do it in moderation, and forgetabout the Joan Rivers look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM

28,500 posts, read 62,217,072 times
hth
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic Surgery Is on the Rise Among Older Americans-smiley_worthlesspics.gif  

Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,868,233 times
Well, whatever floats your boat, I suppose. My friend had upper arm reduction surgery to get rid of the hanging "bat wings" after a substantial weight loss. What her surgeon failed to tell her was the substantial amount of pain she suffered for months--and is still suffering, though it's starting to get better with fascio massage for the adhesions.

She told me she's not sure she would have done it had she known. Surgery--any surgery--carries a risk.

Me, I'm chicken, no elective surgery for me. I am a regular gym goer, do yoga, ride my bike, drink lots of water and try to eat my veggies..that's my fountain of youth. My face looks its age, but it's a happy face...so I just don't look in the mirror that much, and smile, smile, smile. Love getting smiles back.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,743,032 times
Last evening, I started to watch a TV documentary on Joan Rivers. While I always enjoyed her real life/cutting edge comedy, she looked so bad/ugly (plastic surgery) I could not watch it all.

Buyer beware.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Is it real or is it Memorex?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:18 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,039,638 times
Well, Joan is 78 y/o. For 78, her energy is amazing. She keeps the schedule of someone in their 30s. I watch her on QVC selling her jewelry and her clothes - at all hours of the day and night. She's gotta be on HRT in a big way along with the plastic surgery.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 PM

5,176 posts, read 8,699,926 times
Smile Barbara Walters

Years ago, I saw Barbara Walters speak in Miami. She looked great and we got her to sign her book so we were face to face.

This was 30 years ago and I always remember her saying - "I never get nervous but I'm nervous today b/c my mother is here in the audience" - that make her so approachable and I didn't really notice how many wrinkles she had at the time!!

(Still looks great)

Old 11-01-2011, 09:02 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,862,561 times
It's a shame people are so afraid of death that they would slice their faces up. It really doesn't change anything . . .

Old 11-01-2011, 10:51 PM

17,409 posts, read 21,254,176 times
Plastic surgery works both ways, you can have wrinkles removed or added!

I've always wanted a long, deep crease across my forehead. I've been waiting and waiting for that to develop, and one of these days I may just lose my patience and fork up the $$ to have it done, so I can look like a wise old Native American!

When I look at the groteque features of Wayne Newton, made possible by plastic surgery, that's enough to make me think more than twice of looking younger. I don't even know how he can even look at himself into a mirror! I call it a tragedy!

Last edited by tijlover; 11-01-2011 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
I know a lot of women who have taken advantage of cosmetic surgery over the last 30 years . . and I decided after seeing the longterm affects of most of these surgeries that the potential risks are probably not worth the benefits for me.

One of my friends has four children, so back in the mid-80s, had a tummy tuck to eradicate what she called "cow udders," lol. I totally understood why she would want to do that. However, starting in the 90s, she has had terrible problems with abdominal adhesions, wh/ has led to more surgery and continued adhesions. She was back in the hospital last month - all these years later - trying to get the problem straightened out. Her intestines have been affected and they had to resect part of her bowel.

Her on-going saga pretty much turned me off to having any sort of abdominal surgery that wasn't absolutely necessary.

I have two friends who have had "lifestyle" lifts. Both are thrilled w/ the results. Those procedures have been too recent for me to see what longterm effects that surgery may include but the pain was more intense than either had expected and one had problems with infection . . . I just don't think that is something I want to go through.

Others use botox . . . but my sister tried using it and had an allergic reaction! So I don't dare mess with it . . .I might consider collagen injections but I understand you have to keep them up - it is not a "one time" fix . . . and doing so can be quite a sizeable annual expense. I just don't want to have to commit the resources to start that and have to keep investing the money in the procedures. For those who feel they can afford it - I think that is great!

Many of the women I know have had liposuction, but the results were not always the same. Several had to keep going back for "touch ups" (whatever that is, lol). And one gained weight and the fat distribution was very odd - so she had to go back for yet more liposuction. It can be a merry-go-round of multiple procedures, even tho it starts off being a "one time" procedure.

For folks who are willing to take the risks and have the $$$ to do it - I think there are many procedures out there that can give a person a "lift" to their looks and a boost to their self-esteem. Many physicians have finance plans available so for those who want to have cosmetic surgery, the cost is not always a huge barrier.

I am just too chicken to put myself thru/ anesthesia and a surgical knife unless it is for a life-saving reason. Non-invasive cosmetic procedures are something I might consider, however.

As a young woman, I looked at the folks around me and thought - it seems we all receive the face we have earned by the time we are in our 50s. Our faces tell a story about us. Maybe we spent too much time in the sun, playing tennis or golf! Maybe we suffered thru/ a loved one's illness and those frown lines are now part of who we are and a testament to someone we lost.

A beautiful spirit is reflected through one's eyes, smile and overall countenance . . . those wrinkles can add depth to the story. Surface, physical beauty can be acquired . . . It is the spiritual beauty that captures me when I meet someone.

I hope our society never becomes so fixated on youth that the natural process of aging (wh/ should be a process of learning and gaining wisdom!) becomes something we wish to hide . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or