Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,363,195 times

Advertisements

I think SD needed the 16 y/o to help w/the boys and the navigating on the cross-country trek. GD has an aunt (older sister of her mother) who 'looks out for her' in CA. Assume, that's who she lives with.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not meaning to overstep my bounds here, just want to say that the thought has occurred to me (earlier on, even) that it may be easier for you and DW to just keep the kids and encourage their mother go off on her own until she gets settled someplace. Even if it came down to keeping the little guys over the course of a year or more, dealing with just them has got to be a LOT easier. Now I know that SD has no money of her own, but wondering how you could get her out of the house. Her dramas must be hurting the kids. Could you get "aid to dependent children" for them if their mother is somewhere else on her own?
I really dislike strings of responses as a general rule but here goes.

Yes, it might be easier on them if we kept the boys but SD would never give up that part of her "identity" as uber mom. She does have unemployment payments at the CA level which, for some, would almost be a decent living here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
My thoughts, exactly, but I didn't want to be too pessimistic so early in the game. The straw that breaks the camel's back will be when SD finds herself another loser boyfriend. The woman needs constant validation and she is only 36. It won't be long. My bet is in the next few months. At that point, grandma and grandpa will be babysitters, chaffeurs, homework helpers, etc., all the while being loved and hated, and that will be 'the end' of this living arrangement.
NOT! When she finds work and for a time we'll be willing to provide daycare for the boys after school until she gets off work - give them a snack, help with homework, etc. But babysit, never! Not gonna watch the boys while she has a social life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Maybe someone else in the family can help/take in the kids' mother, like her biological father (?) while the kids stay where they are?
My wife left the children's sperm donor when their daughters were 18 months and four years old. He was a no-work alchoholic and druggie (she admits her man-picker was hopelessly flawed) so she divorced him. He never supported the girls and also never got over losing his/my wife and always wanted her back. Years later, when he found out that she'd remarried 18 years after their divorce he OD'd and that was the end of him.

My wife was an only child (like me) so there's no one else. Parents on both sides are long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
wondering why the 16 year old came at all if she is already wanting to go back to CA. Who will she be living with there?
Because she missed her Grandma and Grandpa. We've helped raise and protect her over the years. Her Aunt is back in CA where she'll return.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,415,797 times
This thread gives me a lot of gratitude. My sons are not the most productive louts on the planet, but they haven't been back, haven't populated the world with more children they would struggle to support and haven't been in any recent trouble. I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer or two for Curmudgeon.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,643,535 times
In some way, somewhere your kindness will be returned.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Default New Update

SD and GD left awhile ago to make the four+ hour drive to the airport (told ya we were rural) to send GD on her way back to the left coast. Now there are three! Preprogrammed and loaned SD ouir GPS to get her there and back. Now we have a day of peace and quiet until the boys get back from school at about 4:00. That's all for now.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,642,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
SD and GD left awhile ago to make the four+ hour drive to the airport (told ya we were rural) to send GD on her way back to the left coast. Now there are three! Preprogrammed and loaned SD ouir GPS to get her there and back. Now we have a day of peace and quiet until the boys get back from school at about 4:00. That's all for now.
Sit down at 3:00 with a good stiff drink in your hand and some peaceful listening music. Enjoy the peace and quiet. You deserve it....LOL

Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Sit down at 3:00 with a good stiff drink in your hand and some peaceful listening music. Enjoy the peace and quiet. You deserve it....LOL
Actually, I missed my chance. Shoulda pre-programmed the GPS to make SD's return trip guide her to BF Egypt!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
Bless you, Curmudgeon. You've got a Box Seat waiting for you in Heaven.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,280 posts, read 8,636,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Bless you, Curmudgeon. You've got a Box Seat waiting for you in Heaven.
Ha ...... The only reason OL Curm's going to heaven is the Devil's afraid he'll take over....

Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Ha ...... The only reason OL Curm's going to heaven is the Devil's afraid he'll take over....
AHEM! I heard that, Buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.