U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 AM

10,717 posts, read 9,596,867 times

Advertisements

As I was watching TV tonight, I was shocked at how many commercials where AARP was endorsing insurance products. United Heathcare med Supps and New York Life Term Life, only 2 companies, but played over and over.
What other organization(s) gets involved in such things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 AM

10,562 posts, read 8,949,909 times
Absolutely! And I think it's terrible that so many elderly people still believe AARP exists for the sole purpose of making their lives better. They trust AARP totally and dont realize that its name is for sale to the highest bidder.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,646,724 times
The AARP used to have companies peddling their wares who offered a discount to members. In those days membership paid off.

Now the 'discount' amount is still available, but it goes to the AARP bureaucracy instead.

If you purchase any AARP product, you generally are paying full market price, or a bit above.

I get the magazine but do not buy products that they advertise. Whenever I researched for anything that I wanted I found a better deal elsewhere.

Because of the heavy influence of drug and insurance industries, many people claim that AARP lobbying favors them (where the money comes from), rather than the membership.

I think, many times, they do not have the interests of the elderly as their top priority.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM

19,236 posts, read 16,600,198 times
Doesn't bother me a bit. Been onto them for almost two decades and don't pay them any mind at all. They never truly represented seniors, just their chosen politicos, and have always been after others' money.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 AM

15,952 posts, read 12,589,472 times
I belong to AARP because they give me the best deal on Auto/Homeowners Insurance in Arizona. That was not the case in California

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,757,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Doesn't bother me a bit. Been onto them for almost two decades and don't pay them any mind at all. They never truly represented seniors, just their chosen politicos, and have always been after others' money.
^^^ This....

Ever since I was approached by a "Save the Children" representative to "adopt a child", told her I had no money to do so, and she immediately insisted that I should put my kids in the program instead, and told me how they operate (put the kids in old clothes, take pictures of them dirty and in sand pits, near abandoned houses, etc) to pull heartstrings, I have trusted no "benevolent organization" to protect my own interests, or to take my money to "help others" without a thorough investigation. AARP never passed the "smell test"... especially when they started endorsing candidates.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,231,478 times
I am a member of AARP and support their overall goals. That said I have found few of their "AARP Endorsed Whatever" to be the best. I refer to several insurance offers and some cell phone offers which I have looked at.

Like many businesses, AARP is for sale to its advertisers. As a reult of this, I do believe they mislead people into thinking their endorsed offerings are the best when quite often they are far from the best offers.

I think it is a double shame on AARP as their primary members are the elderly who are more susceptible to believing AARP and to being duped.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 AM

827 posts, read 1,003,253 times
I recieved a letter from AARP saying send back this card and you will not have to pay the 16 dollars to rejoin.Get in touch with them and demand the same.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 AM

8,689 posts, read 12,494,590 times
AARP is just another insurance company with a non profit front. Complete fraud.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:37 AM

2,862 posts, read 4,019,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson513 View Post
aarp is just another insurance company with a non profit front. Complete fraud.
bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement