Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

8-23-10

It's still August and it's really cold where I am in New England, I'm closing windows and wearing a sweatshirt or sweater. It feels like mid to late September with the cool rainy breezy days and nights...my outdoors is still green but plants are looking more like Sept. I'm wondering if I'm just imagining it that we are a month ahead of schedule with the season. And that makes me wonder it this weather is just a fluke (it could very well return to hot as blazes in Sept, as it often does in NEng)...or if climate changes are happening here and elsewhere. Is anyone else experiencing weather out of character for your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Nope, in Northern California and today is going to be a hot 103 degrees. Last week was mostly in the mid to upper 80's.

This type of up and down temperature swing is pretty typical for here in the late August and early September timeframe. Once we hit around mid September, temperatures will start to moderate more towards highs in the 80-low 90's range for a few weeks.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

8-23-10

It's still August and it's really cold where I am in New England, I'm closing windows and wearing a sweatshirt or sweater. It feels like mid to late September with the cool rainy breezy days and nights...my outdoors is still green but plants are looking more like Sept. I'm wondering if I'm just imagining it that we are a month ahead of schedule with the season. And that makes me wonder it this weather is just a fluke (it could very well return to hot as blazes in Sept, as it often does in NEng)...or if climate changes are happening here and elsewhere. Is anyone else experiencing weather out of character for your area?
Definitely still Summer here in AZ! Right now it's about 86 degrees, 46% humidity with a 30% chance of rain...which doesn't mean we'll GET any! The high today is supposed to be 101 with a low of 70 tonight and by Sat. is supposed to be down to 90 for a high. We'll see. We haven't had much of a Monsoon season this year. Had quite a bit of rain in late July and very early August but not so much since then.

My garden is still doing pretty good with the zucchini and tomatoes doing the best. The carrots are doing pretty good too. The rest is 'plugging along' but the heat doesn't help. Maybe the humidity does though. I still have to water often.

But, no, haven't noticed any "out of character" weather...except less rain than usual for this time of year.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Definitely still Summer here in AZ! Right now it's about 86 degrees, 46% humidity with a 30% chance of rain...which doesn't mean we'll GET any! The high today is supposed to be 101 with a low of 70 tonight and by Sat. is supposed to be down to 90 for a high. We'll see. We haven't had much of a Monsoon season this year. Had quite a bit of rain in late July and very early August but not so much since then.

My garden is still doing pretty good with the zucchini and tomatoes doing the best. The carrots are doing pretty good too. The rest is 'plugging along' but the heat doesn't help. Maybe the humidity does though. I still have to water often.

But, no, haven't noticed any "out of character" weather...except less rain than usual for this time of year.
Wait, I thought Arizona didn't get humidity! 46% seems high! : Isn't AZ dry, as in desert, all the time?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:47 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
SoCal definitely had some strange weather this year. Normally we have May gray and June gloom, but the gloom just didn't go away until about a week ago. The coastal region was socked in with marine layer all day, so not much, if any, sun and the temps were in the 60's, about 10-15 degrees cooler than normal. We're now having our summer and it'll probably last thru Sept/Oct...2 of the best months to visit here.

Ever since Mt St Helens blew back in like 1979? the weather here has changed, used to be much warmer all year round. Now we have a cool winter and the summers are getting cooler/shorter too it seems. I read where SoCal will have NoCal weather in about 20 years.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Prety typical summer here with temperature not reaching 100 any day so far. We alos have had about noraml rainfall. I do see that night time temperatures are expect to be lower than usual this week but not out of the scope of normal really.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:15 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
While today is cooler than it has been for a long time (what a relief!), this summer has been rather hot across most of the country. Here in the mid-Atlantic, we reached a record breaker in the number of 90+ degree days by mid-summer with lots of them in the 100's with high humidity. To my mind, this summer has been lousy as I don't like the heat and humidity.

First, climate does not equal weather. Weather is what happens each day. Climate is what happens over many years and is defined by averages of the weather. Those averages include a lot of variability including extremes of weather. In periods of climate change, the weather variabilities increase in dimension so we experience a lot of variability from year to year until the new climate settles in. This can take more than a lifetime to occur. The normals used to define the averages (as in normal = mathematical average in the Bell curve) are over a period of 30 years. This means near normal weather only occurs about 1/3 of the time. The rest of the time is made up of extremes in our daily weather experience.

So having a day or even a year out of normal is completely "normal."

Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM

183 posts, read 352,093 times
Typical, or as typical as it gets. The spring was cold and unsettled until mid June. Then it gets hot and stays that way except for days when we get thunderstorms due to the heat. In late August it always gets cooler for a week or so and lots of years we get a little rain. I know this because it invariably drives the doves out of the area right before the hunting season opens. September will be warm with cool crisp mornings. We will get a hard freeze in late September and the weather will slowly but steadily get colder until December. We get a few variations in timing and severity, but the patterns are there and have been as long as I remember.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wait, I thought Arizona didn't get humidity! 46% seems high! : Isn't AZ dry, as in desert, all the time?
Usually, no humidity, but during the Monsoon (rainy) season, it's kinda hard NOT to have humidity. lol It's only that high when rain is "threatened", lasts from around the first of July to mid-Sept...usually. We have our drier days but most of us prefer the rain in summer and don't mind the humidity. It sure beats the humidity in the midwest and down south! It's not the kind of humidity that makes you feel like you're breathing underwater. And you don't get covered in sweat right out of the shower. As long as you have a swamp cooler...which works better in drier weather but does 'okay'...or A/C, no sweat. Pun intended. lol

Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Austin, TX is a great place to live, except during the hottest summer months. It is supposed to hit 103 here today, it hit 104 yesterday. Fortunatly the prediction is temperatures in the 90's the rest of the week. It should be cooler the rest of the month and even more so next month.

Property taxes are a little high in Austin, but there are lots of smaller towns around the area that are lower. Also there is NO State income tax in Texas so that is a savings.

Fall and Spring are wonderful seasons for us here, and I have enjoyed many days of sailing during the winter on the local Lake Travis, even in January.

I grew up in Wyoming and also lived in Denver Colorado in my younger years. I have no desire to move back to anyplace where it snows regularly, had enough of that. We have even had some winters here where the grass stayed green all year round.

As far as climate change goes, last summer was far hotter and drier then this summer. Numerous new high temperature records were set during the summer. I don't think any have been set this year, so I don't think you can draw any conclusions from short term weather patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement