U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,757,113 times

Advertisements

As I said earlier in this chat:

While the average day to day political/economic situations do not overall/personally affect me, I do not bury my head in the sand and believe they have gone away. To do so is naive at best.

Stay informed people. It allows you to make better decisions/cast intelligent votes even if we disagree as to the decision/vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 12:12 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,336,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Perhaps there's something worth repeating here:

"God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other."
I change things. Like the channel. I dont watch any of those news shows. One network, Fox maybe i'm not sure. Has like 4 hours , one show after the other, with same issues but different people talking. Turn the channel to another news show, same news, and its ALLWAYS BAD. I just dont watch them anymore.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,358,858 times
I was never involved politically, and really didn't care much about it, except for the big issues, like the Vietnam War, for instance. I was too busy raising a family, paying bills, working for a living. Plus I am just not intrisically that interested. More interested in environmental issues, frankly.

But, I find myself more emotionally involved with the world political and economic situation now that I'm retired. I have time to worry about the planet and the children and grandchildren that we will some day leave behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
In this fragile financial environment, I think it more important than ever to keep yourself informed as to what is happening in the World
I absolutely agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

Stay informed people. It allows you to make better decisions/cast intelligent votes even if we disagree as to the decision/vote.
Hear hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I change things. Like the channel. I dont watch any of those news shows. One network, Fox maybe i'm not sure. Has like 4 hours , one show after the other, with same issues but different people talking. Turn the channel to another news show, same news, and its ALLWAYS BAD. I just dont watch them anymore.
I don't consider FOX to be news.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,242,482 times
Well, I decided to get rid of my cable subscriptions. We got antennae for the TVs. We no longer get CNN - just CBS, ABC. When we watch TV, it is usually PBS. We have had Netflix and that has worked out well.

When I was able to free my mind from the things I cannot do anything about . . . I found myself thinking more about local issues I CAN do something about, wh/ has inspired me to set up a not-for-profit to answer a healthcare issue for low income women. Working on articles of incorporation now, along with bylaws . . . and talking to folks about serving on the advisory board.

I can't do anything about the world economy; can't do much about employment here in the USA. But I can do something locally - and no one cares about my age in re: to this venture. Maybe the answer to feeling overwhelmed with wordly concerns is simply to stop thinking about the things we can't do a darn thing about . . . and figuring out what we can do in our own neighborhoods. Taking action feels REALLY GOOD!!!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I decided to get rid of my cable subscriptions. We got antennae for the TVs. We no longer get CNN - just CBS, ABC. When we watch TV, it is usually PBS. We have had Netflix and that has worked out well.

When I was able to free my mind from the things I cannot do anything about . . . I found myself thinking more about local issues I CAN do something about, wh/ has inspired me to set up a not-for-profit to answer a healthcare issue for low income women. Working on articles of incorporation now, along with bylaws . . . and talking to folks about serving on the advisory board.

I can't do anything about the world economy; can't do much about employment here in the USA. But I can do something locally - and no one cares about my age in re: to this venture. Maybe the answer to feeling overwhelmed with wordly concerns is simply to stop thinking about the things we can't do a darn thing about . . . and figuring out what we can do in our own neighborhoods. Taking action feels REALLY GOOD!!!!!
I second that. I refuse to get caught up in the presidential debates/race because to me who gets in doesn't matter, it's more of the same old. But being involved in a local effort to save a small community library is something I can do, after zoning out on world issues. Congratulations on forming a nonprofit--that was (and is) my world.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:55 AM

19,922 posts, read 18,928,736 times
I will always vote and I do keep up on issues. I'm not out protesting in the streets anymore like during the Viet Nam era but I do write to congressmen.

I am sick and tired of the political corruption and the billionaire CEO's but there isn't much I can do about it and it wears me out thinking about it. I have always been environmentally conscious and have to laugh to think that the "kids" think it's something new! But let them think they invented it, at least they are doing something good.

I do still care about things and I hope I never stop caring. I'm just not getting as involved as I used to be.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I second that. I refuse to get caught up in the presidential debates/race because to me who gets in doesn't matter, it's more of the same old. But being involved in a local effort to save a small community library is something I can do, after zoning out on world issues. Congratulations on forming a nonprofit--that was (and is) my world.
Congrats on working to save a library! We have had our closest branch close here in Charlotte, something I was heartbroken to see happen and feel was a real loss to citizens in this part of the city. But it wasn't the only branch to close - so the whole library system - is at risk here. It impacts folks like me (genealogy research) but it also impacts at-risk children who use the libraries as safe-haven after school.

I have worked with not-for-profits (healthcare entities) since the late 80s, offering my services at reduced rates b/c I felt it was a way I could serve as part of a mission. I always felt when I got older (and that's now, it seems, lol) I would establish a not-for-profit and mentor someone else to take it into the future.

Can't do crap about the national debt. I can help women get low/no cost healthcare screenings.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,336,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I was never involved politically, and really didn't care much about it, except for the big issues, like the Vietnam War, for instance. I was too busy raising a family, paying bills, working for a living. Plus I am just not intrisically that interested. More interested in environmental issues, frankly.

But, I find myself more emotionally involved with the world political and economic situation now that I'm retired. I have time to worry about the planet and the children and grandchildren that we will some day leave behind.

I absolutely agree with this.

Hear hear!

I don't consider FOX to be news.
Its not just FOX. They all talk about the same issues over and over again, and the politics stuff, all the same junk, no matter what channel.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,599,960 times
I have lived long enough to realize that the crisis today will vanish in the news like it never happened and one would think the world was really ending.
Someday it may just end, but I think I will volunteer some time at the pound.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I have lived long enough to realize that the crisis today will vanish in the news like it never happened and one would think the world was really ending.
Someday it may just end, but I think I will volunteer some time at the pound.
Sounds like a plan to me! And I bet the animals would love it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement