Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 12:41 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
... this lady still talks to me, so I must have said NOTHING wrong!
As I observed in post 70, she probably still talks to you on the outside just to keep the peace with a neighbor. You may not want to know what she's saying to you on the inside.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That pretty much sums it up.

I was married for a few years in my 30's......that was enough for me.

Have dated off and on since then.....I am now 58.

Never fails.....after dating for "X" amount of time, {it varies}, the man invariably begins to try to take control.

You should do this, you should do that, why did you do this, why did you do that.....where WERE YOU?

Another one that always comes up within a few dates: "We are going to have to get you a cell phone!" Translation: I want you to get a cell phone so I can keep track of where you are and what you are doing every minute of the day. {{{shiver}}}

I don't even date anymore. Don't want 4 - 5 phone calls a day.....I don't feel the need to give constant updates on what I am doing/thinking throughout the day and night.....and I don't care to hear updates on what you are doing/thinking throughout the day and night.

Women are always portrayed as the clingy ones......well....in my experience.....men are the clingy ones.

I cherish my privacy and my independence.....some people see that as being selfish.....I don't. I see it as being content and happy.

Would have liked to have found someone who was only interested in a casual dating relationship.....never did.....no longer looking.
Boy, do I agree with you! I also found all those things to be true. I tried to find a casual dating relationship also, about ten years ago, but men just aren't interested in that. And I'm not interested in living with someone and all that entails.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
LoveBoating--

Have you ever been to the South? Here in the land of gracious behaviours, we (I sometimes consider myself an adopted Southerner) always veil our insults with our sweetest smile and our trademarked "bless your heart". All the bold quotes below are yours, BTW.

"I said it with a SMILE on my face, "You are alone again on weekend? Bless your heart, you should get a life, lady."

"She replied with a SMILE on hers, "I'm thinking about it." = "I know you want to pretend that you care, bless your cheeky heart, but I've better things to think about than dealing with you." (OK, so my Southern image has a British accent, sue me.)

"So, by this lady smiling at me and saying "I'm thinking about it", I made a mockery of her?" Bless your simple heart, you've finally got it.

"One lady told me..........AGAIN, with a smile, "I've got my man right here". When I said "oh really" she said "yes, he's got four legs and a beautiful coat" (referring to her male Golden Retriever.)" This is such a classic line. Charles de Gaulle once expressed the same sentiment, "Plus je connais les hommes, plus j'aime les chiens", or "The more I know about men/human beings, the better I love dogs." Many years later, your neighbour used that sentiment to poke at you, and it went right over your head, bless your clueless heart.

"This lady says "hi" to wife and I whenever she is outside walking her dog and sees us." What a polite neighbourhood you and your wife live in, you must have done something good in your past life to deserve it, bless your blinking heart.

"They know my personality and that I like to ask questions/joke around." Of course they do, as they must have learned how to live with a nosey parker. You can't help it, can't you, bless your gormless heart.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 11-02-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 01:58 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
LoveBoating--

Have you ever been to the South? Here in the land of gracious behaviours, we (I sometimes consider myself an adopted Southerner) always veil our insults with our sweetest smile and our trademarked "bless your heart". All the bold quotes below are yours, BTW.

"I said it with a SMILE on my face." = "You are alone again on weekend? Bless your heart, you should get a life, lady."

"She replied with a SMILE on hers, "I'm thinking about it." = "I know you want to pretend that you care, bless your cheeky heart, but I've better things to think about than dealing with you." (OK, so my Southern image has a British accent, sue me.)

"So, by this lady smiling at me and saying "I'm thinking about it", I made a mockery of her?" Bless your simple heart, you've finally got it.

"One lady told me..........AGAIN, with a smile, "I've got my man right here". When I said "oh really" she said "yes, he's got four legs and a beautiful coat" (referring to her male Golden Retriever.)" This is such a classic line. Charles de Gaulle once expressed the same sentiment, "Plus je connais les hommes, plus j'aime les chiens", or "The more I know about men/human beings, the better I love dogs." Many years later, your neighbour used that sentiment to poke at you, and it went right over your head, bless your clueless heart.

"This lady says "hi" to wife and I whenever she is outside walking her dog and sees us." What a polite neighbourhood you and your wife live in, you must have done something good in your past life to deserve it, bless your blinking heart.

"They know my personality and that I like to ask questions/joke around." Of course they do, as they must have learned how to live with a nosey parker. You can't help it, can't you, bless your gormless heart.

Well, good gracious me, how wonderful this is. Bravo!!

Old 11-02-2011, 06:02 PM

48 posts, read 44,891 times
I think everyone should try not to be so hard on LoveBoating. After all, he probably feels very self-conscious and inadequate, being taken care of by a woman. That situation is not easy for men, because it destroys their feeling of self-worth. His defense mechanism is to be judgmental and condescending towards women in general, and especially towards women who don't feel they need a man to be happy. Somehow, that really irks him.

Everyone who secretly feels like a failure needs to find someone to look down at. So LoveBoating looks down at his neighbor. But she probably could not care less what he thinks of her, fortunately.

Some people need to be in a romantic relationship at all times and others don't. Or you might need it at certain phases of life but not in others. An older woman who has lots of interests and friends might enjoy her life more without a man who demands all her attention and is jealous of her other interests.

I try not to spend a lot of time with people who don't share my interests. I feel that life is too short. I am very glad I don't have a husband like LoveBoating.

To each his/her own, and live and let live. When you tell someone they should "get a life," you really mean they should be just like you. If you had any imagination, you would realize that not everyone is like you. And THANK GOD for that.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Loveboating, I think your neighbor is "having you on" since you are so nosy about her business. Hence her responses to your questions. She may have a big party to go to but wouldn't tell you since you appear to feel you have the right to dictate her life.

If I were her, I would tell you to get a life because anyone who would criticize mine doesn't sound like they are all that pleased with theirs. You seem a bit preoccupied with her. What does your wife think of this?

So, your neighbor and I would be good friends. I love being alone. I was married from age 20-30. I have been more content being by myself and having the freedom to do what I want when I want. Living by oneself does not mean be alone or lonely. Friends fill that gap. And activities and so forth. At the end of the day, I am my best friend.

My favorite thing, is to snuggle up to my "inter-species family," my cat, eating popcorn and watching a food movie on TV or reading a book.

To each his/her own.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:17 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
I'm curious as to what Loveboating had in mind when he started this thread about his neighbor. Did he think everyone was going to "get on board" his love boat and say what a loser she is?

What were you thinking Loveboating?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:35 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
I have one thing to say: I'd rather be alone, than be stuck with the wrong person.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm curious View Post
I'm curious as to what Loveboating had in mind when he started this thread about his neighbor. Did he think everyone was going to "get on board" his love boat and say what a loser she is?

What were you thinking Love Boating?
I'mcurious, I am curious too. Also I wonder who questions someone else's life, especially someone who is just a neighbor, so intensely as to criticize they way they live?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Honestly, I think this thread is meant to just stir the pot. It's not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement