U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:23 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somwhathip View Post
I did a double take when i saw this post for "retirement villages". The term is more of an Australian, New Zealand, and British idea. In practice they seem to be a type of CCRC - Continuing Care Retirement Community - a place that combines independent living, assisted living, and a nursing home. In New Zealand in particular there appear to be retirement villages in each NZ state. They differ in type and are tightly regulated. It appears that people generally buy into these "villages" and thereafter have certain clearly identified rights and privileges.
This made me think of that BBC show "Waiting for God"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 11:37 AM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Some of you may be interested in the new book "Leisureville" by Andrew Blechner. It's largely about the Villages and I saw it reviewed favorably in (I think) the New Yorker.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:04 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,981,700 times
Default Peachtree City, GA

[quote=somwhathip;3845465]
Normie, you have been discussing/researched 3 of the biggest and most popular active adult communities - The Villages, Hot Springs Village, Peachtree City. quote]

If you're talking about Peachtree City, Georgia, it's not a retirement village, but a small planned community of people of all ages where lots of folks ride around in golf carts. There are many, many airline people there, as it is reasonably close to the airport. Friendly, safe and pretty. Not especially inexpensive, though.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:08 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,981,700 times
Default The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Some of you may be interested in the new book "Leisureville" by Andrew Blechner. It's largely about the Villages and I saw it reviewed favorably in (I think) the New Yorker.
I read an excerpt of this book and it sounds very interesting. The writer is a man in his 30's who was upset because his dear retirement age friends had moved to the Villages. He went to visit them in FL and wrote the book.

I read on-line about a 2006 epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases being rampant at the Villages at that time (even among 80 year olds). So it must be quite "social" there! They do have a monthly Community Development District fee of about $150, plus the HOA fee ~$130 based on a $250,000 home. But it seems there is lots to do there and a good time for all. There is also a forum "Talk of the Villages" that you can log onto and read people's comments and concerns.

Just make sure wherever you go there is a dog park. It seems many people in retirement communities walk their dogs (even on the golf course at night) and don't always pooper-scoop. The park helps keep the rest of the area clean.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:47 PM

8 posts, read 24,112 times
Default Living at Lake Hickory, NC and Lovin it!

Our search took us to our utopia on Lake Hickory, North Carolina. We are about an hour northwest of Charlotte. Year round constant water level, sandy bottom, no traffic, great schools, lots of golf, and all of the stores, malls, restaurants are less than 15 minutes away. And about half the price of Lake Lure, Lake James, or Lake Norman. We found [URLMod cutwebsite to be very help in looking at Anchors Landing and Plantation Pointe on Lake Hickory. Good Luck in your search!

Last edited by Waterlily; 10-14-2008 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: no link ads

Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,449,524 times
I had to comment on normie's post about lots of single women in retirement villages.

A friend of mine ( male, single) moved permanently to South Texas ( he was a snowbird for years)

I teased him that there probably are a lot of rich widows there.

He replied, "Yup, but they only want to spend your money, not theirs"

Old 12-20-2008, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 12,802 times
Default Great spots in New England

Our family has had great luck at Piper Shores in Scarborough, Maine. My aunt is there and loves it. Their website is Piper Shores: A Lifecare Retirement Community in Coastal Maine. Another place she looked at was Pomperaug Woods in CT (Pomperaug Woods, a lifecare retirement community located in Southbury Connecticut), but she wanted to be nearer her sister in Maine. Both places are lifecare facilities which is a great relief for her and for us - we know she will always be taken care of. Hope this helps!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Dahlonega's way north--up in the mountains. We like it, the people here are great. But to tell you the truth we may be moving again next year. We live in a unique house and someone is interested in buying it. And I discovered I miss my cookie cutter house. Unique architecture isn't as thrilling as I thought it would be. Meanwhile, my girlfriend moved to South Carolina. I helped her buy her house and in the process fell in love with Greenville and a little town called Clemson. So... things may be changing. We'll see.
Norma I am very familiar with the Greenville area...and Clemson. You will really enjoy the area. Highlands, N. C. You wil get to know as a delightful town too. My husband was at Clemson and I a student at Anderson hospital. When you are near a university, I feel your "safe " to aquire an intelligent atmospher.
We are going to the Villages from Tx. Since my hisband's sister has been there for 5 yrs. it's the season of our life to bring the 7siblings closer together. I'll be coming back to east Tx....hopefully ..Lord willing. Happy living....

Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 PM

3,029 posts, read 7,186,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann Anderson View Post
Norma I am very familiar with the Greenville area...and Clemson. You will really enjoy the area. Highlands, N. C. You wil get to know as a delightful town too. My husband was at Clemson and I a student at Anderson hospital. When you are near a university, I feel your "safe " to aquire an intelligent atmospher.
We are going to the Villages from Tx. Since my hisband's sister has been there for 5 yrs. it's the season of our life to bring the 7siblings closer together. I'll be coming back to east Tx....hopefully ..Lord willing. Happy living....
Ruth you need to check the dates of Normie's (not Norma) posts. This thread was started five and a half years ago and he posting about ending up in Georgia in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or