U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 22,691 times
Default How long did it take you to recive your first social security retiernment check?

I'm 64 just retierd last month first they told me in two weeks now 16 more days. Does it take a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM

433 posts, read 547,703 times
Your first payment comes the month *after* the month you want your payments to start. For example, if you want to start receiving Social Security in November, you'd get your first payment in December. Of course it will probably take longer if you didn't give them enough notice (three months advance notice is recommended). Then your first payment might be delayed, but would arrive eventually.

Your monthly benefit payment date depends on your birthday. For example, if your birth date is the 1st to the 10th day of the month, you'll get your social security deposit on the second Wednesday. The link below explains more:

Benefit payment dates for Social Security

As a personal example, I applied in August, saying I wanted to begin receiving payments as of November. My birthday falls between the 11th and the 20th, so I'll get my first direct deposit on the third Wednesday -- December 21st.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:20 PM

10,380 posts, read 8,153,793 times
Excellent post, AcaciaRose.

Here's the Social Security calendar:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/calendar2011.pdf

Old 11-18-2011, 09:39 AM

18,896 posts, read 21,220,198 times
Yeah, I did a bit of mumbling the first time I looked at that calendar! Of course I was still screwed up from shingles in my head and numbers were not making sense. That didn't help any.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 AM

18,649 posts, read 15,155,459 times
I was already 62 and signed up three months before my retirement at the end of December. Since I received my last check from my employer on January 1, my first SS check came right on schedule the third Wednesday of February - actually direct deposited a day early. That was in 2009 and every direct deposit has come that way ever since.

My wife retired before her 62nd birthday so her first check came the month after her 62nd birthday. They, too, have been direct deposited a day early ever since.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:57 AM

8,781 posts, read 6,365,339 times
Direct deposit is the only way to go - safe, convenient, secure, prompt, no problem if you're travelling. I understand people who are now applying for Soc. Sec. have no choice other than direct deposit, and everybody else will have to convert to it at some point if they're not already on it. Makes a lot of sense - Soc. Sec. saves the postage and also saves the money replacing lost and stolen checks, and it is better for us recipients as I already said. It's a win-win situation.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,108,566 times
I applied in August when I was 61. I was 62 Nov 9th and my first SS check comes Jan 11, 2012.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 AM

13,513 posts, read 22,031,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Since I received my last check from my employer on January 1, my first SS check came right on schedule the third Wednesday of February - actually direct deposited a day early. That was in 2009 and every direct deposit has come that way ever since.

My wife retired before her 62nd birthday so her first check came the month after her 62nd birthday. They, too, have been direct deposited a day early ever since.
That is your bank doing that not SS. I have had my check deposited in several banks and it was always the day it was suppose to be deposited. Some banks do 'pull' the tape and run it a day early but not all.

WoodForrest Bank in Walmart always pulls all direct deposit tapes a day early

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 11-21-2011, 02:32 PM

18,649 posts, read 15,155,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
That is your bank doing that not SS. I have had my check deposited in several banks and it was always the day it was suppose to be deposited. Some banks do 'pull' the tape and run it a day early but not all.

WoodForrest Bank in Walmart always pulls all direct deposit tapes a day early
Yep! One reason I have direct deposit and one thing I love about our bank. Our pension checks also "hit" a day early as well. If nothing else, you can avoid the rush of all the old codgers at the grocery store! When we worked our credit union also posted a day ahead. No end-of-the-month rush for us.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 12,724 times
I turned 62 May 3rd this year-I signed up for my Soc Sec in Feb 2013-and recieved my 1st check in July-2 months after my 62nd Birthday-My cousin turned 62 Oct 5th recieved his 1st check in Nov - 1 month after he turned 62-So why was I penalized another moth and he wasnt? I know a few other folks who got theirs after only 1 month What should i do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement