Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times

Advertisements

The only area that I know is where I live. So, I went to the website of the State of Colorado http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251596395258 which covers these programs. The homes that are now on the market, that have been rehabilitated under this program, are listed.

I get the the disturbing impression that these homes are pumped up in value and the real money goes to the developers and municipalities. I read some of the program rules and the developers get money to rehabilitate these homes and they can also purchase them and resale them. A municipality will hire a developer and then can resell it.

All the homes that I have looked appear to me to be above the selling price of homes in these areas at this time. I am taking a cursory look and I know the neighborhoods and the area, having lived here for 33 years. So, what happens, you may get up to 30,000 or so to purchase .and perhaps 15,000 to further rehabilitated but the price for these homes in thes neighborhoods have just too high, in the neighborhood of 30K-60K. That is my opinion.

I give you thes listings:

from my city Properties in Arvada - Community Development - Jefferson County, CO

and the next city

Properties in Wheat Ridge - Community Development - Jefferson County, CO

These prices are just not correct pricing, even for the high cost of housing in Colorado. These neighborhoods are not the best and the homes around do not reflect some of the values.

I just do not know what to think. Something just does not seem right. You got to remember that these homes were seized and/or acquired well below the market price and did need rehabilitation but selling at these prices?? There is some big profits made somewhere. Now I realize that there are new and better amenities than perhaps the surrounding homes. but you cannot build and create value much above the nieghbhorhood norm. If you are going to live there and have these grant forgiven, over time, then maybe there is no problem. You still have to pay the taxes at the higher inflated assessment. To keep the tax base, the municipalities want to rehab and they also set the the assessment. It does helps to keep the value of the surrounding homes. So, really I just thinking out loud, I just do not know enough.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-12-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
So you take the $45,000.00 and one of the stipulations is you must live in it for 15 years or pay it back if you don't. So the hurricane comes before the 15 year period and wipes you out, then what, you pay back the $45,000.00 .

Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
So you take the $45,000.00 and one of the stipulations is you must live in it for 15 years or pay it back if you don't. So the hurricane comes before the 15 year period and wipes you out, then what, you pay back the $45,000.00 .
I wonder the same thing. Also, for retirees, what happens if you happen to die before the 15 years?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Well if you have a mtg you have to have HOI on your home so if a hurricane comes you will be insured. It is close to the ocean so you will $$ for HOI too.

You are not too far from St. Augustine only about 25 miles but Palm Coast City is the largest city in the county with over 75K population. I know it isn't huge but it not isolated by any means.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Livecontent, my kids were born at the Lutheran Wheat Ridge hospital and I lived in Denver for several years. I agree with you that the prices in the Wheat Ridge link seem to be way inflated.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Livecontent, my kids were born at the Lutheran Wheat Ridge hospital and I lived in Denver for several years. I agree with you that the prices in the Wheat Ridge link seem to be way inflated.
Thanks for your response. Much of all that goes on today is to move wealth to the banking and financial industry.

The city/county acquires a property under foreclosure. They get money from the federal government to rehabilitate. These municipalities or developer sell the home to a low or moderate income buyer. These buyers will pay a higher price because they are not very knowlegeable. In addition, they need and want the grants, again more money from the government, so they are willing to buy.

They municipalities set a higher assessment, because they are in control and that it was sold at a higher price. It gets them more taxes and retains the neighborhood values. All fine and good at this level.

Next the buyer gets a loan from the financial industry for a larger price then what it is really worth and the loan is guaranteed by the feds. The banks receive more interest from a higher mortgage, from an inflated assessment. In addition, if there a default then the government pays the bank. The banks makes more with no risk and the taxpayers are the ones really gving the money being that is channeled to the bankers.

An example of the Greed of Wallstreet and Capitalism backed by the Federal Government using your money to fund the rich lifestyles of the tycoons of Wallstreet. The bankers know no Schand, as it is part of their culture because to rob the poor for the benefit of the rich, is a badge of honor.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-13-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post

You are not too far from St. Augustine only about 25 miles but Palm Coast City is the largest city in the county with over 75K population. I know it isn't huge but it not isolated by any means.
Very true. And in particular, retirees would have even less of a worry about feeling isolated (I think) since they don't need an area with a lot of employment.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
I dunno. I have about as much trust in a place that will pay you to live there as I do in any town or city you have to pay to either get into, get out of, or both due to toll roads and bridges.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Thanks for your response. Much of all that goes on today is to move wealth to the banking and financial industry.

The city/county acquires a property under foreclosure. They get money from the federal government to rehabilitate. These municipalities or developer sell the home to a low or moderate income buyer. These buyers will pay a higher price because they are not very knowlegeable. In addition, they need and want the grants, again more money from the government, so they are willing to buy.

They municipalities set a higher assessment, because they are in control and that it was sold at a higher price. It gets them more taxes and retains the neighborhood values. All fine and good at this level.

Next the buyer gets a loan from the financial industry for a larger price then what it is really worth and the loan is guaranteed by the feds. The banks receive more interest from a higher mortgage, from an inflated assessment. In addition, if there a default then the government pays the bank. The banks makes more with no risk and the taxpayers are the ones really gving the money being that is channeled to the bankers.

An example of the Greed of Wallstreet and Capitalism backed by the Federal Government using your money to fund the rich lifestyles of the tycoons of Wallstreet. The bankers know no Schand, as it is part of their culture because to rob the poor for the benefit of the rich, is a badge of honor.

Livecontent
Hmmmm, you may be right about that.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM

155 posts, read 349,003 times
Hey, you wanna buy my Palm Coast casa? I'm retired and the place is driving me nuts. I work too. Not stressed financially. However, no where within 50 miles for entertainment. The area is fine for retirees, if you can deal with the boredom. The problem is, not to be unsympathetic, the ares is packed full of unemployed losers. It needs homeowners not renters looking for cheap housing. It is totally ruining the town and holding back development. No good restaurants, no shopping, a few grocery stores, a Target, a Kohls, the ever present Bealls but no real shopping. The closest shopping center is 40 miles away in run down Daytona. Contemporary shopping is 50 miles up 95 to Jacksonville. The PC town center is set up for shopping and entertainment but except for the movies and a midget Red Lobster/Olive Garden, nothing else has located. The $45,000 loan program is an excellent idea, let's get this area up and running to what it's supposed to be. In the mean time, I could be persuaded to sell! Remember, you get a $45,000 loan!

Last edited by season10; 11-19-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement