Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 03:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

Do you put up a tree?

Outside lights?

If you do not, why did you stop and when? (too much trouble, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 03:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
Yes, I decorate inside and out, for me, no one else. I enjoy the creative aspect of decorating.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Yes, we decorate inside and out, both moderately, and what's worse, we play Christmas music. It heps get into and sustain the holiday mood and brings pleasure to us as well as others.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Inside and out.....

Old 12-17-2011, 05:28 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
We decorate very little. Electric candles in the windows on timers from 5 to 11pm, a few simple other things about, Poinsetta plants about the house, a small artificial lighted tree (been using it for years) but no large, decorated every year tree, decorated/artifical wreath (used every year) on the door. All goes up Thanksgiving weekend and comes down a few days after the New Year.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,195 times
More inside than outside even though I have "downsized" since my children are older and gone. A real tree is a must for me, but I am noticing there are fewer people/businesses/organizations selling them this year.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:48 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,692 times
for the last ten years i've put up candles in the windows which stay on through most of the winter. i also have a wreath for the door and small wreaths for the lamposts in the front. inside i have artificial poinsettias, candles( i use a lot throughout the year anyway) and various snowball/silver pinecones/holly sprigs/greenery decorations on mantel, tables, and sconces. i have a small decorated, lighted artificial tree.

i have not had a live tree since my husband died, but prior to that we had a live tree every year; and he ( very artistic and creative ) decorated with williamsburg type wreaths, garlands, etc, which he made. most of the wreaths and other decorations i still use were his creations.

christmas was truly his season and he really loved the decorating part of it. i have always had, since i've been an adult, ambivalent feelings about christmas, and although i always have some decorations inside and out, my approach at this point in my life is more low-key.

catsy girl

Last edited by catsy girl; 12-17-2011 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-17-2011, 06:45 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Do you put up a tree?

Outside lights?

If you do not, why did you stop and when? (too much trouble, etc)?
Not any more. Christmas used to be my most favorite time of year and I went all out. Even living alone I always had the tree, lights, village and gifts under the tree. I haven't done anything the past three years. The first year was because I just KNEW my 'devil cat' would tear it to pieces...and she still might, if I put one up. I just don't seem to care anymore, I guess. I live behind my mom's house and nobody would ever see any of it, except me and while I always enjoyed it I don't anymore. There are no gifts coming to the house so no need for a tree to put them under. My kids and grkids and their families live far away so nobody comes over. It has become "just another day". And, because of all that, it IS too much trouble anymore so I just don't. I don't feel "Bah humbug" about it though.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
This year, of course, we have children in the home. But even when it's just the two of us we decorate for the occasion. We find that it helps.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
We have a family party for putting up the tree. It's the one "big deal" decorating that we do. I have a few wintery decorations I put around the house but that just takes a few minutes. We like outdoor lights, and usually put a few strings in the bushes and a string around the front door. I like to keep lights fairly simple, but I do like having them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement