U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,860,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You would be surprised what's available in CA. A lot of the docs are US trained and your dollars puts you in the top eschelon of health care. Health insurance is amazingly affordable there compared to here.

I am referring to major cities, not extremely rural areas.

CA is starting to make real money providing medical services to Americans. Check out the number of dentists in Algodones. Or the number of plastic surgery procedures in Costa Rica.
It took me a few seconds to realize that your abbreviation, "CA" stood for Central America. At least you gave me a good laugh misinterpreting that:
"CA (California) is starting to make real money providing medical services to Americans".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM

15,809 posts, read 26,930,946 times
A co-worker is planning on heading down to some vacation hot spot in Central America. (CA if you will, LOL) we joked that many Americans want to visit and even live there while those that are residents want to move up to the USA. LOL

Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 AM

38,750 posts, read 15,185,621 times
Have been reading about San Miguel de Allende recently. What I find particularly enticing are the developing assisted living services and facilities.

I dread caring for spouse with health or memory issues on my own. Hiring dependable help is expensive and often not all that dependable. The facilities I've checked out are way over anything we could afford for more than a year or so. Even at $5,000+/month I've never seen anything better than bare minimum care with an ever rotating staff.

Apparently, Mexico does not have a tradition of assisted living facilities as families care for aging relatives in their homes, often with the assistance of hired help. But with so many Americans retiring to Mexico, ALF's are being built. They advertise the caring nature of the Mexican people as being their ace in the hole.

The $2,000/month cost is more in our price range as is paying a $1,000/month for daily assistance.

We thought of Costa Rica at one time, briefly. But it seems so far away. Plus, it is no longer the inexpensive place it once was.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 AM

38,750 posts, read 15,185,621 times
I know a couple who retired to San Miguel and absolutely love it. Neither have kids, and their grown relatives visit every year or so. Both retired from high pressure jobs and love the easy going pace of San Miguel.

Apparently, many retire there only to change their minds and move out a few years later. Despite all the classes and the cobblestone streets, it's just not for them.

Has anyone on this thread lived in San Miguel? What was your impression?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:32 PM

491 posts, read 1,473,572 times
After retiring, lived in Mexico 10 years including the last four in SMA. Kept busy serving on the board at the public library. Only negative was occassional cabin fever since the town is so small. Eventually had to move back to the States because of developing medical issues. Give it a try, just don't burn the bridges back home because you never know what the future holds in store.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,302,078 times
No way I would live in Mexico. Its taken the places of Columbia for Cartels and no one can do even a guess at murder numbers.I know people who have relatives who will no longer go into the country.Find another cheap place is my suggestion.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM

8,973 posts, read 7,811,799 times
We used to travel to Mexico every year. After getting stopped by police twice in one week, that was it. Plus all the drug crime, No more trips to Mexico. (And no I'm not a crazy driver, Haven't had an accident in over 20 years and no tickets in the last 11. )

Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 PM

3,932 posts, read 4,729,905 times
I think it's delusional to even think of visiting Mexico, much less retiring there! You wouldn't believe what goes on down there.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:37 PM

3,249 posts, read 4,765,870 times
I would just retire in Yuma AZ (Fortuna Foothills) and go across the border for inexpensive dental, pharmacy and optometrist visits. Best of both worlds.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:10 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,191,625 times
My neighbors moved to San Miguel 3 years ago....They are 60+ hippie types...They are still there but when they drive back and forth to Texas once a year they have to form convoys with other Americans with a police guard when they travel up by car....Same thing on the return trip......Sorta like the old wagon train thru Indian territory principle of the 1800's....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or