U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 PM

8 posts, read 6,848 times

Advertisements

Since Medicare would not cover us, those of us who choose to live in such a facility would need to get health insurance for any surgery, procedures,etc., that the nursing home/assisted living place would not provide. We'd probably have to get IMSS or Seguro popular. Not sure if I got those names right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 AM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
As for Medical care in Mexico, I would think Medicare would be thrilled to pay the cheaper costs of medical care in Mexico, through reimbursements, but not so!

I called Medicare, one time, telling them I could buy my medication much cheaper in Mexico, saving Medicare lots of money, and would they reimburse me for the medication? No!

Fed up with the pressure for unnecessary imaging for a Baker's Cyst, I opted to have it aspirated at the Angeles Hospital in Tijuana for $300, saving Medicare a heap of money, and they wouldn't reimburse me for it! Not one dollar of it!!!

I even went to see a Dr. at the Int'l Red Cross Clinic in TJ, cost me $5, and? No reimbursement from my insurance company at that time!

It is encouraging to see in my Aetna Provider book, they now list 5 dental clinics in Tijuana they'll reimburse for!

It's about time!

My biggest annoyance, with all of Latin America, is the unwarranted noise issues. That came from several trips around Latin America, resorting to using 33 decibel earplugs to stem the noise, at times.

For the best of both worlds, I'm looking at Tucson, just 65 miles to the Border. Just the idea of pharmacies where you don't need a prescription, that alone, might be worth it!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:03 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftm68_99 View Post
Since Medicare would not cover us, those of us who choose to live in such a facility would need to get health insurance for any surgery, procedures,etc., that the nursing home/assisted living place would not provide. We'd probably have to get IMSS or Seguro popular. Not sure if I got those names right.

Sitio Web del IMSS

Old 04-27-2016, 04:13 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,676,383 times
Nothing wrong with retiring in Mexico as the US dollar will go further down here.

Utilities and water are a lot cheaper and NO lawns to water...a savings there alone.

Sky TV is just under $35 a month with English speaking channels...lot of Movies, Fox, CNN News, NFL MNF way over 200 different choices. I like the Foreign movies that may be sub titled so I study my Spanish and listen the same time. Many are from South America, Spain, France, while the story line is so different then those made in Hollywood.

Cost of groceries a tossup in that respect as some items are cheaper then in the US while others a bit higher.

Lot of US name brand labels to choose from......could name a bunch here.

Best bet is close to the border where NO Visa is needed along with a quick access to any US provider or Medicare.

That is why over 14,000 Americans (old data) are in the Rosarito neck of the woods so to speak. Based upon the increase in traffic down town the past years the number must be a lot higher....more American faces. Have a recent new neighbors from Washington State. (man is in shorts most of the time)

Over the counter (Pharmacy) RX w/o any prescription on many items. One item advertised on TV would be $3 a pill while I can get a generic for $1.10 each in 15 or 28 quantity pack.

I tried Mexico City for three yrs but had to return back to the US after a 90 or a 180 day visa...driving or flying.

I settled here 20 yrs ago.....built a house and collect SS via DD at the bank. ATM costs are cheaper then gas crossing the border.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:36 PM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
One of the biggest surprises/shocks, when I was contemplating being an ex-pat, in either Mexico or Central America was the cost of groceries! Always bearing in mind how much they pay the workers there, and with Mexico's $5 a day minimum wage, and looking at the prices at the Gigante grocery store on Revolution in Tijuana or the Cali Mex Grocery stores, it made me wonder: what on earth do they eat down here on those wages?

I think the reason grocery prices are so affordable in the U.S. has to do with Government subsidized agriculture, which the poorer countries can't afford to do!

No different with liquor/beer prices! Even my beer-loving Mexican roommate tells me how much more affordable his beer is the U.S., as opposed to Mexico.

So if you're budgeting for groceries, in your potential move to Mexico, keep it the same as in the U.S.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 PM

1,440 posts, read 722,775 times
So far all the talk has been mostly about money/healthcare which are important but no one has mentioned something equally as important if not more so...the fact that you no longer retain the legal rights & freedoms you do in the US. Say what you want about how some are railroaded by the legal system in the USA but it's a mere pittance compared to what goes on in foreign countries and may happen to you in Mexico if you run afoul of their kangaroo courts & laws which can be turned on you on a whim should they choose. Don't expect to stand on your "rights"....you won't have much to stand on if at all.

Good luck in getting a fair shake if you go up against some Mexican big wig or someone who is in cahoots there. Best case you get fleeced out of a large sum of money....worst case is you wind up in a Mexican prison.....umm....pass.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:32 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,676,383 times
I'm 84 and that $5 a day thing has to be about 50 yrs ago if my memory serves me right.

30 yrs ago a friend in Mexico City paid his bike delivery boy $5 a day...of course that was when he actually was working when not sitting around.

A business across the street from me (construction work) pays his workers $100 a week (6-8 hr days) M-F. Seems we may have a difference in our labor knowledge.

Mexico is a large country and w/o a doubt there will be the min wage paid somewhere.....thing is they do not have the US time clocks.....take the one or two hr lunch breaks.

My step daughters (office workers in the same office) left for work at 7 AM and were thru for the day by 3 PM.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:46 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I'm 84 and that $5 a day thing has to be about 50 yrs ago if my memory serves me right.

30 yrs ago a friend in Mexico City paid his bike delivery boy $5 a day...of course that was when he actually was working when not sitting around.

A business across the street from me (construction work) pays his workers $100 a week (6-8 hr days) M-F. Seems we may have a difference in our labor knowledge.

Mexico is a large country and w/o a doubt there will be the min wage paid somewhere.....thing is they do not have the US time clocks.....take the one or two hr lunch breaks. In addition, there was generally a doctor or nurse on-site for the employees, depending on the size of the operation.

My step daughters (office workers in the same office) left for work at 7 AM and were thru for the day by 3 PM.

I agree with you.

The maquiladoras that I worked with were paying closer to US$4 an hour wage and a benefit package that was approximately that much. The current minimum wage is N$67/hr.

The standard Mexican work week in 48 hours for day shift and 42 for night shift. Sunday work is at double time.

Most Mexican plants that I worked at included free meals while working. Also, the employees were provided medical insurance, grocery vouchers and some housing benefit (minimal)

Practical Law

I think that about 90% of what I have read online about Mexican pay/benefits is complete fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or