U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,464,179 times

Advertisements

Joliefille...

Helpful post..thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
I wish there was a word for unmarried retired ladies
this sounds nice "retired single lady" that pretty well covers it!

If you want to stay in your area, you will be best asking on the local forum and mining the local senior network for attractive solutions.

I feel you can find 'space' and neighbors, especially in your region. (not as independent seeking as the 'left-coast'.

I would CAREFULLY write a criteria and have a couple INTELLIGENT and service minded realtors provide you with weekly update emails of new listings within your criteria.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 AM

3,868 posts, read 5,932,642 times
I am single and retired and I iive in a duplex which is part of an association so all maintenance and yardwork is taken care of. I have a basement and garage, a yard, patio and screened in porch. The only bad thing is my place is two story with bedrooms upstairs. I would try to find a ranch style place or one with a first floor bedroom...these are hard to find.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
I'd focus on finding a way that will help you keep up with the house you already own.

Some way to remain in the neighborhood where you already live...
and among the people and places you are already familiar with...
rather than try to sell a home in the middle of the worst RE market in decades.

Rent a room to someone nice to also keep you company...
who will have the time for and ideally welcome the responsibility of some yard work...
or just hire it all done if you must using that extra cash.

Grad Students and Junior Faculty at NCSU or maybe a relocating someone...
If you're lucky that might last a few years before they move on and you do it all again.
(or maybe the RE market stabilizes or your own desires take you in some other direction)

hth

Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,836,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Thanks for that info Rothbear.
I don't know alot about those villas but will check them out.
I might be a square peg in a round hole in one of those. We have lived in the county where we have no restrictions or homeowners rules.

I think what I am weighing out is the social & community that would be great in a place like that but giving up the privacy that a yard can give. Where I am now I can sit in my hottub and watch the stars & moon and watch deer come through the back of our property. We have a hawk that watches over the woods & an owl I love to hear at night.

My husband & I were going to retire on our 40 acres we had bought in Virginia in the middle of nowhere and build a cabin by the pond. Living alone I need neighbors but want space too.
Am I making any sense?

We had the same situation, lived in a rural area on a larger area of land with no restrictions, etc., so I know where you are coming from. I agree it's not for everyone and you need to do what is best for you. We have actually found the rules to not be that restrictive to what we wanted to do. It's nice to be able to just go out the door and be able to get together with a bunch of great neighbors. And in fact, the neighbor that I can see from my back porch actually has a hot tub in her backyard. The only rule is that it has to have some kind of screening (trees or fence) around it. Of course she is in a single family home and not a villa, but I don't really know all the rules for the villas as well as the single family homes.

Just something for you to check out. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,059,830 times
Quote:
No thanks LOL
I have a great realtionship with them but don't care to live with them.
How come? My mother lives with me and she was born retired lol

Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,535,307 times
OP sorry for your loss. if it is recent, suggest you stay where you are for one year before you make any decisions. Clean out the house, get rid of and pass on your stuff, but give yourself time before you make a major decision.

If it has been awhile, then you might want to rent IF you can stand the thought.

I am leaning toward rent over buying.

I moved into a ranch type house with a beautiful yard, etc and it works well for me with big dogs and all. But the yard, lawn chemical service, shrubs, trees, and pool are killing me and I have succumbed to hiring it all out.

just a thought

good luck

Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
How come? My mother lives with me and she was born retired lol
Surely you must know that living with your kids isn't right for everyone at every stage..

Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,059,830 times
Quote:
Surely you must know that living with your kids isn't right for everyone at every stage..
Not true in the Asian culture. When parent(s) get old and/or retire. Kids are suppose to take care of them. There are kids who take of the American parents also. It comes down to 'Family Values'.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Not true in the Asian culture. When parent(s) get old and/or retire. Kids are suppose to take care of them. There are kids who take of the American parents also. It comes down to 'Family Values'.
oh puuulease !!! Family Values

Do I lack them by not wanting to live with them..??

Last edited by kelly237; 11-08-2011 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or