Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

The Mexico forum seems to have little traffic on this topic of retirement and this seems to be a well traveled retiree location.

I’ve always find it interesting to think about retirement in Mexico. I’ve seen newspaper articles from time to time, but never can find more detailed info on this opportunity for elders. It appears that there are luxury resorts for Americans but I’m not looking for condos or resorts like those I’ve seen advertised.

Are there any American retirees in this forum that have experienced some living in Mexico and perhaps retired there for a while before returning back to the states? I’m interested in some of the pros and cons from those who have tried it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 04:34 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
I assume you know that Americans cannot own property in Mexico. That's what keeps us from considering a place in Cozumel.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 PM

There are ways that American can own property from what I understood. However it is like a 99 year lease type of agreements. It is something that I would not want to do any case. I’m looking for rental types of apartments, condos, villas and the like. There are so many units in luxury resort type areas but I find nothing in the way of the other. I can’t even find information on them yet.

What is Cozumel like? I don’t believe I’ve heard too much about that city or area.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:46 PM

609 posts, read 2,118,249 times
I have owned property in Mexico. Yes americans can buy land, housing etc. The title is held in a bank trust. It is simple and safe, the only criteria is nothing can be owned by foreigners within 50 meters(about 150 feet) from the ocean.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I've thought about Central America a lot. Been to lots of places and poked around. I've lived in other countries and liked it so I thought I was a logical candidate. After a lot of soul searching, I decided it wasn't for me. Here's why:

1) Financially, the places that advertise themselves as expat American communities are more expensive than lots of areas in the US. To get the value, you have to live like a local.
2) If I just have to have the new tv or a vacation to the ends of the earth; I can work for it here. I don't have that option if I am living on a retirement visa in another country.
3) Cultural isolation. I don't know if I want to be old and infirm in an alien environment.

If you are seriously considering retiring in another country, I suggest renting there for a least a year. Realestate is easy to buy and hard to sell. A lot of the same properties are still on the market 4 years later in Panama and Costa Rica. Americans aren't used to being inconvenienced. Would you cope well with a 2 year wait for phone service or a utility bill that must be paid in person and the office is only open on Thursdays? There are lots of interesting new things to explore but there are real pains too.

Not too long ago, I looked at some new homes close to Cancun. About 10 min from the beach. $34K for 3br 2ba. No closets, you build those after you buy.....just another quirky thing to us Americans.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:21 PM

You’re right about financially places that advertise themselves are more expensive than most areas in the US.

I don’t think I’d want to buy but renting on a yearly lease is a very good idea. So far I can’t find anything listed anywhere.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:31 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
I would be concerned about quality health care. If I were to make a move like that I would make sure I knew I was going to be near a place that could provide it. If it's even available to begin with?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I would be concerned about quality health care. If I were to make a move like that I would make sure I knew I was going to be near a place that could provide it. If it's even available to begin with?
You would be surprised what's available in CA. A lot of the docs are US trained and your dollars puts you in the top eschelon of health care. Health insurance is amazingly affordable there compared to here.

I am referring to major cities, not extremely rural areas.

CA is starting to make real money providing medical services to Americans. Check out the number of dentists in Algodones. Or the number of plastic surgery procedures in Costa Rica.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:09 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There are ways that American can own property from what I understood. However it is like a 99 year lease type of agreements. It is something that I would not want to do any case. I’m looking for rental types of apartments, condos, villas and the like. There are so many units in luxury resort type areas but I find nothing in the way of the other. I can’t even find information on them yet.

What is Cozumel like? I don’t believe I’ve heard too much about that city or area.
Cozumel is a very touristy but beautiful place. But think H U R R I C A N E S!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:24 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You would be surprised what's available in CA. A lot of the docs are US trained and your dollars puts you in the top eschelon of health care. Health insurance is amazingly affordable there compared to here.

I am referring to major cities, not extremely rural areas.

CA is starting to make real money providing medical services to Americans. Check out the number of dentists in Algodones. Or the number of plastic surgery procedures in Costa Rica.
Regarding overseas health care:

I recently read a very interesting article in AARP that was about folks going overseas for medical care because the cost here in the US (in many cases, even after their insurance paid their share) was so darned high. In some cases, folks who would have been left with bills of $50,000 or more ended up having to pay only 1/10th that cost overseas (including the travel cost) - and these were in places you wouldn't expect, such as Thailand, India and Mexico. In each of these cases the care the folks received was on a par with care in the US - using US trained doctors and the latest equipment and techniques. In fact treating Americans overseas has become a big business and one particular hospital in Thailand treated something like 50,000 Americans last year. With so many uninsured Americans nowadays (45 million or so) around 500,000 head overseas for their medical needs.

It used to be that only the US had the latest and greatest of everything, but this is no longer the case. The world is changing and everyone else is catching up with us - and in some areas surpassing us. Look where the biggest buildings and other large impressive construction projects are - few are in the US anymore. The tallest building in the world is in Dubai (1,800 feet and STLL climbing - it will dwarf anything in the US) with the next tallest in Taiwan, then Singapore and with other giant structures going up fast in China.

Like it or not, the rest of the world is modernizing and standards of living are rising fast in many of the countries that have been traditionally very poor. The 21st century is going to be very interesting indeed and it will be a far different world in 2100 than it was in 2000.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement