Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:30 PM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

now your talking. mag-safes and glaser safety rounds are perfect for home defense. their wounds are more consistant with shot gun damage. they were invented for sky marshalls but are great rounds for staying within the body. they can pierce wooden barriers but they wont penetrate a coke can once the fluid in the can opens them up.
they are highly effective for transmitting that energy. one warning though ,they dont open reliabily in smaller calibers from what i was taught.

the draw back is they fly very different and anything more than right up close and personal can be a real challenge. at what i remember to be 5 bucks a bullet it isnt easy to get any practice time in with them either to learn how to aim with them.

i have a 20 year old 686 myself. only 6 rounds though, its now my wifes.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-17-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'll take my Smith & Wesson Model 686 loaded with seven rounds of what I deem an appropriate mix of .357 magnum, Magsafe, frangible and rated the fastest incapacitator, alternating with 125 grain hollowpoints.. My two dogs warn me. They bark at everyone except the garbage man. Good things fall off of his truck.
see you have more knowledge than i thought. i was just surprised you didnt understand the difference between the needs of the good guy and why one shot stops are critical vs anything goes for the bad guy.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
now your talking. mag-safes and glaser safety rounds are perfect for home defense. their wounds are more consistant with shot gun damage. they were invented for sky marshalls but are great rounds for staying within the body. they can pierce wooden barriers but they wont penetrate a coke can once the fluid in the body opens them up.
I wouldn't take a chance on that. In the Strasbourg tests they outperformed everything else including Glasers in terms of rapidity of incapacitation. Overpenetration isn't a problem where I live.

Quote:
see you have more knowledge than i thought. i was just surprised you didnt understand the difference between the needs of the good guy and why one shot stops are critical vs anything goes for the bad guy.
Well, thanks, I guess.

One shot stops are the ideal but if I have a choice between nothing and a .22 long rifle I'll take the .22. For the citizenry in general, I'd say shoot what's in your comfort zone. A hit with a .22 beats etc. etc. The important thing is to have a gun.

Let's not forget what Julian Hatcher said about the moral effect of a gunshot wound. People have fainted after a minor wound from a .22 short. On the other hand, when Antonio Gaspi tried to escape from a military prison in the Phillipines he absorbed a magazine of .30-40 rounds, low powered guard cartridges but not without stopping power. The guard stopped him with the butt of his rifle.

Sometimes we can't carry our first choice. For my part I've never felt uncomfortable with a North American Arms .22 magnum.

Are you really Evan Marshall? You are one with him in e-mail capitalization.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 PM

through the years i have studied quite a bit of marshall and snows research as well as learned alot about ballistics in combat training..

i believe in having every edge in my favor when it comes to my life. im not him though....

Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
Guns -- America's Panacea.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
now your talking. mag-safes and glaser safety rounds are perfect for home defense. their wounds are more consistant with shot gun damage. they were invented for sky marshalls but are great rounds for staying within the body. they can pierce wooden barriers but they wont penetrate a coke can once the fluid in the can opens them up.
they are highly effective for transmitting that energy. one warning though ,they dont open reliabily in smaller calibers from what i was taught.

the draw back is they fly very different and anything more than right up close and personal can be a real challenge. at what i remember to be 5 bucks a bullet it isnt easy to get any practice time in with them either to learn how to aim with them.

i have a 20 year old 686 myself. only 6 rounds though, its now my wifes.
My favorite handgun is a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece 2" that was made in 1970. It's accurate, maneuverable, has a laser sight and is loaded with frangibles for use in home protection - also only six rounds. Back-up rounds are Hornady Critical Defense but you need some distance for them to be fully effective.

My favorite carry gun is a S&W Model 637 Airweight snubbie. For me it's a perfect, point-shoot, belly and pocket gun with which I'm also adept at hip shoots at a reasonable range. I've had the trigger pull adjusted to about 6.5 pounds which is quite comfortable and I've added Pachmeyer grips so there's no longer any slap from the back strap.

In an in-home situation, I'd "man" the Model 15 and my wife the 637 as back-up. Next up, a Walther PK380 for her and a Kimber .45 for me.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:50 PM

i always wanted that kimber 45.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:52 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
now your talking. mag-safes and glaser safety rounds are perfect for home defense.
There have been a few rather disturbing reports of them failing, and failing badly, to penetrate, and only causing minor surface wounds. Usually the problem was the perp wearing heavy outer clothing; a very thick bulky jacket that the round dumped its load in. The newer more modern frangible ammo may be more effective and reliable, but not many field reports to go on.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:10 PM

well the good news is i have no experience with them to report.

i can see it happening as they are quite complex and difficult to make and balance. thats why they are so expensive.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My favorite handgun is a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece 2" that was made in 1970. It's accurate, maneuverable, has a laser sight and is loaded with frangibles for use in home protection - also only six rounds. Back-up rounds are Hornady Critical Defense but you need some distance for them to be fully effective.
???????????????

The projectile doesn't gain velocity after it leaves the barrel; it loses velocity. Only the MBA Gyrojet ammo needs to get up to speed. That's because it's a miniature rocket. Neither the guns nor the ammo have been made in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My favorite carry gun is a S&W Model 637 Airweight snubbie. For me it's a perfect, point-shoot, belly and pocket gun with which I'm also adept at hip shoots at a reasonable range. I've had the trigger pull adjusted to about 6.5 pounds which is quite comfortable and I've added Pachmeyer grips so there's no longer any slap from the back strap.
In the summer I like the Model 638 in my right hand pocket. The draw is snagless and I can shoot single action. Vive le Bodyguard.

Once upon a time Smith often shipped the various Bodyguard models with target triggers, hardly the best for rapid double action work but great for a quick draw and aimed fire.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement