U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,052,348 times

Advertisements

Are home value cheaper near the cemetery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:08 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,843,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Is your main concern the cost of the marker or the maintenance of the plots?
I'm dealing with a secretive sibling. They got a letter from the cemetery about the problems they were having with cutting the grass. So, I assumed my sibling had noticed the weeds around our parent's marker and called them.
They own two here in town, and the 2nd one is fairly new.
With ground level markers they require, maintenance should not be an issue.

As far as price, my Father bought these 4 plots for less than $300 each.
I priced cremation and it was $1188.
I went to the cemetery to inquire about a "scenario" where the deceased is cremated and there would not be a burial, and may or may not be a marker. Then the "salesman" pulled out the brochure on markers. The cheapest one was $1899. He urged me to buy now because the prices would be going up.
I just found this to seem to be high, when the plot and cremation together was only $1500 and my Father's prepaid fault was around $1000.
Then when I was told I could not buy a "bronze on granite" marker from anyone else, and place it on my plot, I had to buy their "bronze on granite" markers, I rather found this to be curious.
So, I called the funeral home that handled my Father's death and they explained that the cemetery is privately owned and they have their own requirements as to markers. The reason this was "news to me
($1900 marker and you buy it from them or you go home or sell your plot to someone else) is because my Father was in the military and we never knew the cost of the marker, we only knew it was paid for by the government. Now we know. For the 3 remaining plots, we can figure $2000 each, for just the markers.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:13 PM

My Father's funeral, from a funeral home in a town about 5 miles futher, plus the funeral home service, a service at the funeral home the day of burial, and the limousines, and the burial and casket and all of that, was under $9000. So, when the guy says $1900 just for a marker that was close to 25% of the whole thing. What was forgotten was my Father had already paid for the vault and the government paid for the marker. So, it would have been $12,000 or more.

No, cost was not an issue. Just finding out that the only markers you can use are theirs and the lowest price one is $1900 does not give us an option on markers. We have two choices: buy their markers or buy their markers.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
My Father's funeral, from a funeral home in a town about 5 miles futher, plus the funeral home service, a service at the funeral home the day of burial, and the limousines, and the burial and casket and all of that, was under $9000. ... So, it would have been $12,000 or more.

... We have two choices: buy their markers or buy their markers.
Gotta Think outside of the "BOX"

I would choose option # 3... Markerless and a direct cremation (<$1000) from a local 'Funeral Cooperative'. People's Memorial

My dad was a vet (I cared for him for 30+ yrs)

He wanted to be buried 2000 miles away not cremated. The 'receiving' funeral home wanted $2000 to fetch him from the airport and drive 30 miles to cemetery... (tho it would have been only $300 freight rate to 'air-ship' Dad 2000 miles). State law (Funeral home lobby) would not allow ME to fetch him from Airport. AND they required state funeral homes to use WILBURT CEMENT VAULTS for burial, irregardless of cemetery requirements...~ $1000 + $1000 delivery / crane rental (Remind me to never die in Nebraska !!!)

So... (@ private cemetery...)..

Dad and I took a final 'road trip' (Interstate corpse 'Transit' permits are FREE )

I Used a Local 'alternative undertaker' i.e. Coop = $780 for embalming / casket / body pickup and prep.
I picked dad up and placed him in a utility trailer, and HIT the Road (late at night).
Stopped in Afton, WY and got 'last year's close-out' ABS (plastic) LIFETIME vault ($280)...Polyguard Vaults Home

Hit the road again, visiting dad's favorite places enroute... (Yellowstone, Tetons, Big Horns, Devil's tower, Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Wall Drug, Corn Palace)
Got to the cemetery, borrowed a backhoe, planted dad (military style ) flag ceremony, TAPS on HIS bugle... Full Service deal.

Final verdict... we had a great time!!!, (after many yrs of 'not-so-great')

Very cheap ~ $1200 'dead-to-buried' (4,000 miles @ 50 mpg on 'free' fryer grease on one of my 'Beaters'). Stayed at private guest homes $10 / night (who were all very understanding of hosting 'dad' as well; for free!... (he stayed outside where it was plenty cool) ) Of course we 'Camped' in WY (FREE @ most city parks)

Had an 'empty' trailer that needed to be filled with antique and relic treasures from the family pioneer homestead and brought to my homestead (wagon wheels, farm implements (only to be stolen and sold for scrap by the local WA meth heads... )

Life goes on... do what you gotta do, and move on to the NEXT hurdle (There seem to be plenty)...

Handling the death / services / burial was by far the ez'est part of being a 'caregiver' and decision maker for my dad (since I was age 18 when I 'Inherited him' and many legal issues / bills / businesses / bankruptcy...) MANY yrs, were not so pretty... I'm glad he had a NICE final voyage. It brought lots of "HEALING".

Cheap is not always a bad thing, BUT... If you gotta have a marker. Then find a new spot. There is a local ranch offering 'natural' Burials ! http://www.naturalburialground.com/ (bring your own backhoe, or I will lend you one of mine). If that is too spendy, you can probably find a small parcel of land and do a direct burial. (several states allow that). I certainly am not gonna be tying up my 'cash flowing real estate' with MY REMAINS!! (I doubt there will be much left of me when the buzzards (local Tax Assessors) are done)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-13-2011 at 01:54 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
STEALTHRABBIT: I swear -that is material for a movie, lol. I can just see all the adventures along the way. God bless ya!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 AM

[quote=StealthRabbit;21693019]Gotta Think outside of the "BOX"

I would choose option # 3... Markerless and a direct cremation (<$1000) from a local 'Funeral Cooperative'.

quote]

No burial and no marker would really disappoint the salesman at the cemetery.
He was so sympathetic (or should it be pathetic) in encouranging me to get the marker paid for now-then-that day, before prices go up.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
... encouranging me to get the marker paid for now-then-that day, before prices go up.
Of course !!! Money for them NOW is far more valuable. You should encourage them to offer 'Holiday Gift Cards'

They will book the dollars, show high profitability (temporarily) and sell the joint to an unsuspecting investor. Or... they will take your $$ and escape to Mexico.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:57 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,890,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
[b][color="DarkRed"]..Got to the cemetery, borrowed a backhoe, planted dad (military style ) flag ceremony, TAPS on HIS bugle... Full Service deal....

"borrowed a backhoe"? LOL

I know this post is tongue in cheek and all....but it brought back memories. In my college days, I dug graves in a very large, crowded cemetary. The graves were literally inches apart...it took us longer to do our measurements than it took to dig the graves. A VERY gingerly touch was required on the hoe controls and a skilled spotter so as not to not damage the vaults that could be on both sides and both ends of the new grave. If there was the slightest doubt, we would abandon the backhoe and grab shovels until we were SURE we were on the mark.

And no grave marker didn't mean there wasn't an adjacent grave...many, many graves are never marked.

Good Lord, if some DIYer ever drove a backhoe onto our property...we'd have knocked him off the thing before he could get the outriggers down! LOL

There's whole lot more to gravediggin' than driving out in a field and diggin' a hole!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:06 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,732,445 times
I think their main concern is they do not like being told what they must do.

I also say that as a private business, the cemetary can dictate whatever they want to as long as it is made clear from the get go.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:56 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,479,224 times
I kind of look at expensive burials like this. Do the dad care? When I'm gone will I care if I have a marker or not? What if i'm lost at sea or fall into a deep cave somewhere I'm still dead but what is the over all burial cost? Spending all that money is for the living. Who is actually remembered past the grand kids if they have them? I say go cheap and have a party in remembrance. No one leaves sober.. take cabs or find a spot to sleep it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement