U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 PM

50,309 posts, read 47,680,035 times

Advertisements

At senior center 7 minutes from my house and no booze works for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Status: " All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well" (set 15 days ago)

6,837 posts, read 6,560,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
.......Seriously though, it's a toss up between naked karaoke or twister! We ring in the new year around 5 pm, just before med time. ......
The image of that in my mind is not a pretty one. People over 70 should not play naked Twister.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,340,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Remember, the Parade isn't held January 1st this year - it's on January 2nd.
Thanks for the heads up! I enjoy watching the Tournament of Roses and I'd be wondering what happened to it on New Years Day. (Checked their website, and apparently it's never held on a Sunday.)

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM

5,682 posts, read 10,527,823 times
I remember watching an episode of Las Vegas one time when there were some ladies in their late 60's, into the 70's, having some kind of a nude get-together. Both Danny and Mike were shocked when they looked at them.........at that age, it wasn't a pretty sight. But, then again, for some men that age it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The image of that in my mind is not a pretty one. People over 70 should not play naked Twister.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,732,224 times
These comments make me want to seek out a younger crowd to party with on New Years Eve.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 PM

7,247 posts, read 7,149,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I enjoy watching the Tournament of Roses and I'd be wondering what happened to it on New Years Day. (Checked their website, and apparently it's never held on a Sunday.)
In 1893, the first time New Year's Day fell on a Sunday in the history of the parade, officials decided to move the parade to Monday Jan. 2 to avoid frightening horses () tethered outside Pasadena churches and interfering with worship services. They've had a strict “Never on Sunday” policy ever since. Time to change, I say!

I hate the policy - it's not New Years Morning without slippers, coffee and the parade

The Rose Bowl football game is also never played on a Sunday.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,600,591 times
Hugh Hefner is 84 and he parties hard.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,338,586 times
We no longer have a TV so there will not be any watching of New Year's celebration. We will do the same thing as we do every night: husband watching movies or sports on his desktop while I read and download books on mine.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:34 AM

11,509 posts, read 1,682,233 times
I have a good story about the Guy Lombardo New Year's Eve celebration. It used to be televised every year from the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel ballroom in New York City. On New Year's Eve, 1972, I was there. My then-boyfriend scored us a table and a room at the hotel for the then-exorbitant price of $125 per couple.

Well, let me tell you. The table was about the size of a medium pizza and so many tables were squeezed in that we were cheek by jowl with all the other celebrants. When the broadcast began the TV lights came on and Guy Lombardo did his thing. The band played and everybody danced. The dance floor was even more jammed than the seating area. At least one leadfooted fellow stomped on my foot.

But here's the funny part: As soon as Lombardo was off the air and they switched to Times Square, the TV lights went out and the band stopped dead mid-song, leaving us all stranded on the dance floor! I asked someone why and was told that because of union rules Lombardo's band was only paid for the time that they were playing on live TV. So as soon as the cameras were off him, he and the band sat there and did nothing. What a farce! The hotel room we got was about the size of a closet, barely room for a double bed, and I think it had a view of a wall.

It's more fun to stay home, which is what DH and I plan to do. We'll have a bottle of champagne, I'll make some nice snacks, and we'll watch the live TV coverage from the comfort of our sofa.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 AM

12,401 posts, read 8,674,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I have a good story about the Guy Lombardo New Year's Eve celebration. It used to be televised every year from the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel ballroom in New York City. On New Year's Eve, 1972, I was there. My then-boyfriend scored us a table and a room at the hotel for the then-exorbitant price of $125 per couple.

Well, let me tell you. The table was about the size of a medium pizza and so many tables were squeezed in that we were cheek by jowl with all the other celebrants. When the broadcast began the TV lights came on and Guy Lombardo did his thing. The band played and everybody danced. The dance floor was even more jammed than the seating area. At least one leadfooted fellow stomped on my foot.

But here's the funny part: As soon as Lombardo was off the air and they switched to Times Square, the TV lights went out and the band stopped dead mid-song, leaving us all stranded on the dance floor! I asked someone why and was told that because of union rules Lombardo's band was only paid for the time that they were playing on live TV. So as soon as the cameras were off him, he and the band sat there and did nothing. What a farce! The hotel room we got was about the size of a closet, barely room for a double bed, and I think it had a view of a wall.

It's more fun to stay home, which is what DH and I plan to do. We'll have a bottle of champagne, I'll make some nice snacks, and we'll watch the live TV coverage from the comfort of our sofa.
Great story! But I think I'd prefer half an evening of dancing to Guy Lombardo than staying home watching TV. Personally, the feeling of being with others in a joyful way for a common secular experience is a bit more exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement