U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My husband and I are in your camp. Only caveat is when we're trying to find a new doctor (like when one of ours retires) - it may take a while to find a new doctor we like and trust. Robyn
Same for us in the past, and even the recent past when we moved from one state to another. This last time we purposely chose a doctor considerably younger than we are who is from and has strong family ties to this area. He's not going anywhere, and says as much. The chances are good he'll outlive us by a wide margin. Search over! As an added bonus, he's more on top of pharmacology than any doctor we've had before.

Won't those who think they know better be really surprised to one day find that they're dying of nothing and it could have been prevented!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:59 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes.

Why, you may ask? Because my doctor isn't responsible for my health. God and I are. And, I understand that I'll die someday from something and I'm not afraid of it.

It really doesn't matter to me what the final cause is.
Well - we're all going to die. But we're not all going to have strokes that may incapacitate us for years or decades because we had uncontrolled hyertension - lose a foot because we didn't take care of diabetes - etc. Morbidity rates aren't the same thing as mortality rates. Robyn

Old 11-10-2011, 03:06 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,364,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I'm the type of person who hates to be dependent on anything and I've never taken much in the ways of drugs (not those other kind, either, LOL) or even vitamins.

I don't want to some day know I could have prevented taking such drugs because of something I did (diet, not enough exercise, etc).

If you could go back 10 years, is there a medication you know take that you think could have been prevented? I am trying to lose weight (very slowly - 1/2 to 1 pound a week) and I'm trying to improve my diet. It's very hard b/c I love the wrong foods.

I also need to exercise more. I'm looking for - if I knew it was going to be this way, 10 years ago I would have ______________ (fill in the blank).

Now, if vitamins are really good, let me know that also (I'm not good with all this).
The best thing you can do is to reduce your level of prepackaged processed foods and replace them with whole foods (as close to the way that nature intended them). Eating lots of raw, organic, fruits and vegetables is the key. It takes a lot of discipline and effort and determination.

If you need more information there are tons of websites out there. Just google Markus Rothkranz, Gabriel Cousens, Paul Nison for lots more good information.

good luck.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That begs the question, why do you have a doctor at all?

That's essentially what my doctor said! ("If you're not going to do what I say, why do you come to see me?")

Why indeed? Because seeing him regularly will inevitably find some existing problem. After all, I'm 62 years old and won't remain in perfect health forever. When a problem is found, I'll then listen to his advice, consider the alternatives, and decide whether I want to proceed with treatments or just let it kill me.

What I WON'T do is try to "prevent" something from happening. I won't take preventative drugs for some condition I don't already have. That's foolish, in my opinion, because nobody knows what will happen to any of us in the next second, let alone years down the road, and loading my body up with a mix of chemicals to "prevent" some potential issue isn't worth the trade off. More than likely, doing so will only create some OTHER condition which I might not have developed in the first place. There ARE long-term side-effects from taking numerous drugs and it seems to be a case of simply trading one cause of death for another.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Same for us in the past, and even the recent past when we moved from one state to another. This last time we purposely chose a doctor considerably younger than we are who is from and has strong family ties to this area. He's not going anywhere, and says as much. The chances are good he'll outlive us by a wide margin. Search over! As an added bonus, he's more on top of pharmacology than any doctor we've had before.

Won't those who think they know better be really surprised to one day find that they're dying of nothing and it could have been prevented!

Won't those who exercise regularly, eat right and take all the popular drugs be surprised when they find themselves dying of something which CAN'T be prevented.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Well - we're all going to die. But we're not all going to have strokes that may incapacitate us for years or decades because we had uncontrolled hyertension - lose a foot because we didn't take care of diabetes - etc. Morbidity rates aren't the same thing as mortality rates. Robyn

And, who can guarantee we won't have that stroke or something similar no matter what we do or fail to do? Nobody. All we're being asked to do is play the odds and, frankly, I like the odds on Harrah's slot machines better.

Life is for living...not for fearing death.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I just simply refuse to take any drugs to "prevent" some problem I don't have now. For instance, I won't take the Statin's my Dr prescribed for my nearly high cholesterol. If it's not a problem, it doesn't need a pill.
Just curious what you think is "nearly high" cholesterol. If my cholesterol were normal (as opposed to high) - I wouldn't take a drug for it. If for no other reason than I love grapefruit - and can't eat it while I'm on a statin (note that there are other drugs now with "grapefruit warnings" - although I think statins were the first).

BTW to Bette - one problem with vitamins and other OTC drugs and so-called supplements is they're not innocuous - and can interact with prescription drugs - among themselves - and with various foods. Which is why - when you go to a doctor these days - he or she will want a list of *everything* you're taking - not only prescription meds. Look at it this way. Aspirin is an OTC drug. But it can cause serious GI bleeds (among other things). So I don't think your question should be limited only to prescription meds.

FWIW - the only drug that I take about which reasonable people (or doctors) might have different points of view is Premarin. If I didn't take the drug - I would have gone through surgically induced menopause quite a while ago. And I didn't/don't want to go through menopause. My particular doctors believe that the benefits of long-term HRT outweigh the risks - especially for women who are at low risk for breast cancer. So my desires are in synch with their recommendations. OTOH - if I still had all my female plumbing - I doubt I would have reached the same conclusion. On the third hand - if there's any medical reason at all to do it - I'd get rid of all my female plumbing if I were in my 50's or older. At a certain age - all female plumbing is is another place to get cancer. Robyn

Old 11-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The best thing you can do is to reduce your level of prepackaged processed foods and replace them with whole foods (as close to the way that nature intended them). Eating lots of raw, organic, fruits and vegetables is the key. It takes a lot of discipline and effort and determination.

If you need more information there are tons of websites out there. Just google Markus Rothkranz, Gabriel Cousens, Paul Nison for lots more good information.

good luck.

20yrsinBranson
I have had IBS for almost 40 years - and recent studies show that a lot of foods that are supposed to be "good" for you aren't if you have IBS. Like broccoli - yogurt - apples and soy beans:

When Everyday Foods Are Hard to Digest - WSJ.com

There are other people with other GI problems who find themselves with similarly weird findings when it comes to various foods. Heck - after 40 years - if I knew I could eat Kraft Mac and Cheese twice a day and never have a problem - I'd do it. Robyn

Old 11-10-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
And, who can guarantee we won't have that stroke or something similar no matter what we do or fail to do? Nobody. All we're being asked to do is play the odds and, frankly, I like the odds on Harrah's slot machines better.

Life is for living...not for fearing death.
There are no guarantees in life. But I'd rather play craps in Las Vegas (even though I don't know how to play the game) than let really high blood pressure or diabetes go untreated.

You know - maybe nothing is wrong with *you* - that's possible. All your blood work is normal - your blood pressure is fine - etc. But it isn't necessarily true for all of us here.

BTW - do you take any OTC drugs or supplements? And - if so - why?

And do you get the regular scans/tests you're supposed to get at your age (like an annual mammogram)? Robyn

Old 11-10-2011, 03:53 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,430,364 times
Quote:
You are exactly right yes we will die of something, a lot of deseases can leave you with no quality of life unless they are treated with drugs and a change of lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement