U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 PM

6,138 posts, read 9,111,221 times

Advertisements

Well, as time goes by, now I find myself getting a little bored with retirement. I am considering starting a business, probably on line selling something, or something that a retired social worker could do, for money. Has anyone else thought of this solution to boredom and lack of retirement funds? If so, what have you chosen to do?

I have absolutely no business experience whatsoever. Have always been in the "helping professions" and now am stymied as to what I can do to increase my income, yet being aware of my physical limitations (arthritis) and other ailments (shrinking brain), pick an appropriate business. Any ideas? Find a need and fill it, so they say. Am looking for the "need".
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,538,376 times
No need. No desire. Guess we planned our retirements well!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM

570 posts, read 1,146,796 times
In general, I would say that if you have any hobbies you are particularly good at, start there. Could you parlay any of your hobbbies into a business? Anything from crafting to blogging can be turned into dollars, if it is the right product in the right place. I would think it could be extremely difficult to start a business in a field in which you don't already have experience. But, then, I'm not much of a salesperson, so I could be wrong

Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 PM

5,185 posts, read 8,713,592 times
Smile I have known others...

Barb,
My husband has quite a few clients who did retire and do not need to do anything else. However, they have found themselves wanting to do something on their own time.

I know one girl who was good at children's items. She created a website, set up vendors, buys (and makes) clothing for the 1-4 year old set. For example, for Halloween, she had tutu's,wands, cute headbands and it fulfills her need. I don't know how much she makes but she's happy doing it.

I personally think it's hard to go from a very active, chaotic lifestyle to one that is more quiet. I personally think it's more difficult for those that are self employed b/c somehow you're always working and when you leave that life, it's hard to turn it off.

A couple of his other clients did find part time work - one guy loves golf so he works part time at a pro shop and now gets free golf. So, that's a win-win. I sometimes think it's more about being around people too.

Sometimes, you can plan and plan and the end result is not exactly what you thought it would be. Often, one spouse may love it and the other not so much. So, lots of variables!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,359,189 times
I have considered this several times. Haven't actually done anything about it.

I thought about doing the online travel agent route, since booking cruises can be quite lucrative if you like to travel and know something about it. But for me that's too limiting, so I've not done anything.

I also considered studying ESL to teach or tutor it, but since I'm living in 3 different places, tough to spend the time to take the course. I have tutored, however, and it's very rewarding. If your language skills are excellent, there are online ESL tutoring companies that might be able to hook you up tutoring students online. Just a thought.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,332,880 times
I think retired social workers make excellent expert witnesses. Did you work with family care? Child custody? Finances? Get a good engagement letter, make a little brochure and get a list of divorce, guardianship and probate attorneys and see if you can get some work. Charge about 5 times what you made per hour as a social worker, money up front. Minimum of x hours to review a case file. Four hour court or deposition minimum. One hour to read and approve deposition for every hour of testimony. Portal to portal. Plus expenses. Just call em as you see em and let the lawyers do the rest.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM

525 posts, read 769,321 times
hang it up 20 year olds are having a tough job these days even at mcdonolds.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM

6,138 posts, read 9,111,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
hang it up 20 year olds are having a tough job these days even at mcdonolds.
Hang it up isn't a good answer. The mind seeks to be busy. And those 20 year olds could quit McDonalds if they wanted to and start their own business. Look at what Steve Jobs started in his parents garage. It just takes the right mind set. I'm workin' on it...

Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,249,290 times
I have a friend who is retired and makes boutique nursery items and sells them both online and to a baby boutique. She had never really been an expert seamstress, but she learned quickly and makes an average (she has said) of about $700 a month and works only a few hours a week, whenever she feels like it. She does have arthritis but she says it hasn't stopped her as she doesn't push herself and works at a pace that is comfortable for her.

I would also suggest Etsy.com - as a great place to get ideas and to consider as a showcase for selling anything you might decide to create.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 PM

28,569 posts, read 62,371,913 times
I think about it all the time.
I'm a bit beat up but still too young to be 'retired'.

If the economy were in better shape I'd be pushing for something more.
But I need *something* to get the juices flowing again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or