U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-07-2011, 05:44 PM

10,695 posts, read 6,460,181 times
Default Retirees Tired of Worldly Concerns

I know that as a good citizen I should be out there making a difference by advocacy, etc. Truth is, I spent a good deal of my younger years doing social good and now I feel like the world will spin on after I'm gone so I should just ignore the news (me, a former journalist ), kick back, soak up the sun, and vej out. Then I start to feel guilty having this attitude. Anyone else tired of worldly concerns at our age and just want to ignore it all and pretend everything's ok (which it isn't for a huge number of people out there)???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM

2,100 posts, read 1,381,287 times
yep

also when you have seen it before you know it when you see it again. got through it before, will get through it this time too

Unread 11-07-2011, 05:58 PM

10,695 posts, read 6,460,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
yep

also when you have seen it before you know it when you see it again. got through it before, will get through it this time too

What is "it"?

Unread 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,102,167 times
Yes, I do and one of my main things to IGNORE is politics.

Unread 11-07-2011, 06:45 PM

17,735 posts, read 13,392,046 times
My wife and I each spent about 20 years working in politics and legislation for our former state - me for the administrations (Governors and their offices), she for various commissions and organizations. It's what ultimately brought us together 20 years ago. It was fun while it lasted but ultimately was not sustainable for either of us. We became sickened and jaded by the entire process and the people who attended it - those elected and those appointed. Now we just sit back and shake our heads about what happens where we are and nationally. We've thought about advocacy and grass-roots organizing (she's better at those than I am. I'm no slouch but better as a policy wonk) and then banish the thought and just enjoy what we have. It makes our lives infinitely more pleasant and uncluttered.

Unread 11-07-2011, 07:00 PM

735 posts, read 516,938 times
I just turned off MSNBC. I'm liberal, but I was just getting tired of it. Got to be good to ourselves, especially when we can't save the world even by worrying about it 24/7.

Unread 11-07-2011, 07:52 PM
mlb

1,145 posts, read 808,976 times
I think it's a healthy thing - to NOT be connected 24/7 - to television, the internet, the news, the crises of the world.

I just got a new laptop (old one bit the dust)....I had been without one for a number of months. I was sleeping better, less agitated, less stressed. What's not to like, eh?

Perhaps its a function of aging.... but I am so much happier NOT knowing what's going on - NOT keeping up, not worrying about every little thing.... because much of it IS out of my control .

Unread 11-07-2011, 08:08 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,375,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I know that as a good citizen I should be out there making a difference by advocacy, etc. Truth is, I spent a good deal of my younger years doing social good and now I feel like the world will spin on after I'm gone so I should just ignore the news (me, a former journalist ), kick back, soak up the sun, and vej out. Then I start to feel guilty having this attitude. Anyone else tired of worldly concerns at our age and just want to ignore it all and pretend everything's ok (which it isn't for a huge number of people out there)???
Yes. I feel the same way. I cancelled my paper and don't listen to the news. Just check online sources once-in-a-while. I can't handle the constant negativity . . .I used to be very involved . . .but I feel I can help in other ways (prayer and taking care of myself . . .I believe that as each of us heal we heal the Earth . . .woo-woo for many, but it works for me).

Unread 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM

26,365 posts, read 49,314,950 times
I don't vote but I do sort of pay attention to politics only because knowing what happens politically helps me make decisions (college planning, taxes, real estate, demographics, retirement and estate planning, employment)

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:36 PM

4,191 posts, read 975,018 times
Yes, I've been paying careful attention to politics for many years and have gotten just plain tired of it. Far too many politicians in both parties just in it for themselves without considering the greater good of all citizens, regardless of race. IMHO, its better to focus and try to make the lives of people you know, friends and neighbors, better. At least you can see you have made their lives a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement