U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,847,719 times

Advertisements

What has changed for me in the year or so since I retired:

• I am no longer a "morning person." I used to get up at 5:30-7:00 for different jobs. My prime working time was 10:30 a.m. Now I wake up around 8 or 9 and can't really function well until after 11! This annoys me and I hope it changes.
  • I am much more relaxed. A lot of my stress has dissipated.
  • I spend much more time in my garden. I am sure my neighbors appreciate it as it looks great!
  • I am not as accommodating as I once was with my time - If I don't feel like doing something, I don't do it - that used to not be the case.
  • I am more satisfied with simple things (never was very materialistic).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,872,938 times
I could say the same, generally.

I have a tendency to stay up later and watch shows that I couldn't when I had to be up for work.

I do more of the shopping since Mrs. Tek is still working (Until Jan 1 2012). She appreciates not having to do it in her off time. My favorite so far was shopping for bras at Penney's. I had the model no. and size and a couple of great ladies helping me. I think they were enjoying the experience, in a weird way.

I get to game more. Both playing poker and video.

I'm the one that's here when deliveries come, installs get done, etc. It used to depend on who was the busiest or who had the least important appointments.

Fixing things, cleaning, etc are done in a more timely manner.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:13 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am no longer a "morning person." I used to get up at 5:30-7:00 for different jobs. My prime working time was 10:30 a.m. Now I wake up around 8 or 9 and can't really function well until after 11! This annoys me and I hope it changes.
Why do you hope it changes? Maybe your body is just doing what it needs to do after so many years of your telling it what it has to do. (No disrespect intended at all)

Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,847,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Why do you hope it changes? Maybe your body is just doing what it needs to do after so many years of your telling it what it has to do. (No disrespect intended at all)
Hi - I hear ya - it's just that I have a lot of things I want to do and it annoys me that it takes me so long to get going in the morning. I hope it changes cuz maybe I am still destressing or something . . .and I have a hope that perhaps I will get done with that and be healthier and able to be raring to go in the morning.

I love mornings, also, so I feel like I am missing out on the time of day I love best.

http://www.hayhouseradio.com/show_de...dule_id=67700#

Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
For all of my working life, except when working 1st or 3rd watch in law enforcement, I awoke between 5:00 and 5:30 ready and raring to go. My wife is not a morning person and my cheerfulness really annoyed her until she got used to it.

Now, at the end of my 3rd year of retirement, I still get up early, have several cups of coffee, set up a fresh pot for my wife when she wakes up and am ready to start my day. In that respect, nothing has changed.

What has changed is that I do what I want on my own schedule, or not. I may decide to do nothing or I may decide to do a lot of things. Whatever the day holds there is no pressure, no stress and very few demands. I go to bed at night by 9:00-9:30 most nights, very much at ease and at peace with myself and no scenarios for the coming day running through my mind.

I much prefer things this way.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,728,968 times
I drink more, but enjoy it more.

I play more, but worse golf.

I do not allow grief nor aggravation in my life, especially those that carry/bring such no matter who they are.

I need less sleep, but I tire quicker. That could be the drinking more..LOL

Old 11-23-2011, 05:41 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
it's just that I have a lot of things I want to do and it annoys me that it takes me so long to get going in the morning.

As long as I get up before I go to the bathroom, I'm happy.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:14 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,872,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
As long as I get up before I go to the bathroom, I'm happy.
Reps! Reps, I say!!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,779,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Reps! Reps, I say!!
Rep done here, texasfirewheel's comment is as quotable and wise as I've ever read.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 PM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times
I have become a reader, mostly mysteries and its mostly at night before bed. I am also a crossword puzzle enthusiast, which I hope will keep my brain up to date. I enjoy evenings more now, cause I don't have to think about getting up for work and what work entails. Alot of the enjoyment is doing whatever I feel like, whenever. I also love the morning shows on TV, until they come to the entertainment segment, and then I put on CNN. Still am afraid I will miss something important in the world. And I actually like to clean the house ! I think its fun and it makes me feel good. I, too, sleep in until 7:30 or 8 every day. Who cares????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or