U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM

570 posts, read 1,146,085 times

Advertisements

Personally, I love my husband very much and would never want to lose him. But if, heaven forbid, anything happened to him, I would be perfectly content remaining single for the duration. I enjoy alone time and having my own space. I'm not one of those people who needs to be one half of a couple in order to feel validated and successful.

However, it never ceases to amaze me how people can expend so much mental energy focusing on how other people run their lives. To the OP: Would you have taken it as a joke, or as an insult, if your had neighbor suggested you should get a life, since you're a stay at home husband? I see nothing wrong with that life choice at all - but some people 'joke' and make negative insinuations about it, just the same. And just because your neighbor smiled over this exchange does not mean she was smiling inside. Some people don't like confrontation, or simply refuse to be baited. Doesn't mean they enjoy it.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 PM

7,341 posts, read 16,662,001 times
Well, I've read some very interesting things in this thread........some very good others.....well, won't go there!
A couple of posters wouldn't have been annoyed at all by what I said to this one lady and those posters said that. Those posters even stated that their family and friends have asked them why they want to be single/alone and they weren't annoyed by those family members and friends asking them.

I have a very humorous side of which apparently many of you don't! I talk to people and make comments, sometimes sly/kidding/sarcastic types and......there has never been a problem.
Actually, this lady and I talked about her smoking because I use to be in healthcare. Very simple, "down-to-earth" talk. One time wife and I were talking to her about her being single and I said JOKINGLY "I'll tell you what, we will write up a Personal Ad for you. How does that sound?". She smiled and said "naw, that's ok" We said, "take care, see you later" and she waved "bye".

I'm getting very tired of defending my personality and both wife and I are almost "laughed out", so might just end my part of this thread here.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 PM

4,011 posts, read 3,231,535 times
So BOTH of you are harrasing this woman about being single?? Nice. Now I know for sure what she is thinking about you.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,701,047 times
[quote=LoveBoating;21545099]Well, I've read some very interesting things in this thread........some very good others.....well, won't go there!
A couple of posters wouldn't have been annoyed at all by what I said to this one lady and those posters said that. Those posters even stated that their family and friends have asked them why they want to be single/alone and they weren't annoyed by those family members and friends asking them.

I have a very humorous side of which apparently many of you don't! I talk to people and make comments, sometimes sly/kidding/sarcastic types and......there has never been a problem.
Actually, this lady and I talked about her smoking because I use to be in healthcare. Very simple, "down-to-earth" talk. One time wife and I were talking to her about her being single and I said JOKINGLY "I'll tell you what, we will write up a Personal Ad for you. How does that sound?". She smiled and said "naw, that's ok" We said, "take care, see you later" and she waved "bye".

I'm getting very tired of defending my personality and both wife and I are almost "laughed out", so might just end my part of this thread here.[/quote]

You started this thread! If you can't take the heat I guess you should get outta the kitchen.

You cornered this woman about her smoking???? It's NONE of your business! I wouldn't blame this woman if she built a ten foot fence between your places! You seem to have waaaay too much interest in her personal business.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 PM

If the person has a smile on their face when they tell me this, then I'd definitely take it as a joke or at least not nearly as serious as many in this thread have taken it! I'm laid-back and light-hearted and really enjoy humor. Ask the guy at our Halloween Party when he asked me "where's your costume" (wife and I were in regular clothes) and then said, with a smile, "oh, you're wearing it" and I simply smiled and laughed and said "that's cool!". I've known this dude for 3 yrs now and he's just as humorous/sarcastic as I can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
Personally, I love my husband very much and would never want to lose him. But if, heaven forbid, anything happened to him, I would be perfectly content remaining single for the duration. I enjoy alone time and having my own space. I'm not one of those people who needs to be one half of a couple in order to feel validated and successful.

However, it never ceases to amaze me how people can expend so much mental energy focusing on how other people run their lives. To the OP: Would you have taken it as a joke, or as an insult, if your had neighbor suggested you should get a life, since you're a stay at home husband? I see nothing wrong with that life choice at all - but some people 'joke' and make negative insinuations about it, just the same. And just because your neighbor smiled over this exchange does not mean she was smiling inside. Some people don't like confrontation, or simply refuse to be baited. Doesn't mean they enjoy it.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 PM

15,169 posts, read 13,453,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I read her the replies to this thread because a lot of them are so hesterical to both of us!
All I ask was "why older single men/women love being alone?" Wife and I think it's because:
They want to do whatever, whenever they want to without having to ask/tell a partner about it.
The want to spend money on anything they want and not have to discuss with a partner before doing it.
They can smoke and/or drink without a partner complaining about it.
They don't have to share a thing they own.

All we can think of right now.

Many of you don't like my personality, but I don't have to worry about your likes/dislikes! Wife and I like my personality and I do say things and ask questions to some folks that you folks think are not appropriate. Only thing is, these folks that I tell things/ask questions don't get pi**ed at me......they simply answer the questions. And, when I make a statement with a smile on my face, the lady neighbor knows that I'm somewhat joking and says something back to me.
That pretty much sums it up.

I was married for a few years in my 30's......that was enough for me.

Have dated off and on since then.....I am now 58.

Never fails.....after dating for "X" amount of time, {it varies}, the man invariably begins to try to take control.

You should do this, you should do that, why did you do this, why did you do that.....where WERE YOU?

Another one that always comes up within a few dates: "We are going to have to get you a cell phone!" Translation: I want you to get a cell phone so I can keep track of where you are and what you are doing every minute of the day. {{{shiver}}}

I don't even date anymore. Don't want 4 - 5 phone calls a day.....I don't feel the need to give constant updates on what I am doing/thinking throughout the day and night.....and I don't care to hear updates on what you are doing/thinking throughout the day and night.

Women are always portrayed as the clingy ones......well....in my experience.....men are the clingy ones.

I cherish my privacy and my independence.....some people see that as being selfish.....I don't. I see it as being content and happy.

Would have liked to have found someone who was only interested in a casual dating relationship.....never did.....no longer looking.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:24 PM

NOBODY corneredd anybody.......what the He** did you get that?? We were talking by her patio and a conversation came up about her smoking! I guess you don't talk to anybody about anything?? And, this lady still talks to me, so I must have said NOTHING wrong!

[quote=AZDesertBrat;21545180]
Quote:
Well, I've read some very interesting things in this thread........some very good others.....well, won't go there!

I'm getting very tired of defending my personality and both wife and I are almost "laughed out", so might just end my part of this thread here.[/quote]

You started this thread! If you can't take the heat I guess you should get outta the kitchen.

You cornered this woman about her smoking???? It's NONE of your business! I wouldn't blame this woman if she built a ten foot fence between your places! You seem to have waaaay too much interest in her personal business.

Last edited by LoveBoating; 11-02-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Well, have had enough of this thread, so it IS time to "get out of the kitchen". "Thread Closed", for me anyway!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,519,632 times
Quote:
Who in the He** is a "troll" and angry and bored. Not me by any sense.
But, your reply would be one that wife and I would definitely laugh about!
LB, I might suggest you beware of being defensive. There's usually an underlying cause. If you're truly "comfortable" with you and your circumstances there's no need for that. As they say nowadays, just sayin'.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,875,478 times
Oh come on, I'm still having fun reading!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement