Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

http://my.firedoglake.com/bsonenstei...net-opponents/

Social Security Battle: AARP Plans Secret 'Salon' With Social Security Opponents

I received a petition that said the AARP is doing back room deals again, to undermine its own members by negotiating with cutbacks in Social Security benefits to be on the table.

The AARP sells so much insurance to its members that some think of it as an arm of the industry, and not a representative of the elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The AARP sells so much insurance to its members that some think of it as an arm of the industry, and not a representative of the elderly.
Yeah! Anyone with an ounce of sense who's been paying attention.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
This "Salon" is just another brainstorming session of Washington think tanks and lobbyists. It has no more effect than any other such gatherings. Even a Presidential Commission didn't get anything done.

If and when the Congress and President can agree on a reform proposal, Social Security will be changed. We are probably a couple of election cycles from that occurring. Even then, the changes are not likely to effect anyone over 55 at the time the legislation is passed.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
This "Salon" is just another brainstorming session of Washington think tanks and lobbyists. It has no more effect than any other such gatherings. Even a Presidential Commission didn't get anything done.

If and when the Congress and President can agree on a reform proposal, Social Security will be changed. We are probably a couple of election cycles from that occurring. Even then, the changes are not likely to effect anyone over 55 at the time the legislation is passed.
This article, to me, is less about Social Security and more about the AARP betraying the interests of its members.

They are touted as a lobbying group for the aged, yet betray those interests.

I do not blow off meetings such as this. When things happen between our government and lobbyists behind closed doors, if an agreement is found, things can change rapidly.

Look at how quickly NAFTA and CAFTA were passed. They were voting on it at midnight, for goodness sake, to cram it through without the public being alerted. At the time the public was hearing things like you just said - it takes forever to get agreements on things, and there will be lots of time to discuss things, don't be concerned right now, it's too early to worry.

No, we should be aware at every step of the way.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
This is nothing new as when they support the healthcare bill and it had funding by 500 billion in medicare cuts over ten years ;they loss alot of people. In the end I highly doubt many are going to fall for this now.Now i am not saying somethig doesn't have to be doen on mediccare but trnsfer to otehr program such as this to pay for that program and supporting it against your members interest is what your paid to do.If you piad to lobby then lobby is what i say;not cut a deal aginst there interest.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I hold no particular brief for the AARP, which I never joined. And I agree that the money they earn from insurance sales makes them suspect. However, maintaining Social Security benefits and strengthening Social Security has long been their publically announced policy. Therefore, color me skeptical at this point, especially as I think they must be smart enough (in a calculating way) to realize that their being a party to cutting SS benefits would result in a mass exodus of outraged members. Not saying the OP is wrong, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I follow the political events closely, and my opinion differs from yours. I think the organization is doing a good job representing its members. It operates in the real world, not one comprised of fantasies.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
There is a clear need for some type of required retirement system. Everyone should work to make the existing system stronger and better.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:02 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Common sense says SS reform is inevitable. AARP just wants a seat at the table, that's all. It's against their agenda to promote some reform that will harm seniors. What possible good would that do their organization? I'm sure members will be renewing and buying lots of that insurance, if AARP helps to take their SS checks away.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:12 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
QUIT AARP last election when they decided to back the current president....will NEVER associate with them again. JMHO!

I see this organization as "using the eldery" to project/fund their own political beliefs and policies regardless of the outcome for those that pay their bills.

What is the difference between them and ANY other scammer out there taking advantage of those that are older????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement