U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM

48 posts, read 38,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I don't even know, or care, what constitutes high cholesterol. "Nearly" high is just how my doctor styled it. It was sort of like it was getting close to being a problem, so he wanted me to take a statin to keep it from becoming a problem.

To my way of thinking, that means I don't have a problem, so I won't take it. Actually, I wouldn't take it if I did. The potential liver damage isn't worth the potential benefits to my arteries. As you may know, statin's are hard enough on the liver by themselves and, if you drink alcohol, it's even worse. I like beer and don't have any intention of giving it up for the sake of taking a pill for a problem I don't yet have.

Why would I?
Don't take statins unless it's absolutely necessary. They do not cure artery disease, just help reduce the inflammation. There are better more natural ways to reduce inflammation, such as getting moderate exercise every day and eating reasonably.

Lowering cholesterol is only incidental, and not related to preventing heart disease or stroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird52 View Post
Don't take statins unless it's absolutely necessary. They do not cure artery disease, just help reduce the inflammation. There are better more natural ways to reduce inflammation, such as getting moderate exercise every day and eating reasonably.

Lowering cholesterol is only incidental, and not related to preventing heart disease or stroke.
And this come from what verifiable authority?

Isn't it a bit late in life for voodoo science and medicine?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:26 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,360,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I have had IBS for almost 40 years - and recent studies show that a lot of foods that are supposed to be "good" for you aren't if you have IBS. Like broccoli - yogurt - apples and soy beans:

When Everyday Foods Are Hard to Digest - WSJ.com

There are other people with other GI problems who find themselves with similarly weird findings when it comes to various foods. Heck - after 40 years - if I knew I could eat Kraft Mac and Cheese twice a day and never have a problem - I'd do it. Robyn
The food you eat requires enzymes to digest it. If you cook food, those enzymes are destroyed in the cooking process. If you eat raw foods you do not have this problem because nature (or God, if you prefer) has put the enzymes that you need to digest the food DIRECTLY INTO THE FOOD you are eating.

If you find that you are having problems with raw food, then you need to start eating them by juicing them first, then as your body (and digestive tract) gets stronger and more used to the food, begin to eat a little solid raw food along with the juiced stuff.

I have read in several books that people with Crone's disease have been cured by eating raw. They never thought they would be able to do it, and were "prescribed" a diet with little fiber. But upon adopting a fully raw diet (slowly), they discovered not only that they could eat it, but it relieved the symptoms.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,960,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird52 View Post

This is correct and in line with recommendations by the Mayo Clinic.

Statins: Are these cholesterol-lowering drugs right for you? - MayoClinic.com

Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 PM

48 posts, read 38,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And this come from what verifiable authority?

Isn't it a bit late in life for voodoo science and medicine?
The last time I read about research on cholesterol drugs -- maybe a year ago, not sure exactly -- they had found that non-statin cholesterol lowering drugs did not prevent heart attacks and strokes. So the cholesterol level is not necessarily so important. Blocked arteries usually result from an auto-immune inflammatory syndrome. The cholesterol and plaque that blocks the arteries is actually the body's attempt to patch up damaged arteries.

Not always, but in the typical cases I believe that is what happens. You don't, in general, have a heart attack because your cholesterol is too high. The high cholesterol and the blocked arteries are both RESULTS of the underlying syndrome.

When the drug companies see a chance to sell drugs they don't worry about being scientific and logical.

There are probably some individuals with extremely high cholesterol who need statins. It is not the same disease as the much more common inflammatory disease.

If you want to prevent heart disease and stroke, have a reasonable lifestyle and don't take statins or blood pressure drugs. If you have been sitting in front of the TV eating junk food for the past 40 years, don't expect to be cured overnight by lifestyle changes.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 PM

3,868 posts, read 5,932,642 times
I dont like to take pills either. I do take a mild high blood pressure medication because its dangerous to have high blood pressure. If I lost fifty pounds I probably would not have to take it. I eat well but I love sweets and carbs so I am overweight.

I also take a multivitamin pill with minerals everyday, krill oil pill, and vitamin d.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,664,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you have health insurance?
No. I get all my health care at the VA.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you get vaccinated?
Not usually. I'll take a tetanus shot when I hurt myself, but that's all. I've never taken a pneumonia or flu shot, though I do take malaria pills if I'm headed for the tropics.

Quote:
Really? What data do you have?
No "data." Just a life time's worth of observations.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As have far too many of us. They called it Vietnam.

In my estimation, that's no plausible reason to indulge in voodoo science, or lack thereof. Shaking the Reaper's hand simply gave me a greater desire to outlast him.

But as with all opinions, this is just one man's.
Quang Nam province was where I first met him.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,008,856 times
Quote:
I do take malaria pills if I'm headed for the tropics.

seems to contradict with

Quote:
What I WON'T do is try to "prevent" something from happening. I won't take preventative drugs for some condition I don't already have. That's foolish, in my opinion, because nobody knows what will happen to any of us in the next second, let alone years down the road, and loading my body up with a mix of chemicals to "prevent" some potential issue isn't worth the trade off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement