U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 PM

786 posts, read 1,908,458 times

Advertisements

I used to keep up with politics and news events...back in the old days when I actually had hope that everyday people could make a difference. I still can get caught up in various topics at times. I find myself checking MSNBC to hear what the left is thinking...then I check out Fox to hear what's coming out of the far right...then I check out CNN to hear something closer to the middle. From all these sources, it's all dribble...whining...and unproductive finger pointing. So...I have to give myself "down time" and ignore it all for a while.

Whenever my wife and I take the camper away for a week or so, we don't take television or internet with us. It's amazing how GREAT we feel after being out of the loop for a few days. In my opinion, a week without "news" ...or that garbage that gets passed along as if it's "news," ...is a very healthy experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 AM

19,828 posts, read 19,927,191 times
One retirement goal I am working at is to become totally apathetic.
Sounds like I'm not alone in having arrived at jaded and pessimistic

We've bought into a winter place with an HOA and I'm being pressured to join run for the board.
As important as it is and as much as the existing members should be replaced, I don't want to, I don't want to, I don't want to.
I'd so much like to.
"just want to ignore it all and pretend everything's ok "

Old 11-08-2011, 05:36 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,609,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I know that as a good citizen I should be out there making a difference by advocacy, etc. Truth is, I spent a good deal of my younger years doing social good and now I feel like the world will spin on after I'm gone so I should just ignore the news (me, a former journalist ), kick back, soak up the sun, and vej out. Then I start to feel guilty having this attitude. Anyone else tired of worldly concerns at our age and just want to ignore it all and pretend everything's ok (which it isn't for a huge number of people out there)???
Don't feel guilty. Guilt is something that is imposed on us by others. What I mean by that is that we have learned from someone along the way about feeling guilty. It's not meant to make you feel good. That's why you will not be able to relax and go with your natural inclination now which is to 'kick back.' Drop the guilt and listen to yourself. Cheers!

p.s. yes, the world has been spinning all along and will continue to spin.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
One retirement goal I am working at is to become totally apathetic.
Sounds like I'm not alone in having arrived at jaded and pessimistic

We've bought into a winter place with an HOA and I'm being pressured to join run for the board.
As important as it is and as much as the existing members should be replaced, I don't want to, I don't want to, I don't want to.
I'd so much like to.
"just want to ignore it all and pretend everything's ok "
Don't join a board. Everyone wants good new members but soon you get caught up in squabbles, others' apathy, stalemates, etc. Ask if you can just be an "advisor" (advisory committee) to the board, checking in every now and then.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Yes, I am withdrawing more and more. No longer keep CNN on in the background. Spent my life first in news (editor, newspaper and magazine), then switched to advertising, later to my own agency, specializing in healthcare. Hubby is still out there consulting and has to keep abreast of healthcare issues, but I burned out w/ the last round of healthcare bills (yes, I actually read all of the bills - thousands of pages - b/c of client presentations I needed to make).

That did it for me. I decided - I can't change the system . . . and I don't have a real platform any longer (writing editorials) . . . have my personal website and blogs - light fluffy stuff (need a recipe for Thanksgiving??? LOL).

I am back in Charlotte now - spent nearly 7 months at our mountain house decompressing and making some decisions about the future. I have decided all the doom and gloom can be someone else's concern. Of course, just picked up a real estate client <grin> so will have to do at least some analysis on the housing market, financing, etc. . . .but at least that is down and dirty research . . . nothing I can "do" about the situation the housing market is in so no need to feel compelled to editorialize. That is a burden lifted off my shoulders.

Now, I am just trying to figure out how to fit the puzzle pieces together for hubby and my future. As seems to be the case w/ most folks - it is all dependent on streams of revenue. That has had me stressed out for several years . . . but lately, I have come to see things differently. I will have to say - reading all the posts on this forum has helped me immensely w/ sorting out what is and isn't important and how hubby and I really want to spend retirement. So many wonderful suggestions here . . . so much insight and valuable suggestions.

I am looking towards making changes in how I spend my time and taking a leap of faith w/ career changes. And the disorder around the globe has not added to my sense of serenity . . . so I have turned the TV off. I cancelled my UVerse subscription and this week, attached OTA attennae to the TVs . . . and decided to read more, paint more, and screw CNN, lol.

I feel better already.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 AM

8,623 posts, read 9,694,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I know that as a good citizen I should be out there making a difference by advocacy, etc. Truth is, I spent a good deal of my younger years doing social good and now I feel like the world will spin on after I'm gone so I should just ignore the news (me, a former journalist ), kick back, soak up the sun, and vej out. Then I start to feel guilty having this attitude. Anyone else tired of worldly concerns at our age and just want to ignore it all and pretend everything's ok (which it isn't for a huge number of people out there)???
Yes. When I was younger I honestly thought I could "help" and was quite optomistic about life if general. The older I get the more pessimistic I have become about our government and politicians, in general. Knowing that there's nothing *I* can do about it is disheartening. I DO still vote though and always will. Even if my candidate(s) lose I still have the right to complain about it. lol

Don't feel guilty about your attitude. There are a lot of us out here who feel the same way. I think we are all "tired".

Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 AM

8,623 posts, read 9,694,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I used to keep up with politics and news events...back in the old days when I actually had hope that everyday people could make a difference. I still can get caught up in various topics at times. I find myself checking MSNBC to hear what the left is thinking...then I check out Fox to hear what's coming out of the far right...then I check out CNN to hear something closer to the middle. From all these sources, it's all dribble...whining...and unproductive finger pointing. So...I have to give myself "down time" and ignore it all for a while.

Whenever my wife and I take the camper away for a week or so, we don't take television or internet with us. It's amazing how GREAT we feel after being out of the loop for a few days. In my opinion, a week without "news" ...or that garbage that gets passed along as if it's "news," ...is a very healthy experience.
I have stopped watching those channels so much too. I much prefer HGTV these days. lol

Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,150,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I burned out w/ the last round of healthcare bills (yes, I actually read all of the bills - thousands of pages - b/c of client presentations I needed to make).
Where can I read them? It's all still an unknown to most of us.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,506,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Where can I read them? It's all still an unknown to most of us.
Worst of all, it's still an unknown to most of the members of Congress who never read it yet voted for it anyway! But of course, they exempted themselves.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Worst of all, it's still an unknown to most of the members of Congress who never read it yet voted for it anyway! But of course, they exempted themselves.
Congress members have the IQ of a salamander, so their reading skills may be lacking anyway. They always bluff their way through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement