Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,832 times

Advertisements

In the 80s I spent 2 weeks in the Puerto Escondido area. I loved it.

Now that the early 50s are here, my wife and I are going to try retirement there. The area south of there, near Puerto Anhil, is beautiful. We are tired of the dc ways and hope to last until social security and medicare begin.

A friend retired to the area last year. He also keeps a place in Oxahaca.

I think the most important thing is to have a friend in the area. My Spanish is rough and he is fluent.

Wish us luck.

Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The Mexico forum seems to have little traffic on this topic of retirement and this seems to be a well traveled retiree location.

I’ve always find it interesting to think about retirement in Mexico. I’ve seen newspaper articles from time to time, but never can find more detailed info on this opportunity for elders. It appears that there are luxury resorts for Americans but I’m not looking for condos or resorts like those I’ve seen advertised.

Are there any American retirees in this forum that have experienced some living in Mexico and perhaps retired there for a while before returning back to the states? I’m interested in some of the pros and cons from those who have tried it out.
You can google lots of information about this. Believe me there are lots and lots of "expat" communities in Mexico for the gringo looking to spend his pension money. In fact, these communities are so Americanized that you can't even tell you are in Mexico, except for the cheap housekeepers, gardeners and year-around produce. If that is the kind of lifestyle you would want, I'm sure you'd be pleased.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-18-2009, 03:50 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Cool Not for me !

No one has mentioned "crime" ! It's bad enough in the good old USA, but imagine being the victim of a crime in Mexico ? Or being accused of a crime in Mexico ? No thanks !!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Depending on your tolerance for cleanliness and sanitation you would be wise to stay either in a modernized area, or an Americanized area.

I worked with a woman who used to vacation every year in Mexico. She and her husband had decided to retire there. On their last pre-retirement vacation they finally got out of the vacation compound and went to the little village they planned on retiring to. She was taken aback by the poverty, dirt roads, open-air markets where the food was covered in flies (and as she put it "other, unrecognizable crawlies"), and the lack of modern sanitation.

Needless to say they have retired in the U.S. At least for now.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:48 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo567878 View Post
We are tired of the dc ways and hope to last until social security and medicare begin.
Yes, good luck to you. Keep in mind that Medicare does not work in Mexico. From what I've read, it's best to have those SS checks deposited in a US bank, and use ATMs as needed for cash in other countries, including Mexico.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:14 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I am retired in Baja just south of Rosarito. Close to the border and my medical needs at the VA hospital. I have my SS deposited directly into the bank in the US and can withdraw at the ATM or use the mexican ATM for a small service charge here locally.

Either way it is better for me as I buy my groceries 2-3 times a week during my regular visits. Two birds with one stone so to speak. In case of an emergency I do have American friends that can hustle me quickly to the VA hospital and vice versa which has happened. If one of us has to have surgery we can be dropped off and picked up when ready to leave. That has also worked out well for us.

There are many Americans in my area. The phone book is full of American names.

Depending on your health would determine where to live for both medical stateside needs and also for family notification. Both should be considered taking age into consideration. As for me...my kids are far away in the US but I'm just 29 mile away from the border which is important for me. Steve

Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Depending on your tolerance for cleanliness and sanitation you would be wise to stay either in a modernized area, or an Americanized area.

I worked with a woman who used to vacation every year in Mexico. She and her husband had decided to retire there. On their last pre-retirement vacation they finally got out of the vacation compound and went to the little village they planned on retiring to. She was taken aback by the poverty, dirt roads, open-air markets where the food was covered in flies (and as she put it "other, unrecognizable crawlies"), and the lack of modern sanitation.

Needless to say they have retired in the U.S. At least for now.
your post makes me smile. Honestly, your description of the village sounds like paradise to me (yes, even the "crawlies"). Nothing could be less attractive to me than an environment where everything is perfectly clean and sanitized beyond recognition. That is one reason why, if I were thinking about retiring in Mexico I would not even begin to consider an "expat" compound but rather would seek out a little village like the one you mention. I suppose most people would find the conditions less than attractive, but I find them quite the opposite. You did not mention electricity - my understanding that a lot of places in Mexico only have electrical service for a few hours a day (if at all), and that if you need it full time you have to use a generator.

I'm sorry that your friends did not appreciate that side of Mexico. It reminds me of that old saying... "Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it".

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Well 20yrs I will slightly disagree with some of your assesments regarding the availability of electricity in Mexico. Granted that in some areas via peoples choice there is limited or no electricity at all.

They do steal electricity by running long stetches of wire in many cases as I have seen first hand.

On my bill there is a set Peso amount that all legal connections pay to offset the pillferage done.

My wife was a senior executive with the CFE (govmt power co) and told me that they would run wires for five miles to someones home if the need may be with no extra cost to the consumer. Shanty areas are common in desolate places but you will still see poles with wires leading to a shack with a TV antenna on the roof. Steve

Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Well 20yrs I will slightly disagree with some of your assesments regarding the availability of electricity in Mexico. Granted that in some areas via peoples choice there is limited or no electricity at all.

They do steal electricity by running long stetches of wire in many cases as I have seen first hand.

On my bill there is a set Peso amount that all legal connections pay to offset the pillferage done.

My wife was a senior executive with the CFE (govmt power co) and told me that they would run wires for five miles to someones home if the need may be with no extra cost to the consumer. Shanty areas are common in desolate places but you will still see poles with wires leading to a shack with a TV antenna on the roof. Steve
That is interestesting. We were trying to put wiring in our worshop and would have to run the 120 for about 300 feet to do it. The electrician said that we would lose too much voltage going that far. Imagine how much you would lose going 5 miles!!!! I wonder if there is enough juice left to power anything? Apparently so, or they would not do it.

I have heard stories like yours as well. People can be very creative, that's for sure.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

My father had to do this during the Great Depression right here in the Heartland of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement