Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times

Advertisements

I've been an avid cycilst all my life with a short detour into motorized
cycles ( a mean costly failure that was NO fun at all ). I deeply
both enjoy and comprehend the value of this simple elegant machine.

If you would like to learn more about bikes from the racer boy type
to mom & pop going to the grocery store on a bike here is a first rate
cycling forum with something for every age & interest/ability level.

Bike Forums

Non-members will have to put up with ads but for a one time donation
you can get a "red star" of a member and ditch the ads completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 04:15 PM

I find it interesting that with such a large and diverse membership as this forum has
that no one has used bikes to cut cost and enjoy the free health benefit of riding.

Are we all so rich that this bikes are not even considered for the life value they offer??

Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Don't worry, some of us are still doing 'century' rides on an occasional basis. (100 mile)
I prefer to do mine in the mountains, but am getting kinda rusty.
Did an 'east coast' ride a few yrs ago, and really enjoy biking in DC area, where there are plenty of routes.

I have several older friends who are into the 'iron-man' thing, but often they border on 'nut-cases' in their zeal.

I enjoy watching and marshaling competitive cycling, but I prefer to participate via a motorcycle where I can pass the field and watch several parts of the race.

It just isn't a passion at the moment. I was part of a design team that built and released a bike e-pedometer with trip meter, cadence, and heart-rate back in 1978...
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4...00computer.jpg
Pacer 2000 - (http://www.2avr.com/Electronics__Lighting____Gadgets/20080414/Pacer_2000_2721.html - broken link)

I also still have a 'Blue sky' Bicycle trailer, which is a great bike camping companion when doing trips via ferry in the coastal regions. (in the Gulf Islands and San Juans in my neighborhood). It is still considered one of the best balanced trailers for towing cargo. It is very nice, and will likely replace my VW Rabbit when we run out of veggie oil. (hope algae-oil gets prevalent)

Current location with 120" rain / yr, and very narrow country roads, I take the Rabbit (wipers, and heater are nice, and @ 50 mpg is not terribly burdensome, yet...)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-21-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 05:10 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
When I lived in the city, I loved using my bike to go up to six miles or so (and 30 miles for fun). After a drunken motorcycle hit me *on the bike path*, I found myself unable to ride a bike without looking for that nasty surprise coming up on me. I no longer live in the city, and have bought bikes, and still just feel almost post-traumatic stress when I hear a car.
I'm thinking of buying one of those waterbikes to exercise by bike on the local lake. If I ever start exercising again.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times
I do ride my bike for health reasons and for the cost savings, but mostly I ride my bike 'cause it makes me feel about 11 years old and free as the breeze....

Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I do ride my bike for health reasons and for the cost savings, but mostly I ride my bike 'cause it makes me feel about 11 years old and free as the breeze....
THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 PM

A good many adults are simply afraid to ride a bike on city streets or
rural road because ot the brain dead car drivers that insist that bike's
have no right to any of the road space.

Well, these people are wrong! Every state in the union defines a bicycle as
a........vehicle......just like a car.

Then again a great many cyclist are their own worst enemy by riding
willy nilly breaking all rules of the road like a child would do. Well kids
don't know all the rules of road......but.....adults should if they drive a
car or they shouldn't be allowed to drive. Yea, I know I'm dreaming
but the more cyclist there are, and I believe more adults will have to
take to the bike, the safer it will become for all.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
I'll be getting into riding for exercise soon. Any suggestions for good websites for learning about street bikes - recommendations, etc. other than the forum linked in the first post above.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:51 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
A good many adults are simply afraid to ride a bike on city streets or
rural road because ot the brain dead car drivers that insist that bike's
have no right to any of the road space.

Well, these people are wrong! Every state in the union defines a bicycle as
a........vehicle......just like a car.
Try telling that to the jerk in the jumbo sized SUV who's texting on his cellphone while driving.

I used to ride a bike a lot when I lived in the city. Where I live now there are a lot of country roads with a speed limit of 55 and little or no shoulder to them. I don't really feel safe at all riding in a situation like that.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:37 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'll be getting into riding for exercise soon. Any suggestions for good websites for learning about street bikes - recommendations, etc. other than the forum linked in the first post above.
take a bicycle repair workshop alot of big chain bike stores offer to show you how to tune up your bike and maintain it it depends on how much you want to learn and what type of bike you want because I doubt you would need some features like hydralic disc brakes and carbon fiber frames

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-23-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement