Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,837,655 times

Advertisements

The poles I was referring to were done by the CFE as regular telephone type of poles..not clothes line poles. These poles were high enough so that a person could not climb one if they wanted to. The govmt saw that people had access to electricity. She was a head honcho(a) responsible for 7 power plants in Mexico...need I say more?. Stefhen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,788,177 times
Default Good info available

There are several good forums for info on retiring to Mexico. I, too, have been considering it, since I have lost so much of my retirement funds in the last few months with the stock market decline. I can't afford to retire in the US, unless I find a very inexpensive place in the next few years. Once I am able to collect SS (in 2 years), I will consider the move strongly to south of the border to one of the areas populated with American and Canadian ex-pats (for support, since I would be moving there solo). Two good websites/forums for people to get started are: chapala.com " Your Window to Mexico " and Buy the Book Here. Join the forums and read the threads on retirement, visa requirements and living there. It's a good place to start.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:07 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,788,177 times
Default Website names

For some reason, the San Miguel website I listed in the message above has a strange title. The website's URL is below (leave out the spaces between the words when you type it into your browser and add the dots after www and before com).

www Falling in love with San Miguel com

It is about the city of San Miguel de Allende.

The other website is about Lake Chapala (www chapala com)

Old 01-24-2009, 12:30 PM

384 posts, read 986,599 times
I love Mexico, and at one point considered it for retirement. Today, however, I would not consider it because it is too unstable politically and economically. Ex-pat communities are no guarantee to security as they are likely to become more of a target in today's environment (understandably so in a country with extreme poverty right next to those little American oasis's).

Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,464 times
San Miguel de Allende offers magnificent a place as a continued care retirement community, even an Alzheimer's pavillion in a separate facility, but inside the entire developement. Perhaps San Miguel de Allende is one of the most beautiful cities in MexicoVisit [url=http://www.cielitolindoassistedliving.com]Cielito Lindo Assisted Living in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico[/url]

Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,009 times
I would like to know they way Mexican elders would like to be cared? Can you help me? Im a registered nurse from Philippines and i'm pursuing my master's degree in Saint Lois University, Baguio City Philippines.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,480,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Valencia View Post
San Miguel de Allende offers magnificent a place as a continued care retirement community, even an Alzheimer's pavillion in a separate facility, but inside the entire developement. Perhaps San Miguel de Allende is one of the most beautiful cities in MexicoVisit Cielito Lindo Assisted Living in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
I lived in SMA, Ajijic, and Huatulco for many years. All safe, good health care, very affordable.
SMA has a great new hospital. Ajijic is only 8 miles from Lake Chapala with all medical facilities and 35 miles from Guadalajara.
Don't believe everything you read or hear from people that have never lived there or second hand stories. The best source is people that have or do live there.

you can own land
http://www.bajabound.com/before/legal/rights.asp

health insurance
http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1...-resource-page

you can buy in to Mexican Medical Care
http://www.medtogo.com/apply-IMSS-Me...-security.html

Old 09-23-2010, 03:05 PM

14,300 posts, read 14,095,170 times
Everyone knows there are drug wars going on in Mexico. I wonder if everyone knows that these have claimed 30,000 lives in about two years. Its higher than the casualty rate among US soldiers who were serving in Vietnam during those years. Mexico's government is neither very stable nor effective. If it were, it would be able to put an end to the drug wars. Most observers think that Mexico is becoming a dangerous violent place.

I try to imagine the reasons why someone would want to live in a place like Mexico. Is it the cheap standard of living? Is it the desire to hire a servant so you can be waited on hand and foot? Is it just good weather? If so, wouldn't a small home on the gulf coast in the USA suffice almost as well?

I'm sure there are Americans who will continue to seek out some mythical version of a "tropical paradise" no matter what the dangers are.

Who knows? They had a violent war or revolution in Mexico from 1912 to about 1920. Its estimated this conflict killed between 1-2 million Mexicans. Maybe it will happen again.

Trading the stability and familiarity of the US for cheaper living is a bad bargain. Think long and hard before moving folks.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,837,655 times
This above poster has apparently NEVER spent any quality time in Mexico and is speaking from either a bad experience or vastly uniformed.

The person needs to speak with some who are living here for a accurate evaluation of Mexico.

I lived in Mexico City for three yrs and DROVE all over Mexico and now reside in Baja for 14 yrs.

Thousands of Americans are living here and NO...we do not have servants...cheap or otherwise. That is a BAD missapply piece of garbage.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,328,551 times
In 2008 I went to live in Mexico to see if it was where I wanted to retire. I stayed for 7 months and in the end decided it was not for me for a variety of reasons. However I met many happy expats there who are very satisfied with living there. Before I went I spent hours on the computer learning about life in Mexico. I suggest you look for a couple books you can get and read online. Go to home-sweet-mexico.com for a book called "Mexico: The Trick is Living Here" by Julia Taylor. Also look for another e-book called "Midlife Mavericks" by Karen Blue.

Craigslist is a great source of information about the availability and rents for all different kinds of housing options. Just select a city near where you'd like to live and browse through the listings. I lived a little outside of Puerto Vallarta in a town called Bucerias.

Your computer is your best friend in this endeavor. Well, your next best friend. Your best friend will be to go down for an extensive visit before you make the big decision.

DM me if you want more feedback on what I learned living in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement