Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times

Advertisements

I am widowed but , Widow seems like such an aweful word.
I wish there was a word for unmarried retired ladies because
it just doesn't feel right to describe ourself by death,divorce ect.

Anywho...what I would love to hear is your living situation and what you like or don't like about it. I need to downsize this spring from a large house & property and I cannot decide if I want a small house & yard or a townhouse.

I want community where I chat with neighbors when I walk the dog.
I want a dog when I get settled but had a large dog in my 20's in a townhouse and it worked out great. I enjoy planting a few tomatoes & flowers but its not a huge passion. I love the outdoors, fishing, camping, ect but could have more time to travel and do these things if I had less yardwork.

Where I am now is so overwhelming that its hard to know what it would be like in a well maintained house with a small yard.

Another plus for the townhome would be a pool for the grandkids but some neighborhoods have that also.

I am a few years from retirement but want to move only one more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

Anywho...what I would love to hear is your living situation and what you like or don't like about it. I need to downsize this spring from a large house & property and I cannot decide if I want a small house & yard or a townhouse.

I want a dog when I get settled but had a large dog in my 20's in a townhouse and it worked out great. I enjoy planting a few tomatoes & flowers but its not a huge passion. I love the outdoors, fishing, camping, ect but could have more time to travel and do these things if I had less yardwork.

Where I am now is so overwhelming that its hard to know what it would be like in a well maintained house with a small yard.

Another plus for the townhome would be a pool for the grandkids but some neighborhoods have that also.

"Townhomes" in the Northeast anyway are 2 or 3 floors of rooms, not all on one level. "Condo" can be several floors or all on one. That is something major to consider, along with the townhouse/condo monthly fees in addition to property taxes, if you are planning on staying there for the rest of your life. What part of the country?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM

I am in Raleigh , NC. Plan to stay here I think .
Maybe I should rent a townhouse for awhile and see if it
bothers me not to have a yard. You take things like a yard for granted
and its hard to know if you would miss it.

I would really like to have a downstairs master and there are some townhomes with a downstairs master but not many.

One other thing I really love is my hottub.

Between wanting a hottub with a bit of privacy , downstairs master, space for a dog maybe a small ranch style home with a small yard would work best for me.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Do you have children?

Quote:

Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
Have you ever thought about one of the "over 55" communities? I know that Del Webb has one in your area and they have both small houses (all on one floor) as well as what they call "villas", which are actually 2 or 3 units connected together. The difference between them is that with a small house you are responsible for any repairs/maintenance to the outside as well as inside the actual house, where in the villas you are only responsible for the inside and your own belongings. The HOA covers the outside maintenance as well as insuring the building itself (HOA fees are a bit higher per month to cover these expenses). Also, your HOA fees cover most if not all the yardwork. It all depends on whether you plant any of your own landscaping, which they will not trim. They mow, fertilize, prune builder planted landscaping (unless you choose for them not to prune them}. If you do any planting on your own, they won't prune that, but do replenish the pine needles around everything. You can do some things to the outside of a villa, but not as much as you can to one of the single family homes.

You might want to look into renting there as well. There are usually a bunch of owners who rent their homes out until time for them to retire. You could try renting a villa for awhile and see how that works out for you. Here is a link to the info on that community:

Carolina Preserve at Amberly | Active Adult Community Cary NC | Del Webb homes

We live in the Del Webb community near Charlotte and really enjoy it. Lots of things to do, clubs to join, or else nothing at all. If this community isn't a fit for you, I'm sure there are other of the same types of communities in the area.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM

My kids are 20 & above..all out of the nest..

Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Thanks for that info Rothbear.
I don't know alot about those villas but will check them out.
I might be a square peg in a round hole in one of those. We have lived in the county where we have no restrictions or homeowners rules.

I think what I am weighing out is the social & community that would be great in a place like that but giving up the privacy that a yard can give. Where I am now I can sit in my hottub and watch the stars & moon and watch deer come through the back of our property. We have a hawk that watches over the woods & an owl I love to hear at night.

My husband & I were going to retire on our 40 acres we had bought in Virginia in the middle of nowhere and build a cabin by the pond. Living alone I need neighbors but want space too.
Am I making any sense?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
My kids are 20 & above..all out of the nest..
Will anyone them take you to live with them?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
We downsized from 4b/3ba, 3car garage and pool/spa to a 2b/2ba, 1 car condo.

no exterior maintance
Everythings new like carpets, appliances
Community pool/spa, BBQ area
Close enough to walk to the beach
Overlooks golf course
Lots of security & gated

Dislikes: Neighbors above us, we can hear them walking
We're so close to the community pool that we can't
keep our windows open as the pump is so loud
Lack of storage w/ 1 car garage
Monthly HOA fees that keep rising. Now in excess of $700 per mo
Limited guest parking

We are thinking about buying a single family home again next year, but one without a pool. Too much maintence and cost.

I hate packing.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Will anyone them take you to live with them?
No thanks LOL
I have a great realtionship with them but don't care to live with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement