Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:21 PM

5,325 posts, read 6,011,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird52 View Post
Well, I was talking to someone and mentioned my retirement plan, and I thought I heard them say that everything counts as income. It's possible I heard them wrong. The person I was talking to is not an accountant or any kind of financial expert, so I didn't take it too seriously. Also, it wouldn't make sense to consider a pension as regular income.

However, I would not be too surprised if our government decided to screw us in that way, so I got very worried. I decided to ask at this forum as soon as I got a chance, and got an answer right away. I tried searching in google but could not find the answer, at least not easily.

So I am glad we have this forum.
Perhaps the person was referring to income tax.
Benefits Planner: Taxes and your Social Security benefits

If you:
  • file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your combined income* is
    • between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
    • more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.
*Note: Your adjusted gross income
+ Nontaxable interest
+ ½ of your Social Security benefits
= Your "combined income"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,895,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird52 View Post
It's also nice to know they will pay us back, to some extent anyway, if we earn too much from working and get penalized. So far I just read it fast, but I think that's what it says.
That's right, and that's the little known part of the earnings limitation. The money that is withheld from your benefit from having too much earned income is not lost forever, provided that you live long enough to recoup it. When you reach full retirement age (66 for most of us posting here) they will recalculate your benefit to reflect the amounts withheld earlier. I don't know the nature of that recalculation, however, or how many years it will take to recoup the withheld amounts.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,470,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Perhaps the person was referring to income tax.
Benefits Planner: Taxes and your Social Security benefits

If you:
  • file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your combined income* is
    • between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
    • more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.
*Note: Your adjusted gross income
+ Nontaxable interest
+ ½ of your Social Security benefits
= Your "combined income"
So as not to confuse the OP I think it would be wise to define 'income' when explaining SSA benefits. There is "earned income" from employment...and there is "income" from pensions, annuities, interest and/or dividends. There's a big difference in how the SSA views these two distinctly different 'incomes'.

This should explain 'Earned Income' versus 'Unearned Income' pertaining to what is 'Counted Income' with respect to SS benefits

Last edited by highcotton; 11-10-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 06:06 AM

5,325 posts, read 6,011,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
So as not to confuse the OP I think it would be wise to define 'income' when explaining SSA benefits. There is "earned income" from employment...and there is "income" from pensions, annuities, interest and/or dividends. There's a big difference in how the SSA views these two distinctly different 'incomes'.

This should explain 'Earned Income' versus 'Unearned Income' pertaining to what is 'Counted Income' with respect to SS benefits
Your post was better before you added the link. The link relates to SSI benefits, a means tested (poverty) benefit, not the regular Social Security retirement benefit.

I was simply trying to point out that perhaps her friend/colleague was referring to taxation of social security benefits, which does indeed include all income, (excluding income from Roth IRAs) that might not otherwise be taxed.

Songbird52 is well educated and I'm sure she understands the difference between earned and unearned income.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,331,090 times
Remember you are still ahead by working and you will also get the money back that SS took (but not any increased taxes) because you earned too much. Unfortunately, the rules seem to discourage work. Wonder why?
By the way I think the money is taken from you the year after you earn it so if you do work you might want to make sure when it is deducted and budget for the reduction as you may not be working in that year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement