U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,101 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!!

We are looking throughout the United States on places to retire. We live in Michigan and the winters are HORRRIBLE here!!!!! We want an area where we could play golf year around. However the reason for this new thread we have not come up with any cities. Looking for ideas!!! We thought about Palm Springs Ca. however we find out June through September it is in the 100'S, temperature wise and outside activities are very limited. Then we thought about the Carolinas however the weather in first part of the year January through April is spotty and cannot be sure you can play golf because they get cold weather also. Maybe we should just stay in MIchigan and head somewhere for 3 or 4 months however I would still like to work part time to stay active. So many employees are not up for a Senior to leave for 3 or 4 months then come back to expect a job for the remainder of the year. I really can't blame them either.

SO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD SUGGESTIONS?????

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 05:26 PM

788 posts, read 3,770,561 times
The Hawaiian Islands, possibly parts of Texas (Austin, Dallas, San Antonio), coastal and Northern areas in CA, such as San Luis Obispo, San Diego, Sacramento. Las Vegas (although it sure gets hot), and Florida. That's all I can think of right now... my vote is Hawaii. The Big Island (Hawaii) is relatively affordable, and right now, is the most affordable island of the chains.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 PM

488 posts, read 1,040,828 times
I'll throw my thoughts in here Lary. If you want a year round mild climate, try San Diego, California. It can get a little expensive there but, the weather is pretty nice. If you can hang in Michigan during the summer time most parts of southern Arizona are beautiful in the winter (around 70-75 degrees daytime temps) and quite a few golfing venues. There are a lot of snowbirds there (Yuma, Az population triples in the winter time). Most come from the northwest states but I have seen quite a few Michagan license plates there also. Just some food for thought.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 AM

823 posts, read 3,375,218 times
If you can afford it then So.CA could be the place for you. Myrtle Beach, SC and Flagstaff, AZ are tow golf havens.

Why don't you do a Google search for golfing communities and see what you come up with.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 21,794 times
Don't know your age but if you're 55+ look into senior mobile home parks as an alternative. We live in a really nice vintage MHP (originally owned by Lucille Ball in the 50's) which has a nice mix of older single wides with second bed/bath stick built additions, new double wides and triple wides. It is definately NOT the mobile home park usually envisioned by people. Lots of green, mountain views to die for, reasonable lot rent and cost to buy. For instance, the 10' by 40' (?size) with a second bedroom and bath (small!!), cent air, (needs some updating)(previous owner was 85 and had a stroke) across the the street is up for sale at an asking price of $22,500.00. Lot rent, gas elec., trash, water probably run around $400-450 a month depending on your utility usage. Rent controlled.
The park is Sahara MHP on Camino Real in south Palm Springs, just off 111 (the main drag thru the Coachella Valley). Just across 111 are Biltmore Condos (400K$ on up) and on the other corner is a condo, single family, commercial (coffee shops etc) now being built.
We looked all over the valley when we moved here 3 years ago and this was, by far, the nicest, best kept park we saw.
Golf courses EVERYWHERE & lots of retirees who work.
The desert is HOT-HOT-HOT May, June, July, Aug but fall, winter & spring are glorious.
Do not even consider Desert Hot Springs!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 AM

19,872 posts, read 22,790,353 times
Southeast Arizona is suprisingly mild because of it's altitude (typically about 3,000 - 4,000 feet or so). Unlike Southwest Arizona - which gets into the 100's on a regular basis in the summer, Southeast Arizona typically tops out in the upper 80's and low 90's. Winter highs are usually in the 50's or 60's (depending on exactly where in SE Arizona you are). Check out places like Sierra Vista, Willcox, Benson etc. There are some golf courses about, but obviously they are limited in number since these are smaller towns and cities. Sierra Vista has 40,000 or so while the other nearby towns have a lot less. Still, you may want to consider it. Certainly the climate is much more pleasant than Michigan (I experienced a few Battle Creek winters as a kid). It's also quite a bit greener than folks imagine Southern Arizona to be. Sierra Vista gets about 14 inches of rain a year (mostly as thunderstorms in the summer months) and more grassland than true desert (with wonderful views that seem to go on forever). Lots of mountains nearby too.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 08-29-2007 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-29-2007, 03:07 PM

26 posts, read 297,639 times
try Hilton Head, SC

Old 08-29-2007, 05:51 PM

160 posts, read 568,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
The Hawaiian Islands, possibly parts of Texas (Austin, Dallas, San Antonio), coastal and Northern areas in CA, such as San Luis Obispo, San Diego, Sacramento. Las Vegas (although it sure gets hot), and Florida. That's all I can think of right now... my vote is Hawaii. The Big Island (Hawaii) is relatively affordable, and right now, is the most affordable island of the chains.
I agree - the Hawaiian Islands would be great for outdoor weather all year round. Also, great golf courses on every island. We have lived here for 3 years and have to admit - the weather is great. Yes it rains, but rarely ever thunders (I think just once during our stay here). The summers are hot - but never in the 100's. The only bad thing is the cost of living. Oh yeah - and the time it takes to get back "home" to see family (for me - about 13 hours on average).

If HI is too expensive - try the FL Panhandle (Ft. Waltom Beach, Destin, etc). Yes, there are hurricanes at times, but it is a great place.

Good luck!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 PM

34,691 posts, read 33,700,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lary1047 View Post
Hello everyone!!

We are looking throughout the United States on places to retire. We live in Michigan and the winters are HORRRIBLE here!!!!! We want an area where we could play golf year around. However the reason for this new thread we have not come up with any cities. Looking for ideas!!! We thought about Palm Springs Ca. however we find out June through September it is in the 100'S, temperature wise and outside activities are very limited. Then we thought about the Carolinas however the weather in first part of the year January through April is spotty and cannot be sure you can play golf because they get cold weather also. Maybe we should just stay in MIchigan and head somewhere for 3 or 4 months however I would still like to work part time to stay active. So many employees are not up for a Senior to leave for 3 or 4 months then come back to expect a job for the remainder of the year. I really can't blame them either.

SO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD SUGGESTIONS?????

THANKS
What else do you and your spouse like to do besides golf? You want to be in a place where it's easy to do the things you like and/or you have the variety, quantity and quality of the things you like so you don't get bored.

Are you looking for part-time work just to stay busy or for the extra money? If it's the former, a place with numerous volunteer opportunities might fill the bill. In that case, you might want to move to a place that has a lot of events, in addition to golf courses, because then you can volunteer for the town events without having to permanently commit to an organization. If you don't like it, you're done when the event is over and can move onto the next one that interests you. I think this can also be appealing for the variety and the opportunity to meet people. For example:

1) you're on the committee to plan the 2008 Christmas Parade
2) you coordinate the 2007 annual town marathon/walkathon
3) you work the lighting or pass out programs at the community playhouse
4) you determine the venue for a 4th of July community orchestra/band event and make the arrangements.
5) you chaperone a bus trip for seniors to an out-of-state museum exhibition
6) you build the booths or set them up for the annual town festival
7) you help guest speakers/instructors in a senior learning environment with the presentation equipment in the lecture hall
8) you dress up like a minuteman in a Revolutionary war re-enactment
9) you judge a turtle race for charity
10) you greet visitors from Japan and take them on a bus tour of the town
11) you teach a single semester continued learning class on your work/hobby related subject matter of expertise.

There's a whole bunch more things like that but unlike a typical job where it's the same old, same old every day, you go from one event to the next, doing different things that have a beginning and an end and you pick and choose what you want to be involved with due to interest and/or to accommodate your other activities/travel.

I'm only in my town of 27,500, for 3 months but I'm constantly seeing one-time events in the newspaper where they are looking for volunteers. Before I moved here, a volunteer retiree (an engineer) who did a history talk on a scenic train ride on weekends, told me there were so many things he could volunteer for that he was constantly busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement