U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 AM

21,328 posts, read 26,211,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planningretirement View Post
There are many retirement locations in US that may suite you. As far as cost of living is concerned, Alabama suits you with Average cost of 162,000 ...

$162k/year cost-of-living for a retiree.

Wow!

That is some nice pension you got there.

My pension is closer to $17k/year. Which is why we moved to a much lower cost-of-living area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 12:02 PM

64 posts, read 159,456 times
That $162,000 that the poster stated is the average price of a home, not the cost of living. The cost of living varies depending on what area of Alabama you live in.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieS View Post
That $162,000 that the poster stated is the average price of a home, not the cost of living. The cost of living varies depending on what area of Alabama you live in.
'Oh, my God'

Okay then.

I have owned numerous properties. Mostly 3-unit to 5-unit Multi-Family-Residences. West coast, East coast, and Europe.

I have never paid so much for a property.

The 'average' home price is $160k+

Old 05-23-2009, 01:19 PM

8,290 posts, read 10,095,497 times
We have been looking at AL due to the very low property taxes there. They do tax income however and have other taxes. I think we will just go to the moon.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew
We have been looking at AL due to the very low property taxes there. They do tax income however and have other taxes. I think we will just go to the moon.
You need a low mil rate, combined with low home prices.

Our mil rate is 0.00852 which seems to be fairly low.

I would be hesitant of any area where the mil rate was above 0.01

Old 05-25-2009, 02:52 PM

8,290 posts, read 10,095,497 times
It is hard to sift through all the different qualifiers when looking for the final spot. If I could handle the cold, I think Maine would be lovely and I would really like to keep some pet chickens and that alone is becoming almost impossible with HOA's being the norm now. I miss the farm.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew
It is hard to sift through all the different qualifiers when looking for the final spot.
I hear you.

Quote:
... If I could handle the cold, I think Maine would be lovely and I would really like to keep some pet chickens and that alone is becoming almost impossible with HOA's being the norm now. I miss the farm.
I was concerned about the cold.

You do get acclimatized to it.

4X4s are really for off-roading, "mudding", we have not seen any need for 4X4s for winter driving so far.

Front-Wheel-Drive vehicles are great in the snow and ice, and fortunately cheap commuter cars tends to be FWD. So it is not like a person has to get a specific kind or type of vehicle to drive here.

The 'obstacle' is the snow. Now we are North of the snow 'belt' that blows from the great lakes and dumps onto Chicago - Detroit - Buffalo - NYC. We seem to get much less of the global warming here.

What I see most homes here do is they have one old pickup with a snow plow mounted on it. They don't bother to register the truck at all, they only start it up when they need to clear their driveway. No insurance, no registration, and a tank a fuel lasts for years.

No HOAs here either.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:47 PM

15,465 posts, read 13,065,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Exactly. If I were looking for a retirement place, I would seriously consider the mountains of Costa Rica.
Several of my doctors have commented with surprise on finding how good their training and medical facilities are.
I started asking around after I read a book about CR retirement.
Costa Rica is a VERY popular retirement location for Americans - stable, safe, fairly prosperous, and modern.

Ken

Old 05-30-2009, 04:31 AM

40,871 posts, read 42,173,972 times
Basically any where that has that weather is high cost of living or in a third world country really.The coastal area of california was that but the prices and lifestyle from crowding have gone crazy;IMO.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:51 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,101,818 times
The east coast of Malaysia has miles and miles of beach with NO development. House prices are very cheap relative to the USA and Europe AND you can buy the house in your own name. You have to buy houses above a minimum price (~US$71k), but that will get you a nice-sized bungalow or semi-detached (half of a duplex).

Malaysia is making it easier for foreigners to retire here. Just do a google search on "Malaysia My Second Home" and you will find the government's website that explains the details.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-31-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement